My hydraulic splitter thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
So this splitter has been around for years. Grandpa built it about 30 years ago now, and it sat in the weeds for many years. I drug it out a few years ago, and replaced the motor with a 13HP Honda GX390. The new motor isn't electric start, so I ended up buying an electric start kit so I could have an on-board battery to run a hoist with a winch on it.

The old hydraulic pump didn't last long after sitting for so long so I ended up replacing it as well. It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure it's a 13gpm 2-stage pump.

Anywho, the splitter beam is 1" thick and it's very heavy. The axle sits too far back and is very hard to move around with the implement tires that were on it. The beam also sits pretty low to the ground. The hydraulic tank was a short run of the i-beam that was boxed in, and only held 2 gallons of oil. The small oil capacity, coupled with incorrect hydraulic fittings caused the oil to overheat quickly and after about 15 minutes of operation the splitter would lose a lot of it's splitting capabilities.

Here it sits a few years ago after splitting some oak.
3682c7de.jpg

5047955e.jpg

Well I finally got fed up with messing around with it and decided to modify it. I was thinking of starting from scratch and building an entire new splitter but for now I'm going to modify this one. If I end up building my own it will have a diesel powerplant...

Anywho, I've been tinkering around with it the past week and here's where I'm at. I'm using scrap steel which requires a lot of grinding and wire-wheeling to get a good clean weldable surface but it works.

First off, I had some new hoses made with higher flowing fittings. The old fittings were straight-thread fittings with o-ring seals, but the holes they went into are NPT tapered threads. There were also 150# galvanized pipe fittings being used throughout the hydraulic system. Pretty lucky we never had a terrible accident with one of those.

Quite a difference of inner diameters here. Old fitting on top, new fitting on bottom.
IMAG1043_zps25aa15e4.jpg

We then temporarily fitted a 10 gallon hydraulic tank I bought off of craigslist for $75. Came with two 3/4" hydraulic hoses that I ended up using for the supply and return lines for the valve, and a return filter assembly. The old lines were 1/2" lines that went into 1/2"-3/4" NTP bushings so this also helped with more flow. With the new hoses and fittings, I took about 7 seconds off of the cycle! Definitely worth it there!

Here's the splitter with the tank temporarily clamped down for a trial run.
IMAG1049_zps184f689a.jpg

Now that I'm happy with how it cycles, it's time to break out the welder.

First thing on the agenda is to reverse the hitch point. I welded up a piece of 2x4x.250 steel tubing about 6' long to the i-beam off the "back" of the splitter. I'm doing this because I'm going to swap the wedge and foot to make it a fixed wedge/pushplate setup. I'll be building a 4-way. This way I'll be pushing wood off the back of the splitter and not off the front and into the bumper of whatever the splitter is hitched to at that time.

Here's the new hitch bar welded up, along with a new platform for the hydraulic tank which is made from 2x2x3/16 steel tubing. Keep in mind that all my cutting is done with a grinder and cutoff wheels so my tolerances aren't perfect, but I square things up, tack in place, recheck squareness then fully weld.
IMAG1056_zps7d902b02.jpg

I then welded a 2" ball coupler to the hitch bar, then welded in a trailer jack. I found an a-frame trailer jack on clearance so I made it work.

From there, I cut out a plate from a piece of 1/4" plate of steel I had laying around from when I built my truck bumper. I used this to box in the other side of the i-beam from where the hydraulic tank is. This will be used for a mounting point for some upright supports for a hoist I'll be installing as well. Instead of building a hydraulic log lift, I'm going to be mounting a truck hoist equipped with an ATV winch to lift rounds up to the splitter. I feel this type of lift will help minimize the amount of time I'll need to be bent over rolling rounds to a hydraulic lift table. The lift I'm using has about a 52" reach on it. With the winch I'll be able to grab rounds and drag them over to the splitter from up to 50' away.

So here's the 1/4" thick plate welded to the beam, then the 2x4x.250 uprights welded in place on either side. It will all come together shortly...
IMAG1062_zps91510369.jpg

I'm no welder but I'm pretty happy with my welds. I've got a Hobart Beta Mig 250amp 240v welder and it lays the heat it pretty good I think.
IMAG1061_zps3274b175.jpg

Other side support. This shows the hitch bar pretty clearly as well. I plugged the old hydraulic tank fittings but kept one open to keep from pressurizing the tank and creating a real big problem.

IMAG1060_zps9de1c8be.jpg

Here's the hoist I'll be using.
IMAG1065_zps8b7d5250.jpg

I beveled the 2 uprights and beveled the cross piece where the hoist will mount. I'll be boring through the center of the cross-tube tomorrow to accept a hub spindle that the hoist will rotate on. Easiest way to explain it is to show a picture.

IMAG1063_zps17c32635.jpg

IMAG1069_zps66a8aac8.jpg

And here it sits for now. Still have a bit of work to do.
IMAG1066_zps133c007a.jpg

I am going to be relocating the current axle setup about 12" back to apply more weight to the new hitch coupler. Right now it's nearly balanced but I want more tongue weight than what I currently have. It axle will also be quite a bit wider to help stabilize the splitter when the hoist is in use for dragging and hoisting those big rounds up. Once it's operational I'll decide if I need to make some outriggers to stabilize it even more.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing the finished product in action.

I like the spindle and hub a lot better than mine. I used a one piece bearing assembly off a newer 3/4 ton pickup for my swivel. I would think the bearing and hub will be a little stronger even though I have had no problems yet.DSCN0853.JPG

Looks good Tiewire! Do you like using the hoist with the hydraulics? Is it jumpy at all?

I did some more work tonight. I was able to make an adapter plate that bolts over the hub that is welded to the vertical post of the hoist. Also got the spindle welded in and the hub installed.

IMAG1074_zpsc5cfcb54.jpg

IMAG1078_zps9ae3b9a8.jpg

IMAG1079_zpsccae1b05.jpg

Thanks, I'm planning on relocating the axle tomorrow, then I'll drag it outside for better pictures. If I have the time I'll get the motor put back on and get the winch and battery installed. I'm hoping to have it ready to split wood by Saturday. I need to get going on splitting some wood...

Oh, and can anybody find the scrench being used in the last picture? :p

:) it's the boom pin.

I'm not sure electric will be any smoother than hydraulic. With fluid, you can flow control, where it's either on or off with the winch.

I'd go hydraulic personally.

I will just have to play around and see. I can always strip a bunch of cable off to slow it down some, but then my reach for dragging rounds to the splitter will be shorter.

When I first got it done I cycled boom up and down and decided it would make one heck of a catapult!!! Had to put a needle valve in boom circuit to slow it down. Needle valve is a very big restriction so it also works good to warm oil on cold days. Just boom up and down a few times to warm oil,

Gotcha. I had to patch a tire today so I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I ended up building a new axle using the same hubs that were already on it. Relocated it 12" back and it balances pretty good if not a smidge heavy on the tongue. Once I build the split table off the back it should be a bit better.

Gotcha. I had to patch a tire today so I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I ended up building a new axle using the same hubs that were already on it. Relocated it 12" back and it balances pretty good if not a smidge heavy on the tongue. Once I build the split table off the back it should be a bit better.

Awesome thread! I inherited a homemade splitter last year and rebuilt it just so i can start splitting. Now im thinking how i can rebuild to make it much better than the original builder! Ill follow and cant wait to see it finished!

Well I got everything going last night. I ended up mounting the winch on the tip of the boom for now. I realized I didn't have any log tongs so I ended up throwing some angle iron and square tubing together and made me a set. By the time I was finished it was dark but that didn't stop me I went out and played around with it using some work lights to help me see. I tried getting pictures but it was too dark and the flash made it look really bad so I won't post any of those.

I unhooked the splitter from the Jeep to see how stable it would be when lifting some of the biggest rounds of pignut hickory I had. Widening the axle really improved with stability and it stayed pretty stable. It picked them up no problem and I'm really happy with how little physical work I have to do now to split wood. I still need to add a table at the business end of the splitter to catch the splits from falling onto the ground.

The only thing I'm waiting for now is a remote control that I bought for the winch. The contactor kit I had for it only has a 24" cable on the switch and it made it really difficult trying to keep the log tongs on a piece of wood with one hand and reaching to run the winch with the other. That should be here Wednesday.

I may also incorporate a built in level so I can make the splitter at level as possible when lifting big rounds. If it doesn't remain level the boom tends to swing around and could really make a knot in someone's head.

Well I got everything going last night. I ended up mounting the winch on the tip of the boom for now. I realized I didn't have any log tongs so I ended up throwing some angle iron and square tubing together and made me a set. By the time I was finished it was dark but that didn't stop me I went out and played around with it using some work lights to help me see. I tried getting pictures but it was too dark and the flash made it look really bad so I won't post any of those.

I unhooked the splitter from the Jeep to see how stable it would be when lifting some of the biggest rounds of pignut hickory I had. Widening the axle really improved with stability and it stayed pretty stable. It picked them up no problem and I'm really happy with how little physical work I have to do now to split wood. I still need to add a table at the business end of the splitter to catch the splits from falling onto the ground.

The only thing I'm waiting for now is a remote control that I bought for the winch. The contactor kit I had for it only has a 24" cable on the switch and it made it really difficult trying to keep the log tongs on a piece of wood with one hand and reaching to run the winch with the other. That should be here Wednesday.

I may also incorporate a built in level so I can make the splitter at level as possible when lifting big rounds. If it doesn't remain level the boom tends to swing around and could really make a knot in someone's head.

You'll really like the remote. Mine is cordless which is even better as have nothing to trip or get caught on. You can really keep your output going fast if while one guy is splitting the other can be retrieving another big round to work up.

I mounted my winch on the boom with simple rollers for the angle bends. Works great. I have a manual cylinder on mine but I knew going in I wouldn't use it. Just gave me some adjustment if needed on the initial set up. With the wedge on the ram design, you won't have the wood trying to swing away on the first splits. That is why I went that route too.

I know you will really like it. I can split large rounds by myself now and don't feel tired or strained after a days work.

MVC-018S_55.JPG

Thanks for the info! I love your splitter but haven't been able to find the thread since this new site has come about. I found a few pics online as I was wanting to see how you did some things when I was building mine, but they weren't the ones I was looking for.

I forgot to add that the remote I ordered for the winch is wireless. Supposed to be good for 65' which is good cause I've got 50' of winch cable. :D

I've been wanting to swap my wedge and plate but after I split with it last night, it sure is nice to be able to hang a large round from the hoist without having to worry about letting cable out when the round moves like it would with a stationary wedge and push-plate.

Oh, and a note on the speed of the winch. It's slower than I had initially thought it would be, but I think it's perfect. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I love your splitter but haven't been able to find the thread since this new site has come about. I found a few pics online as I was wanting to see how you did some things when I was building mine, but they weren't the ones I was looking for.

I forgot to add that the remote I ordered for the winch is wireless. Supposed to be good for 65' which is good cause I've got 50' of winch cable. :D

I've been wanting to swap my wedge and plate but after I split with it last night, it sure is nice to be able to hang a large round from the hoist without having to worry about letting cable out when the round moves like it would with a stationary wedge and push-plate.

Oh, and a note on the speed of the winch. It's slower than I had initially thought it would be, but I think it's perfect. :)

Yea, I thought it was gone from here for good as it wouldn't show up but they must be slowly restoring the the old posts as now it is there again. Lots of work for them but glad they are doing it. We owe them one for all the stuff they are doing to get it back up.\

On the swivel: I have a simple handle lock on the spindle so it won't swing at you while you're working up the smaller split.

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

I have the 2 swing away tables too which helps a lot but still on the real big stuff I'll swing the large chunk away and "lock" it out till the other smalls are done. They stabilizers will get most any situation level but it's a nice option to have. On yours you might be able to use a cam clamp for a simple vertical cam clamp

vertical-cam-clamps-7113-4397285.jpg

That would be a fairly easy thing to add.

If you have any questions, ask away. I can easily take pics of anything you have questions about. Kevin

Thanks again Kevin! I really like the simplicity of your threaded lock. My hoist was designed to have the mast slip over a smaller tube like how your setup is, but it was very sloppy and I didn't think it would be very controllable without exerting a lot of force.

The heads of the studs that are pressed from the back of the hub should provide enough meat for a lock of some sort to grab on to. I'll only have 5 positions to lock it in but I'll have to get out there and play with some ideas.

DSCN0853.JPG I'll set mine up so that the side away from me is a little lower. That away when I have a bigger piece to split what won't fit an the beam or table I'll just let swing out of the way. I have a tagline tied to the boom so that when I'm done with what is on beam and table I just swing back over and split some more.

Back