My firewood processor build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My original ideal was to just build a processor for personal use. Things kind of got blown out of proper proportions. Going big might turn out to be a good thing. I have been at my current job for 39years. I am afraid that after the surgery my company might try to put me on disability. Since I work for the railroad and dont pay social security, its not really a matter of being disabled, but more in just how many of us old timers can the company get rid of and what can they use for an excuse. If they do decide to place me on sick benefits, I am not sure I will even fight them. In that senario, having a very capable processor might just put me in the firewood business. One thing for sure, if I aint railroading, I should have plenty of time to work on the processor.

My original ideal was to just build a processor for personal use. Things kind of got blown out of proper proportions. Going big might turn out to be a good thing. I have been at my current job for 39years. I am afraid that after the surgery my company might try to put me on disability. Since I work for the railroad and dont pay social security, its not really a matter of being disabled, but more in just how many of us old timers can the company get rid of and what can they use for an excuse. If they do decide to place me on sick benefits, I am not sure I will even fight them. In that senario, having a very capable processor might just put me in the firewood business. One thing for sure, if I aint railroading, I should have plenty of time to work on the processor.

I would be VERY careful and completely read through the fine print if they try the disability thing. Around here if you do that they will send out PI's to see if you are working at something else so they can stop benefits. Running a firewood processor would be a field day for them. Just saying be aware of that.

When I was kid, Dad had a neighbor that cut with him. They split all wood down the middle as they used his truck and I helped. He was out on disability as he had to get a colostomy. He was just cutting to keep his house warm as times were tight. Ended up having to quit as he had an inspector come out and look at his hands to check for calluses.

Does it feel like you have gravel in your shoulder and pops all the time when you move it? That what I have in both of mine and I've been told that's the sign of what you are describing. This getting old stuff is for the birds!

Well I wrote a long post about how railroad retirement and disability benefits work, but then decided to just delete as it adds nothing to building a firewood processor. Suffice to say if I do go on disability, it will be the railroad doctors doing it, not me. I could care less if I retire or keep working. I prefer to keep working for 3 more years and then taking regular retirement.

Does it feel like you have gravel in your shoulder and pops all the time when you move it? That what I have in both of mine and I've been told that's the sign of what you are describing. This getting old stuff is for the birds!
No gravel or popping. Just constant pain. cant lift any weight, or lift my arms over my head. Have a hard time sleeping because I cant get in a position where my arms dont hurt. I suspect ( in my best stayed at a Holiday Inn Last nite voice), that what may be bothering you could be bursistis. this is where sac's of fluid build up in between the tendons and bones to provide extra lubrication for the Joints. Could be the sac's have burst and are not providing proper lubrication. You might consider Steroid shots. I'll write the prescription and send it right up to you.

I appreciate the Good Lucks and get wells. Its amazing in a way, I mention having surgery on this site and get all kinds of well wishs. I tell folks here at home and they dont wish me well, all they say is how long you going to be out of work. I guess the whole community is depending on me for their checks.

Well I wrote a long post about how railroad retirement and disability benefits work, but then decided to just delete as it adds nothing to building a firewood processor. Suffice to say if I do go on disability, it will be the railroad doctors doing it, not me. I could care less if I retire or keep working. I prefer to keep working for 3 more years and then taking regular retirement.

I was just referring to them giving you full disability to get you out, then cancelling benefits as you are still doing work around your home.

Really interested in seeing what you come up with on your processor. We get very little straight stuff and lots of larger diameter so it's just not in my future wish list because for my application, it would be limited. Love to watch them though. That Cord King just makes me say WOW.

Didn't mean to derail your thread and sorry about that. Healing now too so I know how frustrating it is not to keep a project going.

Kevin that's how my wood ends up, either big trunk pieces or twisty tops. Very little that would work well in a processor. So I'm planning a bucking trailer to load logs onto straight off my truck parked next to it, buck them, let pieces roll down to splitter side area, split then throw on pile. Someone around this forum has a trailer he built like that. One day maybe adding a conveyor. Possibly add splitter to trailer. Not particularly a processor just thinking of processor type streamlining that can handle anything I get regardless of diameter or uniformity. But I'm not trying to hijack muddstoppers awesome thread.
Muddstopper you have our support in everything, I'm 28 years old and 4 years ago I finished up 6 months of chemotherapy ending in remission of Hodgkin's lymphoma (lung cancer). Had gobs of support. It all helps!

Kevin that cord king is one bad unit! I could watch that all day! Very efficient!

The one thing I dislike about the mutiwedge design is how much fines and slivers they create. Totally understand commercial guys doing it for speed though. Be nice to sell that stuff for campgrounds and bundles if you were selling. I made a 4 way for mine but use it way less than I thought I would. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for more useful product. Got a boiler and years ahead so plenty of drying time. I, like you rarely get consistant straight grained stuff as most of the videos show. Flat out jealous of you guys that deal with that kind of wood. That is if it's hardwood.

Hope you get straightened out Muddstopper and wishing the best for you.

Some of the logs in that video, namely the last few, could have been milled, surely? Or are they low value lumber in a high value lumber area, such that there is more value as firewood? I mean, other than a pretty cool demo-video purpose, would they really be used for firewood in the real world?

Slightly OT, sorry, but I was just looking at 20Ha of mature pine forest land, with some good subdivision and residential building potential (great sea views one side and rural views the other). The trees have never been managed and a large %, if not all, not worth milling. I wonder how well they'd go through something like that blockbuster or CRD Metalworks' rapido loco model.

Also, those larger logs in the video, and ones that didn't centralise before the ram was engaged (a big drop drown to the cradle/chute), are producing splits too big to be merchantable here and would require re-splitting, defeating the purpose of spending megabucks on such a processor to begin with I would have thought. Unless there's some sort of two-stage separator that first separates the debris and then the acceptable sized firewood before dropping the re-splits to another station?

I wonder if they could stagger a second ring of knives to help reduce the number of re-splits needed? It would create a fair bit of extra debris though. On that note, I did see someone had hydraulically adjustable concentric knives. I thought it might have been these guys:
http://www.pezzolato.it , who do some very interesting splitters and processors. If you go to that site, look up the vertical "X" knife and the indexed feed conveyor combo. It looks interesting.

Multi wedges do produce a lot of "small" pieces and splinters. For my use, it isnt a really big problem. I throw them in a bucket and burn them in my shop stove. I'll put a few in a 5 gal bucket and use them to start a fire in the house. I keep a pile by the fire pit. But thats just the junk off about 4 cords worth of wood. I dont know what I will do with the junk if I start processing a 100 cord a year. Bag it and sell it for kindling I guess.

Like others have said, some of that wood they are running thru the CRD machine would probably make lumber. Thats is sort of a catch 22 situation tho. You take down one or two trees from around a persons home. The butt will make logs, but the rest is just firewood. Do you take the one or two logs to a lumber mill, or do you just process it into firewood. Taking to a lumber mill is going to mean a extra trip to remove the wood, probably make more money just turning it into fire wood. I plan on building a bandsaw mill in the future. If I get a log thats worth milling, I can always just set it to the side and mill it later.

Another thing I have noticed is how straight the wood is that manufacturers use to demo their machines. Really, who gets firewood wood like that. If a firewood size tree is cut, its usually twisted, knotty and crooked. Lumber trees are straight and smooth.

Felt like fooling with the processor a little bit today and thought I would post a pic of the splitter cyl mockup. Nothing has been welded and the cyl base will have to be moved back about 30inches from where it is setting in the pic. I fumbled around and knocked everything off the hbeam onto my foot and decided a one arm man aint got no business trying to move anything that heavy and just quit again for now. Might tack weld the pusher plate together just because its ready to weld. Pusher plate is 20in tall and 27in wide. It will have more bracking between the cyl mounts and the edge of the plate. Everything is 1in thick mild steel. Its heavy enough now to over balance the 18ft trailer its sitting on. Of course the hbeam will be shorthened and slid upon the trailer once finished. I just have it hanging off the back to make it easier to work on. 0822151911.jpg 0822151909.jpg

Is that H beam gonna be big enough? What sizes are those cylinders? Looking good!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cyl are 4.5 in x30in with 2.5in rods. Hbeam is 8x8. It will be plated on top with an extra 1/2in to keep the flange from rolling up. I also intend to box the web on both side. It will look like "III". I believe making the web a box will help deflection and twisting more than just welding the extra plating to the web. Cyl's should put out a true 55tons of splitting force at 3500psi, but I plan on trying it out a 47tons and 3000psi just to see how it does. At 60gpm it should cycle at about 7sec.

Yeah, it would be a good idea to start with a lower force to see how it does. that is a lot of force being multiplied being that high over the beam. I used a 6 X 8 box beam for mine(1/2" thick walls) and added to 1/2" plates on both sides so now it is a 7 x 8. I'm just running a single 5 inch cylinder and centerline of rod is 5 inches above the beam. Guy who sold me parts said for a 6 inch, they weld a 1" plate to the top. I've found that a long slide helps a lot with wear issues and spreading the load. 16 inches works well for me. Very interested in seeing this bad boy come to life.

I dont remember the length of my slide, 16-18inches with 14, 5/8 bolts to hold it together. My Hbeam has 1/2in flanges and web. Adding a 1/2in plate to top will make it 1 in thick. Adding two 1/2in plate to box the web will make it 1 1/2 thick. I know from my 6way 5in bore splitter, 6x6 beam I topped it with 1/2 and then added a extra 3/4 to each side, but i didnt extend it all the way to the back edge of the beam. The flange has held up very well, but I have noticed a slight bow just behind where my 3/4 plating ends. Splitting 30-40 in dia rounds 6ways at a pass puts a lot of stress on any beam. With the processor, I plan on a 12way wedge and I doubt my beam by itself will hold up to the stress. I am hoping that when I mount my wedge box I can add enough support by extending framing from the box wedge back to the rest of the processor and provide the extra support I need.

Latest posts

Back