My new to me Echo 452VL is sad :-(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This looked like a really nice saw in the pics. It comes in the mail today and I get to looking over it and was happy. Poured a little fuel in the carb and she popped off so that made me really happy. I took her apart and cleaned her up and replaced the fuel line that was melted inside the tank. I pour some fresh fuel in the tank and soon realize it is pouring all over my bench...wtf. Start taking the bottom part of the handle and anti vibe apart only to see some JB weld hidden behind the anti-vibe where its not visible. It appears that the old anti-vibe mounts have aged and allowed them to push up on the bottom of the fuel tank and crack it. Someone repaired it but never replaced the mounts so they cracked it again :-(

I cleaned it all up and JB welded it again. Considered changing the tank but its part of the crankcase too and its just not worth it. I modded the old anti-vibe mounts and turned them into nice solid mounts. Should never have to worry about breaking it again. Letting it sit over night and will fuel her up tomorrow. Hoping she is a good runner. Will post a video and finished pics tomorrow. For now you just get the sad, broken tank. haha

PXL_20210930_223058161.jpg

This looked like a really nice saw in the pics. It comes in the mail today and I get to looking over it and was happy. Poured a little fuel in the carb and she popped off so that made me really happy. I took her apart and cleaned her up and replaced the fuel line that was melted inside the tank. I pour some fresh fuel in the tank and soon realize it is pouring all over my bench...wtf. Start taking the bottom part of the handle and anti vibe apart only to see some JB weld hidden behind the anti-vibe where its not visible. It appears that the old anti-vibe mounts have aged and allowed them to push up on the bottom of the fuel tank and crack it. Someone repaired it but never replaced the mounts so they cracked it again :-(

I cleaned it all up and JB welded it again. Considered changing the tank but its part of the crankcase too and its just not worth it. I modded the old anti-vibe mounts and turned them into nice solid mounts. Should never have to worry about breaking it again. Letting it sit over night and will fuel her up tomorrow. Hoping she is a good runner. Will post a video and finished pics tomorrow. For now you just get the sad, broken tank. haha

View attachment 932375
Dang. If ur jb weld job doesnt work and u can wait, I'm heading to Vermont next month. I have a 452 parts saw up there I'lll send you. It has a good case.

Well...As promised. Pics are not the greatest as the damn camera died in my phone so I used the gopro for the pics. You get the idea though.

Looks like the repair has held up nicely. Cannot complain about the mounts I made either. She will need a carb kit but runs decent as is.

View attachment 932505View attachment 932506View attachment 932507View attachment 932508View attachment 932509View attachment 932510View attachment 932511

Well...As promised. Pics are not the greatest as the damn camera died in my phone so I used the gopro for the pics. You get the idea though.

Looks like the repair has held up nicely. Cannot complain about the mounts I made either. She will need a carb kit but runs decent as is.

View attachment 932505View attachment 932506View attachment 932507View attachment 932508View attachment 932509View attachment 932510View attachment 932511

Great job, glad you got it repaired.
I have an Echo 302S I bought from a pawnshop. I didn't give much for it, and didn't expect much from it. Boy was I surprised. It's one of my favorites now.

Great job, glad you got it repaired.
I have an Echo 302S I bought from a pawnshop. I didn't give much for it, and didn't expect much from it. Boy was I surprised. It's one of my favorites now.
Nice. I think this is gonna be one of my go too's. It's a little heavy, but it's a great feeling saw. I gave $60 for it and am not disappointed.

Seems that the carb is getting better now that it has some good fuel in it. Softening up the diaphragms etc. Started right up today.

Sir, I have the same saw. It was given to me buy my friend. The saw had sat for many years and was sized. Anyway I got it freed up and put a carburetor kit in it, then a oil supply line (it has a manual oiler) and now it runs great. What I cannot understand is why Echo put a 3/8 chain on a 20 inch bar with only 45CC saw. Otherwise it is a good runner. It is built like a bridge and but cuts wood. Another thing about this saw that is nice. You can adjust the automatic oiler from the top, also adjust the idle speed while running .Ken20211002_184437_resized[1].jpg

Probably in the same league as the 452VL, my Echo CS-4500 is a great saw in my book. I run an 18" bar on it with .325" pitch chain:
View attachment 932739Yes, I had to do some minor rebuilding, but it was worth it. The saw always starts, always runs well, and I have no complaints. Cheers!
Nice looking little saw. Echo loves those banana bars. I see them all the time on echo saws.

It's always risky to buy used things. Never know what fault might appear. I'm convincend expensive proven reliable things are actually cheap on the long run! Got f..ed far too many times with ***** stuff! Although it sounds different even the idle sounds interesting!

I know this an old thread, but wanted to share my super clean 452vl I picked up a few days back, could nearly pass as new......:)
View attachment 1151095View attachment 1151097
I have 4 of these saws. I am convinced they will survive a nuclear blast. I have yet to actually kill one, and they were well used when passed to me ( my great grandfather, and both grandfathers bought them new and the small engine guy across the street gave dad a parts one years ago).

Back