My MS201t rehab project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaman64

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been wanting to add a top handle to my quiver for a while. Do minor climbing (just go up evergreens on my property to take all the low hanging branches off), also wanted something a bit more compact for on the motorcycle/UTV while hunting, or to throw in the truck during snow storms trying to cut my way back to civlization. Anyways, was looking for a older 200t but they are going for some big dollars then started reading about the 201t, and how they run pretty good once once the timing is advanced carb limiters removed and muffler is opened up.

Was seeing some go for pretty big numbers, finally found one that looked used and abused on fleabay... Ended up winning the auction, showed up to the house last week. Borrowed the bar and chain off my wife's 192c, took it out side and ran some test cuts on some 10" oak I have in my firewood pile. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it cut (though my experience with a small saw was limited to the wife's 192c, beyond that my smallest saw was my SM260 Pro). Once I knew it cut and ran decent, took it into the shop and started tearing it down and making a parts list. Ordered up new plastics, chain cover, pull start cover, clutch drum..

Some of the damage..
1.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg
The bottom of the chassis had been melted, this thing must have been dropped out of a tree, muffler was hammered and so distorted it actually had started melting the chassis and chain cover....
4.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg
New muffler fits well, no more rubbing and resting where it shouldn't. Opened it up for flow, also drilled the pin out of the H circuit so I had a full range of adjustment. Cut the key on the flywheel and also advanced the timing 8*.

Transferred the brake over to the new cover, also opened up the cover for the muffler...
7.jpg
8.jpg
Still waiting on some more parts to come, should have more stuff showing up tomorrow... Cant wait to see how it runs all opened up.

Nice saw- now. ;)
Ex tree service do you think? They can lead a pretty hard service life.
You one look way nicer than my one now with your new plastics and cleaned up- new OEM parts for these are dear over here- but a new 201TC-M does retail for around $1,750 of our dollars.
I think it probably was, or a backup. I checked the serial number on it and it was one of the early 201T's. Purchase price, and all parts, I will be into it for a total of $450, new ones right now (if you can find them) are going for about $800 here in the US. I did a compression test on it and it was sitting at 150psi. Was going to order a piston and rings, but seeing the compression is still good, and it didnt feel like there was any play in the crank bearings I will leave the internals alone for now.

Got the plastics in, and my bar and chains came in, so I can put my wife's saw back together. Sugi feels close to the same weight as the factory Stihl bar (going off holding one in each hand). I have one of their 32" bars on my big saw and that bar has taken a beating and keeps going, so I am going to be buying them whenever I need a new bar.
IMG_8356.jpg
And replaced some of the burnt up plastics, found someone selling all 3 pieces (OEM) for $25 on ebay so couldnt pass it up. Waiting on the clutch drum then I can get this thing buttoned up and take it for a test drive.
IMG_8357.jpg

Excellent job! Just went through this with my 201tc. Great saw, so much power, light has a feather. Ended up picking up x1 201tc and x3 192tc all for $200 as a bulk auction purchase locally. Need to get some bars and chains for the 192. Good luck!

aa981faa6acdc297352e5430962673d6.jpg

I have a rear handle 192 I got for my wife. Guy at the local saw shop said he calls it the widow saw, all the older women who still burn wood own them because they are super reliable and they can still cut their own firewood. I personally know a older rancher that was running one in her late 80's. I took my wife's for a spin limbing a cedar and it doesnt do too shabby. Debatting opening the muffler up and letting it breath, but fear she might beat me if I mess with her saw.

I do on occasion take out the vintage 2.0. Always starts. [emoji3]
0b65d3e26c4d4c56f0580e870856179b.jpg

A bit more heavier. Still like the way it runs.

Took the saw out, was running Stihl 63PS chain. This thing rips after the timing advance, muffler mod and getting it tuned in wood. Very impressed with how this littel saw cuts. Was running through 6-8" cedar and oak, and I could really lean on it and it was still throwin chips!

That’s awesome! I like the way it turned out. I need to update my bar and add a few bells and whistles to my 201. Was at the store today and I was salivating over a 462c on sales for $1,100 with 2 year warranty. Had to walk away! [emoji3]

Back