MultiCut anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Too much time on my hands and I was actually reading some stuff on the Oregon web page, instead of just looking at the pictures.

I ran into this description of Oregon 'MultiCut' chains which have a reported "extra-heavy-duty chrome plating applied with an advanced plating process to withstand . . . tough, dirty conditions" for cutting in "dirty or abrasive conditions" (see below).

Just curious if anyone had any experience with these chains (e.g. M72LPX compared to 72LGX) and could report on whether these chains: Really hold up better? Keep their edge longer? Sharpen OK? Cost much more? Significant difference or not that noticeable?

Thanks.

Philbert

attachment.php

My dealer has a spool on account of the Oregon Rep hearing the horror stories around here.

I have been meaning to get a loop and trying it.
I'll try to remember when I stop in next time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks - let us know!

Philbert

I'm down to two "Ugly chains" to use on fencerows and the like, and have a job tomorrow on a bunch of yard trees... I'll be needing a few loops of whatever to be mad at before lunch I reckon. Maybe I'll stop in then.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

phil,

Sure enough, I chewed up two loops to day and stopped in to the dealer.

He's got the injecta sharp crap.... My bust.
I did have him put the M-LPX on his list for the next order though.

In the meantime I am gonna make a Bailys order, and ask if they have the stuff. If so I'll get a couple loops in .325 and 3/8.

Sorry, no feedback yet.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Update.

Got the price from the dealer today. Hang onto your hat..$29.00 for a single 20" loop of 3/8 .050 and he was cutting me a huge break.

It seems because of the price the M series is on 25' spools, and the local distributer just sells individual loops.

It's also on the LPX Chassis for some ungodly reason.
The claims of cutting as well as Carbide, but able to be hand filed is a stretch I think, but we shall see.

Either way it's on order and will be here in a week or so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Update.

Got the price from the dealer today. Hang onto your hat..$29.00 for a single 20" loop of 3/8 .050 and he was cutting me a huge break.

It seems because of the price the M series is on 25' spools, and the local distributer just sells individual loops.

It's also on the LPX Chassis for some ungodly reason.
The claims of cutting as well as Carbide, but able to be hand filed is a stretch I think, but we shall see.

Either way it's on order and will be here in a week or so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you want to try some M73LP I have some and also just got some M91VX for the lo pro guys

Scott

Scott,

Have you tried it or received feedback from your customers?
- does it do what it claims?
- is it worth the extra $?

Thanks

Philbert

Yes I did try the M73LP and for what I was cutting I only used 1 loop if that. I was cutting dirty skidder pulled firewood logs and YES it did stay sharp longer It cut too slow for my likes. Here's the deal it has a much thicker layer of chrome on the cutter which will take more punishment. BUT the drawback is the more chrome the tooth has the duller the cutter actually is! This is why I Like the std. LGX I feel I can get the tooth razor sharp and still have great performance. I did sell some loops to area loggers to try I will say they still prefer LGX. Some members tell how they prefer Carlton and Stihl chain more that Oregon, I will tell you this I am always happier with sharpening a Oregon chain as far as actual sharpness over a Carlton or Stihl chain. Maybe the Carlton and Still chains do hold a edge longer but IMO I feel they are slower than a Sharp Oregon LGX. Now for the M91VX I did order some in for those WEEKEND warriors with their box store throw away saws that think the saw is also a stump grinder and are always looking for tougher chain. I will have to spin some off and sell some to give you a report on that.

FWIW

Scott

attachment.php
I got the call from the dealer today, but got there as it got dark this afternoon. One 20" loop of 3/8 .050 cost me 25 Bucks and shoulda been 30 and change, but he extended it to me at cost to try out.

If I don't go chasing Bambi tomorrow I'll toss it on the 372 and go after a Nice Cherry Log that's been down for a year, and what's left of a Red oak that's been in the sand for a while.

Looks like plain old LPX with Blue cutters to me, and there is no evidence of "Extra chrome" showing that can be considered apparent.

Why they chose the LPX chasis for this I do NOT understand, as it has those silly and useless bumper links, that do nothing but slow things down and irritate folks.

Hopefully the M series will be a pleasant surprise in comparison to the dog terd soft LGX.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

so if the chrome is just a coating then the first time its sharpened will it just be regular LPX?

Nah!

The chrome just supports the angle of the cutting edge. More chrome in theory, will resist abrasion better to a point.

But if the steel under the chrome is dog terd soft and wears from under the chrome support, the chrome edge rolls over and goes dull.... like LGX does.

All chain cutters are chromed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am assuming that the 'extra' chrome is applied to the outside of the cutter (like a thicker layer of frosting on a cake) and is exposed as the cutter is filed or ground.

From Oregon's literature, it appears that the 'M' (for multi-cut) version is available on several of their chains, but not all. They also advertise the 'bluing' of some chains, so I don't know if one is better, or if they are different terms for the same, or if it is just marketing stuff, or . . .

I will be really interested to read dingeryote's comments after he has tried it for a while,

Philbert

attachment.php

I finally got sick of Bambi not showing up for dinner, and went out cutting.

I figured this Red oak that was dropped last winter would make a good first run for the MLPX on the 372. The ground under the leaves is Sand. Pure silica sand as found on the Beach. Last soil samples taken this fall, show less than 1% organic matter on this farm..LOL!!! Tree's around here EAT chains even if ya hose them off, and god help ya if ya skid 'em.

The Multicut seems about as fast as Stihl RM/RMC and Carlton SC, maybe a smidge faster, but is obviously slower than RS or LGX. First several cuts were nice and smooth like LPX and LGX always are. Not bad really..

I ended up bucking and noodling a full sized truck load from this Oak, and didn't touch the cutters up when refueling as I normally do. Not much of a drop off at all and no need really, as it was still throwing nice chips and self feeding right up to about halfway through the second tank, when I figured to get the truck out before loading more wood and getting stuck.
NICE!!! A distinct advantage over RM/RMC or Carlton SC.

On the way out I stopped to Buck up a Cherry stem from a standing dead Ditchline tree I dropped last winter. That's when "It" happened.....
attachment.php

The Jackass that married my wife, forgot about that stem having Barbed wire running a short length with the grain. I never even noticed the fall off in cutting speed, and only noticed the wire when it smacked me in the face rolling the log over.

One tooth had it's "Beak" broke off and mangled the sideplate angle a bit, and the tooth directly opposite and behind got a little Buggered.

Not bad really. I have had wire from that same ditch completely trash a loop of LGX by breaking off cutters.

The Pic sucks but this is about as "Macro" as my Poopy Kodak gets.
attachment.php

When I got back to the barn I grabbed the File and went after the boogered cutters expecting a fight from the "Double chrome".
BAH!!!!!

Pfered files ain't got a problem at all with the Multicut. Maybe a smidge more resistence than RMC, but it only took 8-10 passes to get the worst cutter reshaped and sharp, and the rest just took 3-4 passes to get back to sharp.

All in all?
As initial impressions go, I am quite pleased with the MLPX Multicut.
It's possibly a bit faster, and slightly more durable than RM/RMC or Carlton SC based on this one outing.

But then comes the cost factor. I can buy two loops or Bailys SC, or one and a half loops of Stihl RM/RMC for the cost of this one loop of Oregon Multicut.
I don't think I'll be buying any more loops for regular cutting, because of the price bieng absolutely stupid.

I'm gonna keep it on the 372 for the next attack on a woodlot I'm clearing and see if it does as well on skidded Maples and Elm without any wire in 'em.;)
Who knows, I may grow to like the stuff enough to buy a loop for special occaisions or something.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thank you VERY much for this applied research! It confirmed my assumptions:

1) it does hold an edge better (I generally believe Oregon's statements);

2) it's a bit more pricey and becomes a question of value when it lasts almost twice as long but costs almost twice as much.

Sad part is that the additional cost probably has as much to do with lower volume than actual, additional production costs. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy - if they would lower the price, more people would buy it, so they could produce and sell it in higher volumes, so the price could come down!

Thank you again dingeryote.

I am forwarding rep as soon as the rep Gods will allow it, and humbly suggesting that others reading this thread who gained some insight from dingeryote's field research also send him a bit of rep.

Philbert

Thanks for the link to this thread dingeryote, I don't know how I missed it first time around.

:D

Got quite a bit more time on that loop now.

It's actually pretty decent for sandy silica infused wood. Cuts about as fast as LGX when I'm doing the filing, and then keeps it. The drawback is still the "Beak" getting chipped off though, and of course the ungodly price. Probably cost you a weeks wages down in OZ LOL!!

Leave it to Oregon. They finally make something that isn't CRAP chain, and it's priced for a Saudi Prince LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That Saudi Prince (oh OK, he's really from Dubai) owns the 5000 acres next door but I can tell you they wouldn't fork out for that chain either :laugh:

Which one?
Wouldn't be an Almachtum would it?

If so he's likely to have a saw or 500 handy.
Them boys are Saudi Rednecks.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back