Mushrooms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in the Zuni Mountains of New Mexico. 5 months and counting of snow. WWhhAAAAAA.
Anyway we have been getting more and more Mushrooms over the last few years. My dogs eat them. two 7 year old Blue Healers-Cattle Dogs. I asked the Vet last year if they would get sick..."Sometimes."
Any suggestions regarding a Pre Emergent. I have a large area to cover. Any experience with Dogs eating mushrooms would be appreciated as well.
They are waiting for me. Bucho Marie and Ramona Sue. 100% Navajo.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Not all fungi are symbiotic with trees. Dogs are also much different than trees. Depends on the mushroom tbh, but you should try and ID them if your pups are gonna munch on them. I'm not familiar with what grows in your climate but be aware of death caps(Amanita phalloides) appearance. They can look like puffballs when they are young. On the other hand my buddy in Taos has had some good luck finding good edible boletes/porcini at high elevation.

Mushrooms are fungi, not plants. Pre-emergent herbicides prevent plant seedling growth. Many common landscape and houseplants are dangerous and even deadly to dogs, yet the vast majority of dogs somehow know not to eat them. I wouldn't worry about them eating toxic mushrooms, there are far more serious threats out there.

Gotcha. I think I misunderstood what he meant by pre emergent. I guess I don't really use herbicides nor am I familiar with the terms.

I don't want to use Chemicals. However, I will protect my "Girls." They are Navajo Cattle dogs, and the Wild Ones could probably live off old tires. They might.
Could you please quote your source regarding Dogs eating Wild Mushroom?

Thats Funny! If I had goats out here they would be dead within 2-4 days. Then I have to worry about my dogs eating rotting goats.
Coyote, Mt. Lion, and Shitheads too. My Vet was only able to give me an ambiguous answer. "Some do. Some Don't.

I live in the Zuni Mountains of New Mexico. 5 months and counting of snow. WWhhAAAAAA.
Anyway we have been getting more and more Mushrooms over the last few years. My dogs eat them. two 7 year old Blue Healers-Cattle Dogs. I asked the Vet last year if they would get sick..."Sometimes."
Any suggestions regarding a Pre Emergent. I have a large area to cover. Any experience with Dogs eating mushrooms would be appreciated as well.
They are waiting for me. Bucho Marie and Ramona Sue. 100% Navajo.
Go buy 2 electric shock collars. Put them on the dogs and turn them up all the way. When the dogs start to eat a 'shroom, hit the momentary shock button. Don't say anything to the dogs. Depending on how consistent you are with watching the dogs and hitting the button, they will stop eating them after a few zaps. That's how they train dogs to stay away from snakes, especially rattlesnakes - so they don't get bit. If you think it's cruel, just think how cruel and how long they 'd suffer if they ate a poisonous 'shroom and died or almost died from it.

Go buy 2 electric shock collars. Put them on the dogs and turn them up all the way. When the dogs start to eat a 'shroom, hit the momentary shock button. Don't say anything to the dogs. Depending on how consistent you are with watching the dogs and hitting the button, they will stop eating them after a few zaps. That's how they train dogs to stay away from snakes, especially rattlesnakes - so they don't get bit. If you think it's cruel, just think how cruel and how long they 'd suffer if they ate a poisonous 'shroom and died or almost died from it.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back