Multiple Trunk Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diakonos

Reaction score
I have a boxelder tree along my property line that has a massive lean and is cracked 1/2"-1" wide in multiple places on the trunk. I'm going to remove the damaged trunk before it falls and becomes a problem. My question is: The trunk is part of a multi trunk tree. If i remove one or two of the trunks will the 3rd survive?

If i leave the 3rd is there anything that could be done to encourage the tree to maintain living eg: a specific angle of cut on the trunks removed, sealing the ends of the trunks with something ... etc? I would prefer to not have to cut that tree down.

0303201629_HDR-01.jpeg
trunk cracks 0303201625_HDR-01.jpeg
Remove trunks with Xs 0303201630_HDR-01.jpeg
Keep trunk with green circle 0303201631_HDR-01.jpeg
stupid tree....

The removal of those two stems will leave large wounds which will slowly decay into the roots and base of the remaining stem.
Some may choose to leave high stumps on the two removed stems and let them sprout out, hoping that this will slow the decay.
The angle of the cut wont change much.

I would recommend removing the whole tree. Looks like the remaining stem will be over the fence. Not an ideal spot for a low value tree with a decaying base.
These trees are weeds IMO. Consider replacing with something less weedy with more upright habit.

Back