My Milling Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've ran into the same thing as bluerider and curdy on leaving the pith in beams. all the oak, maple and cherry ending up with a large crack down one side. only thing that hasn't done it is some pine.

Haha, my how things change! After repeated attempts to get the sawyer over when both of our schedules would allow it, I decided to go a different route. I met a very nice gentleman not 15 minutes from me with a wood-mizer. He has it set up at his friend's property who also happens to own a tree company and log truck. Sooooo, we've transported most of the wood there. This guy saws every weekend, so that fits my schedule well. Plan is to mill all this up by mid-July...and I think that will actually happen this time!

They are also working on getting set up with a 72" CSM...so those big walnuts will be taken care of as well.

The big white oak was inaccessible for the truck (plus, they couldn't load anymore on anyway.) So I'll still have to hire the other guy to drive up to them...which I'm OK with (he was a nice guy, just really busy).

logtruck1-1.jpg

logtruck2.jpg

THAT's what I need Dan, a triaxle with a loader to haul logs, along with the time to mill them. How many miles per gallon do ya think it gets???? :cheers:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing some finished product there...

THAT's what I need Dan, a triaxle with a loader to haul logs, along with the time to mill them. How many miles per gallon do ya think it gets???? :cheers:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing some finished product there...

I think we'd have a hard time finding anyone who posts to this section that couldn't find plenty of excuses to have one!:) MPG? Who knows, probably the best bet would be to find somebody making biodiesel.

Well, better late than never! Here are some pictures of the milling action from last weekend. Black walnut, black cherry, red oak, white oak, hickory, hard and soft maple were the species for the day. Tomorrow we tackle the big white oak logs back in my yard (got the original guy bringing his mill here...yes, my fingers are crossed!). Then its back to the saw mill pictured here to hopefully knock out as much as we can. Should be a lot nicer milling in 85 this weekend as opposed to 95 last weekend!

My father...well, at least the back of him. We'll both be using the lumber.
Milling1.jpg

Some nice red oak
Milling3.jpg

Black walnut and Steve making a blade change
Milling4.jpg

More walnut
Milling5.jpg

Last edited:
The rest of the pics...

Oak and walnut with a cherry on top
Milling7.jpg

Black cherry
Milling6.jpg

Oak, hickory, and maple
Milling8.jpg

Oak and stickers
Milling9.jpg

And one of the largest pieces of black cherry I've ever seen. Its not mine...but I'm working on making it mine :D
BigBlackCherry.jpg

Here are some pics of the stacks in progress. (These were taken before the covers and weights were added.)

IMG_3600.jpg

Red oak, hickory, and some maple shorts in front.
IMG_3602.jpg

Black cherry and black walnut.

IMG_3601.jpg

Thanks for sharing pics of the milling. Looks like you have a little bit of lumber there...

Hope it all dries well for you.

Thanks Zodiac! Looking forward to completing this project...and obviously the projects that will involve it later on.

Here's a good story...

In the fall of '06 we had a large red oak blow over and it ended up taking another with it on its way down. My son was just as curious and amazed as I was, and we got some great pictures of him with them...including this one:
IMG_2143.jpg

So last week when I was finishing up some stacking he was hanging out with me and climbing on one of the piles...which just happened to be from the tree in the above picture. I asked him if he remembered taking the picture, and he said 'yes'. So I replied 'Well, that wood you're standing on is from that tree!'

His response: :jawdrop:
:)

More Pics

Here are a couple more pics for you guys...

Some really nice ambrosia maple
IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

Neat ambrosia maple with curly figure
IMG_3627.jpg

Even more pics...

And some more...

Red oak slab with some nice quarter sawn ray flecks.
IMG_3628.jpg

Some spalted hard maple. This stuff has a lot of character.
IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

I got to see curdy's stacks up close and personal last Sunday. I envy the room he has to sticker and then store it. Like me and many of us, he is storing wood in a sort of "wood bank" for future use in his woodshop. The more you have though, the more you have to keep from rot and bugs. It's a never ending battle, but I'm not complaining.

Back