My hydraulic splitter thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Kevin! I really like the simplicity of your threaded lock. My hoist was designed to have the mast slip over a smaller tube like how your setup is, but it was very sloppy and I didn't think it would be very controllable without exerting a lot of force.

The heads of the studs that are pressed from the back of the hub should provide enough meat for a lock of some sort to grab on to. I'll only have 5 positions to lock it in but I'll have to get out there and play with some ideas.

It is a little sloppy and I had decided if it gave my fits I'd put a simple poly sleeve on the inside to keep it centered. Once I used it, there really were no problem. May still do it in time as it's not that hard to do.

My swivel has a tapered bearing in the bottom that all the weight rides on so it turns pretty easy. Makes it nice so that one hand is on the remote and one spinning into position. Sure does beat straining to roll them around, noodling or jockeying the splitter onto the perfect position. You can drag stuff from quite a distance with one finger, NICE!

Well I put some more time in behind the welder today. No pics yet but I built a few tables for either side of the beam. That's a backsaver for sure. They're not wide enough so I'm going to redo them.

I also relocated the winch down the hoist beam a bit too. Kevin, I saw in your splitter build pics how you put it where the free-spool was accessible and realized that was a great idea. I had a 2-ton snatch-block laying around so I mounted that to the end of the hoist beam.

I split for about an hour today before a storm rolled in. I'm absolutely pleased with how it's working. I need to get a battery with a little more AH capacity. The winch had plenty of power for the first 30 minutes or so but then it started to pull the battery down quite a bit and the charging system couldn't keep up. It could still lift but it was slowing way down. If I can get one to last an hour before it starts to slow down that would be ideal then I could take a little break and stack what I split while the battery recharges.

Back