My friend borrowed my Echo CS-590 Timberwolf saw and it now doesn't work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug8498

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

The title pretty much says it all. I've had the saw for over 3 years. I take great care of it and use it maybe 3-4 times annually. I use only Ethanol free fuel mix, and empty out the fuel if I know it will be sitting for an extended period of time. I have never once had an issue starting this saw unless it's quite cold outside.

I brought it to my friend's house the other day after he asked to borrow it. I showed him how to start it, and started it right up for him. That night he messaged me to tell me he had tried starting it a dozen + times and it wouldn't start. I told him to stop trying and would check it out when i saw him next. I now can't get it to start and don't know what he did to it. I don't know enough about fixing saws to diagnose this. Any ideas before I go spend $100+ to bring it somewhere and have them fix it?

EDIT- one thing i should add (if anyone has this saw they'll know what I'm talking about) The little black button on top that is pushed in before starting normally pops out on it's own with a few pulls. It now does not. It stays down.

Thanks in advance!

The one I’ve used was pretty easy to start without the decompression valve. If the valve is buggered, I’d probably plug it rather than buy a new valve.

I wonder if it was just flooded though. He may have missed the “ pop” when starting it.

The one I’ve used was pretty easy to start without the decompression valve. If the valve is buggered, I’d probably plug it rather than buy a new valve.

I wonder if it was just flooded though. He may have missed the “ pop” when starting it.
I'm thinking he may have flooded it. I'm really not sure how he did it as this is a super easy saw to start up. Do you know what I'd need to do to remedy a flooded saw?

I'm thinking he may have flooded it. I'm really not sure how he did it as this is a super easy saw to start up. Do you know what I'd need to do to remedy a flooded saw?
Pull the spark plug, turn the saw up so any fuel can escape, dry the plug and let the saw set for a while to air out, re-install the plug and try to start with full throttle, no choke!

I loaned my ms180 out several times, I wouldn’t do that once I bought my 590. I’m definitely not handing someone the 462 except for a tree buddy of mine.
Hopefully yours was just flooded.

Not enough compression to pop the de-comp, that could be a costly fix.
I truly hope the borrower never even got this saw to start, that should be a cheap fix.
Check for spark, check to see what kind of fuel is in the saw, is the same fuel it left with.
Make sure its switched on, it can happen.
Then as already mentioned, do not push in the de-comp button, only choke for two pulls,
then push choke to off and pull until it starts, don't accidentally pull the throttle while doing this
as you will put the saw off high idle which it will need to start.

thanks all for the advice. I followed the steps you all provided me to remedy a flooded engine and it started on the first try. Phew…
Thanks for the update. A lot of folks just ask for help fixing their saw and when they get it running, they never post what fixed it. Thanks for not being one of those guys.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I'd say 80% of the time a good motor won't start suddenly is because either it got flooded and you need to pull the spark plugs and clean with carb cleaner and put them back in, or it's out of gas or the ignition is off...
Or maybe that's just me

Latest posts

Back