My Chinese Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After listening to all the good and bad reviews on these saws, like others on this forum I decided to buy one just to satisfy my curiosity. Don't need another 50cc saw, but it's cheap entertainment. The one I settled on is a 52cc saw badged as a SWISS KRAFT INTERNATIONAL.model 5200. It's part of a general Chinese series of 4500,5200,5800 saws and is one of the more common ones. As part of the "grey market chainsaws", it can be found with a lot of different badges, but they are all basically the same saw with different side and top covers. There are distributors in the USA that sell these saws for less than $100 but won't ship to Canada, so I ordered this one from China at $98.00 US with free shipping and paid an extra $25.00 CAN for fast delivery. The main reason I selected this saw is all the parts are available on line from many different sources and they are CHEAP, for instance a piston and cylinder combo is $30.00, which makes this an ideal saw for anyone wanting to experiment with port and squish changes. Saw came with a laminated 20" bar with 4 nose rivets, 0.325" pitch chain, a cute little (useless) mixing container for fuel, a sqrench that was so flimsy it wouldn't remove the plug, a file, a neat fitting bar/chain cover and a good English operators manual. The engine case includes the oil tank and bar mount studs, is all aluminum and seems to be a good quality casting. Cylinder looks to be chrome plated, don't expect any nikasil for this price. Piston has 2 rings and compression right out of the box is 115psi, should improve after some running. Top and side covers are good quality plastic and fit well, although the starter cover has a screw hidden behind the front handle that makes it a pain to remove. Weight with both tanks filled is 13.5 lbs. The other common line of Chinese saws is the Redmax, Earthquake, etc., and this line of saws is REALLY cheap. You can recognize them by the oil tank right beside the fuel tank.

PERFORMANCE:
The operators manual lists the max no load engine speed at 10,000rpm, so it is not a high speed screamer, however it does produce a reasonable amount of power. It has no trouble pulling chips out of 12" of sugar maple but I would not expect it to do the same thing with the whole bar buried in hardwood. I personally like longer bars, but a 18" or 16" one would probably be more appropriate for this saw. Saw has a nice light feel and a good anti-vibe system. The engine is easy to start when cold and after the carb got dialed in, it is a consistent one-pull starter when hot. I have only run about 4 tanks of fuel through it, so I have no valid opinion on how it will perform later on.

IMPORTANT FEATURES:
...Old school controls, separate ignition switch and choke lever and a button on the handle to hold the throttle partly open. No decomp valve. No primer bulb.
...Excellent quality carb with standard 3 adjustment screws. No special tool needed and no lame autotune here. Carb diaphragm kit is $4.00.
... 3 segment steel clutch. Had to make yet another tool to get it off.
... Adjustable oiler driven from the clutch drum. No wasted oil at idle.
...Good rubber carb mounting block and fuel tank is part of the plastic rear handle assembly. Should keep fuel cool and help prevent vapor lock.
...Small lid on rear of top cover can be removed for access to plug and air filter.
...Good nylon air filter. No tools needed to service it.
...Bolt on steel dog spikes.
...Inertia chain brake.

NEGATIVE FEATURES:
...Worst quality chain I have ever seen. Several links were so tight they would barely pivot. Chain had never been properly sharpened and was more chipper than semi-chisel. In keeping with the theme, I bought a replacement chain from China ($10.87 CAN), a much better quality semi-chisel with chromed cutters and after a large initial "stretch", it settled in and cuts like a new chain should.
...Sprocket integral with clutch drum and is a very loose fit on the crankshaft. Replacement drum and rim sprocket available for $13.
...Throttle trigger was catching on inside of handle and I had to grind away some plastic to make it operate smoothly.
...The ground electrode on the spark plug had such a crappy looking weld, I threw it away.
...The flywheel has strange nylon starter pawls. Pull starter has spongy feel, probably because of these pawls. Metal ones are available.
... Paint was peeling off the bar before it was even used. Ah well, who needs a pretty bar.

IS IT WORTH IT?
If this saw is a fair example of the whole line, it has to be a good deal, however quality control, perhaps use of sub-standard material and manufacturing tolerances could combine to produce a few lemons. Long term reliability and how it would withstand heavy use are unknown, but remember if something breaks, the parts are cheap. If these saws need to be repaired, you might not be able to just drop them off at your local shop. They won't have parts, will have to order them and some shops may not even want to work on these saws. Anyway, if you buy a saw for $100, it doesn't make much sense to pay more than that to have it repaired. Parts are cheap but labor is not. The only way these saws are a good deal is for you to do the trouble shooting, order the parts that may take a long time to come and fix it yourself. Another approach, when something goes wrong, is to just buy another saw and keep the broken one for parts, hoping the same thing doesn't break on every saw.

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Are you going to port it? Any chance you weighed it empty? Likely it has a large squish and will respond well to removing the base gasket.

I've been thinking about getting one of the same series, as I have a clone of the G3800 (Earthquake) and one of the G621. This is a clone of the G5000, and takes the same bars and chains as my Poulan 2775. I like to use the Poulan but it has developed a strange tuning issue I have not yet solved, and until I do it might be nice to have a alternate. BTW the 38cc saws are not any cheaper made than the others.

These have dual open transfers, although there are EPA approved versions with a cat muffler and I'm curious if they went to quad transfers on those. It should not be hard to get considerably more power out of it with standard port mods. It's already got a dual port muffler - might just need some additional holes in the baffle plate.

I've had a couple of these saws here in New Zealand over the years, bought for the budget price and for fun really to see what they are like.
Both I have since given away to mates after I've had my fun with them (plus I bought an MS440 so enough said).
They worked well for what they are, powerful enough for the average home owner. Started easily, seemed to need tuning fairly often, cut well if you spend a little time on the chain.

The guys I gave them to are both mechanical dunces, one has been straight gassed but has since been freed up and runs "okay', and the other one still hasn't really given any problems. Both run on 25:1 mineral 2 stroke oil.

Here in NZ you can buy them new for around $160, as a comparison a new MS291 is $1400 new here..so good value. I guess the pros, and those who are fussy won't like them, but the ones I bought paid for themselves many times before I gave them away.

I'd love to see one run with synthetic oil and at 40-50:1..I wonder how long the engine would last. Instructions I got with both saws stated to use mineral oil, not synthetic.

At times here you can see a pallet load of them at $1 reserve, all with faults...so there are plently of faulty ones from new.

For the cost, in New Zealand anyway, they are good value...and when it blows up or gets stolen who cares?

I like the one I have, the muffler is just a hollow can with one large outlet that looks into the exhaust port on mine. I think they stuck with dual transfers on the epa ones.

I'd love to see one run with synthetic oil and at 40-50:1..I wonder how long the engine would last. Instructions I got with both saws stated to use mineral oil, not synthetic.
My G621 clone runs on 40:1, dino, synthetic or blend. No signs of wear, the thing runs great. The only thing that doesn't work as it should now is the high idle throttle prop, but that's because I don't need it.

After sitting for weeks or months I can add fuel, choke it and it will start in a couple of pulls, and it will run along at normal idle. It never stalls or misbehaves at all. Pull the trigger and it will pull the 25" bar through whatever.

I may order one of these to practice porting on. I know nothing and since it is cheap to replace stuff... Is there a specific brand to look for or maybe a trusted distributor to shop?

there's a guy an hour away who sells these for 179.99+tax CAD. i've been tempted to pick one up for the hell of it.

Three years ago i bought a Mcdillen,same saw.It was 100$ from UK plus some shipping(~25$ iirc).Anyway,i started it and made a few cuts and then i gave it to a friend of mine.Nothing to say about the saw,it is heavy and very weak for 64cc,comprare it with an ms 390 there is no much.It still works,i once put a carb kit in it and replaced the starter cover for my friend and thats it.He never clean it,never change anything and still works,it still has the original plug and fuel line-filter.My friend runs it very occasionally but the point is that it still works.One thing that is strange about the saw,i don't know if it has a small gas tank but you need to refill it after a few cuts,very annoying.A muffler modded poulan 46cc is way much better choise than this.

I'd really like to know the powerhead only dry weight of these saws. My G621 clone is less than 12.5lb, and these g5000-based clones may not be enough lighter to bother with.

I am very happy with my original Hitachi CS40EM = Zenoah G 5000. They had them company close out sale a few years ago for ~ 200€! I sure am happy I got two at that time. I sold one to a good neighbor a short time later when I found out just how good they run! The other is my only 50cc saw! It easily cuts with the rest of the middle class 50cc saws.

There are a few members in german forums who use them, they run them at regular 1:50. Some have had very good results some mediocre. As far as I remember most run them more than 10000 rpm. I would not be afraid to run them at 1:50 / >10000 rpm.

Further there is NO reason to snicker on chrome lined cylinders and claim they are inferior to nikasil. Even Stihl uses hard chrome to their top top line pro saws!

I've had a couple of these saws here in New Zealand over the years, bought for the budget price and for fun really to see what they are like.
Both I have since given away to mates after I've had my fun with them (plus I bought an MS440 so enough said).
They worked well for what they are, powerful enough for the average home owner. Started easily, seemed to need tuning fairly often, cut well if you spend a little time on the chain.

The guys I gave them to are both mechanical dunces, one has been straight gassed but has since been freed up and runs "okay', and the other one still hasn't really given any problems. Both run on 25:1 mineral 2 stroke oil.

Here in NZ you can buy them new for around $160, as a comparison a new MS291 is $1400 new here..so good value. I guess the pros, and those who are fussy won't like them, but the ones I bought paid for themselves many times before I gave them away.

At times here you can see a pallet load of them at $1 reserve, all with faults...so there are plently of faulty ones from new.

For the cost, in New Zealand anyway, they are good value...and when it blows up or gets stolen who cares?
My neighbor's SIL is a serial buster of any thing mechanical Several premier division saws failed in his hands, he was bought a Chicom saw by his FIL its been running mostly trouble free for nearly 2 years. Spark plug several carb tune's are the only issues, it's run on Aspin 50/1 so as it doesn't get straight gassed But so far so good

Does it have an RFI chip inside?
Do you ever hear high-frequency noises coming out of it when in the garage.
Does you dog bark at it?

I bought one of the Joncutter saws for testing and after testing I was so impressed with it for the money, I became a dealer. After tuning the carb the original G4500 I bought has become my favorite small beater saw, and in my opinion is 10x the saw a poulan is. This saw starts 1st or 2nd pull every single time even down to -25. Lots of features you just don’t normally see on smaller cheaper saws, and I haven’t had any issues with it. As a matter of fact, I’ve never had a customer have a issue with one either.
Ain’t no Husky. But it’s a step up from the box store saws in my opinion. I’ve been VERY happy with mine.

5794DAE8-7614-447D-B56E-8759C84DA061.jpeg

Latest posts

Back