My CBN grinding wheel comparison - Diamond Corp vs Baltic Abrasives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My first CBN wheel was manufactured by Diamond Corporation and from the get-go I had issues. The major issue was the cutting speed of the wheel, which was painfully slow and prone to burning the cutter. The ground area was almost a mirror finish, but that finish wasn't even close to offsetting the cutting speed. And yes, I tried using the dressing stone to see if that improved the cutting speed. In short it did not. I pulled this wheel off my grinder and switched back to a Stihl rock wheel.

In another grinding discussion there were positive comments about CBN wheels manufactured by Baltic Abrasives Technologies. Burned once, I still opted to purchase a Baltic Abrasives wheel from their storefront in Lithuania. I placed the order on 2/28 and the wheel arrived today 3/14. I immediately installed the wheel on my Stihl USG and the happy sparks flew as I ground 6 long loops of 3/8" chain.
I don't think the grinding speed is as fast as the rock wheel, but it's close, with the added advantage of never needing to reshape the cutting surface.

Of the two CBN wheels I own, the Diamond Corporation wheel is a dog and was a waste of money, while the Baltic Abrasives wheel is everything I was looking for in a CBN chain grinding wheel.

My first CBN wheel was manufactured by Diamond Corporation and from the get-go I had issues. The major issue was the cutting speed of the wheel, which was painfully slow and prone to burning the cutter. The ground area was almost a mirror finish, but that finish wasn't even close to offsetting the cutting speed. And yes, I tried using the dressing stone to see if that improved the cutting speed. In short it did not. I pulled this wheel off my grinder and switched back to a Stihl rock wheel.

In another grinding discussion there were positive comments about CBN wheels manufactured by Baltic Abrasives Technologies. Burned once, I still opted to purchase a Baltic Abrasives wheel from their storefront in Lithuania. I placed the order on 2/28 and the wheel arrived today 3/14. I immediately installed the wheel on my Stihl USG and the happy sparks flew as I ground 6 long loops of 3/8" chain.
I don't think the grinding speed is as fast as the rock wheel, but it's close, with the added advantage of never needing to reshape the cutting surface.

Of the two CBN wheels I own, the Diamond Corporation wheel is a dog and was a waste of money, while the Baltic Abrasives wheel is everything I was looking for in a CBN chain grinding wheel.
Hey John!

I had a similar experience with mine, although my first CBN wheel was a "Diamond Abrasives" brand, and did not cut as badly as you have described yours. However, I also noticed that the Baltic Abrasives wheel cuts a lot quicker and cleaner! Highly recommended!

My 2c

Mike

I smell operater error, How do you slow down a wheel? are you taking .030 per cut? I would concider .006 a heavy cut, with just a quick tap.
I do have a diamond brand cbn wheel, it never slows down, neither do my pink ones.

I smell operater error, How do you slow down a wheel? are you taking .030 per cut? I would concider .006 a heavy cut, with just a quick tap.
I do have a diamond brand cbn wheel, it never slows down, neither do my pink ones.
I said" The major issue was the cutting speed of the wheel, which was painfully slow and prone to burning the cutter."
This doesn't mean that that the rotational speed of the wheel decreased, the cutting speed refers to how quickly the wheel removed material from the cutter.

Latest posts

Back