My new wood splitter: Wolfe Ridge Mfg.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get one with a bypass. You shouldn't have that much pressure on the return line anyways. If you do, there's something wrong then.
Yes, I was thinking about a bypass with a relief valve and have it set low (5-10 psi?). I'll probably just keep the throttle down and never have to worry about it again though. That's the easiest solution.

The pressure is coming from the high flow rate of the oil through the filter. The filter is a restriction (like back pressure from a muffler). The more flow you try to pass through a restriction the higher the inlet pressure is.

The filter might only be built for 10-15 GPM (no way to determine that as it was a random oil filter from Napa that fit). Try passing 20 GPM oil through a filter that's only rated for 10-15 GPM and it will get ruined.
No worries, the splitter is plenty fast around 300 PTO RPM.

Mine I think bypasses at 25psi and there's no adjusting to it. Got it from surplus center. Does a lot of bypassing when I first fire it up and get some heat into the oil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm sitting in my woods right now while my little girl takes a nap in the stroller. I would be splitting wood, but my buddy is coming over this afternoon and I don't want to split it all before he shows up. Anyway, my neighbor is running her hydraulic splitter maybe two tenths of a mile from here. Could be a little less. Man am I happy mine's tractor powered!! That damned thing is over there screaming it's guts out and whining away at the same time.

I suppose it'd be more tolerable if you were standing next to a splitter that was actually productive, but in her case it's a regular wedge-on-ram dinky little thing.

My wedge is on the ram too, I think I like it that way. Stuff that needs re-splitting stays close.

My wedge is on the ram too, I think I like it that way. Stuff that needs re-splitting stays close.

I hear you for sure. On the other hand I really like that my splitter pushes the splits off the table and into a nice pile.

Exhibit A:rps20170530_132345_904.jpgVery little of this wood was touched by my hands. I lifted it onto the splitter with a pickaroon and hit the lever. Of course very little of it needed resplitting.

I got a little more wood split during nap time today. This is some nice white oak that I'm planning on selling or burning during winter 2018-2019.

rps20170531_131832_582.jpg

This area was a huge round pile of splits that I burned this spring making syrup. I figured it was about 10 cords. Got a long way to go before it's full again. I'm planning on bringing rounds over to the pile and once I stack most of the perimeter, I'll just fill in the rest by pushing it off the splitter. I'll have to toss some up in the middle to get it high enough that a tarp will shed water.

You are definitely getting your moneys worth out of that splitter already! If Julian ever gets tired of cutting rounds let me know and I will come out and help you.

I'm working on it, that's for sure! It'd be great to meet up again, Steve and get to run some saws this time. That MillerMod 550 is something I'd love to try out. I've never run much for classic saws either, like those homelites or Macs you've got.

Mine I think bypasses at 25psi and there's no adjusting to it. Got it from surplus center. Does a lot of bypassing when I first fire it up and get some heat into the oil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks, will look into one in the future.

I'm working on it, that's for sure! It'd be great to meet up again, Steve and get to run some saws this time. That MillerMod 550 is something I'd love to try out. I've never run much for classic saws either, like those homelites or Macs you've got.
I'm hoping to have my XL-103 up and running in the next couple of weeks and my 6-10 just needs fine tuning after a new carb kit. I'd be happy to bring a few of them out sometime.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...1-4-NPT-70-GPM-ZINGA-RETURN-FILTER-9-4543.axd

That's what I'm running. I need the high gpm as I have a 3.75" rod in a 5" cylinder and hit about 65 gpm on the return stroke. It does have a gauge on it that tells me the psi.......I think it came with it, but I can't say for sure. I just ordered it and gave it to my builder that built my splitter. Good stuff to know though.
Excellent, thank you for the link. I will check the existing filter adapter NPT size. Maybe the adapter is sized properly but had the wrong filter. Maybe I can put that filter on my adapter and all will be well.

Nice think about 3pt. set up is you can have it on the ground and roll rounds onto it or raise it to waist height or what-ever?

Nice think about 3pt. set up is you can have it on the ground and roll rounds onto it or raise it to waist height or what-ever?

Totally. This one has brackets for a log lift. At the time of purchase it would have run an extra $600, which I thought was very reasonable. I wanted to try without it, since I was already stretching my budget. I find I don't lower it to roll big rounds onto it (definitely could though). Instead I generally pick up any real big ones with my loader tractor and bring them over. I'm in the lucky position of owning two tractors though. :)

Latest posts

Back