My Va. craigslist add

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cralph

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Pass it on if you know of anyone.... What do you think?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/1913451776.html

I am looking for someone that works for a Hearth Store,Chimney sweep,General contractor or has expirience with installing a free standing woodstove chimney. I need a class A chimney installed from the ceiling through the roof,and just dont have the guts to tackle the project myself with the whole cutting a hole in my roof and all. I want it done the right way and will pull permits and inspections through the county but dont like the quotes ive received through different local companys. i will help, be a laborer,be a runner whatever just want someone that knows what they are doing and could use the side work. im not wealthy and work a blue collar job myself so would rather pay you than your company to benefit both of us, it will be kept between us not your company! please respond to this add and i will contact you immediately to come take a look at what ive got!!!

Thanks
Chris

Keywords; Woodstove / installation / labor / hearth / chimney / sweep / work / paid / help / fireplace / wanted / freestanding

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

dnmw6t.jpg

liability Ins. it aint cheap , do it your self and save the money , except when your house burns down , pay the pro's and cover your self .

Pass it on if you know of anyone.... What do you think?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/1913451776.html

I am looking for someone that works for a Hearth Store,Chimney sweep,General contractor or has expirience with installing a free standing woodstove chimney. I need a class A chimney installed from the ceiling through the roof,and just dont have the guts to tackle the project myself with the whole cutting a hole in my roof and all. I want it done the right way and will pull permits and inspections through the county but dont like the quotes ive received through different local companys. i will help, be a laborer,be a runner whatever just want someone that knows what they are doing and could use the side work. im not wealthy and work a blue collar job myself so would rather pay you than your company to benefit both of us, it will be kept between us not your company! please respond to this add and i will contact you immediately to come take a look at what ive got!!!

Thanks
Chris

Keywords; Woodstove / installation / labor / hearth / chimney / sweep / work / paid / help / fireplace / wanted / freestanding

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

dnmw6t.jpg

Stackwood has it right. Not sure about where you live but here you have you be licenced and insured to install unless you install yourself. Insurance company sends rep out to inspect and they ask questions, if you can't answer them they will ask who did the install. No answers, no name and guess what no insurance. I did my own but I'm a carpenter so I knew what needed to be done as for the chimney I did it exactly as per instructions but mine was a simple install. Inspector asked questions and I had answers he wanted.
Maybe you can find a carpenter who will do the hole on the side then pay a qualified company to do the chimney install.

Alright..... From the first few replies I can see how the threads going to go, and I understand what your saying. I would love to have a "turn key" operation waiting when I got home from work one day and I understand different places = different prices but the few estimates I've gotten have all been within $100 or so dollars if $1800, is that fair even though it seems to be the going rate or us that a rape job?

That's parts , labor , permits.... The whole shooting match, and just fir some background the house is 1/12 stories , cathedral ceilings and the ceiling is 14' or so where the hole would go up?

Is that $1800 including the actual cost of the chimney components, any materials needed (fireproof cement board, high temp caulking, etc), and all the permits?

If so... go for it. Chimney components alone are worth $1000+ new. And if you did it yourself, you would need to factor in the time to go to the city, do the paperwork, have it inspected...

Alright..... From the first few replies I can see how the threads going to go, and I understand what your saying. I would love to have a "turn key" operation waiting when I got home from work one day and I understand different places = different prices but the few estimates I've gotten have all been within $100 or so dollars if $1800, is that fair even though it seems to be the going rate or us that a rape job?

That's parts , labor , permits.... The whole shooting match, and just fir some background the house is 1/12 stories , cathedral ceilings and the ceiling is 14' or so where the hole would go up?

Just to go from stove thru a 8' high flat ceiling with 6" pipe and 4/12 pitch pitch roof will cost you close to 450/500 in pipe/parts at retail (not including labor)that's with only 6' of pipe from ceiling up. Take more or less a full day to install what you have pictured with one man-more if you have to do alot of re-framing. Single wall pipe is pretty cheap, it's the rated chimney that's pricey. I'd say it's a fair price-pull the trigger. :cheers:

I can appreciate your point of view on this.
How about putting together a material list so you'll know the cost for parts?

The quote you have doesn't sound too bad to me, but I'm not there.

If you are planning to heat solely with wood, likely this will pay for itself in a short time.

Last edited:
My chimney cost me about $100/ft installed. It's 24' tall. Triple wall flue pipe isn't cheap.

Ian

I will be unpopular with this, but do some careful research, planning, and due diligence and tackle it yourself. I needed a Radon mitigation put in and got quotes from three different places for 1800-2000 dollars for just the mitigation system. All these people told me it was impossible to do safely DIY and needed to be done by a certified radon professional. Yeah, right....

I did about a month of research and planning and installed it myself, plus put in a backup sump pump, plus sealed the sump pump, plus bought a continuous radon monitor all for a grand total of $900. My radon dropped from 4.0 to .5 and has stayed from .5 to .9 for the last two years.

And with all this, you can ensure it will all be done how you want it and not worry about having to hawk over your installer to make sure he is not taking shortcuts.

I do all my projects this way, simply because I don't trust anyone else to do it right. I am betting you can do the same with your piping, I would give it a go.

Last edited:
I need a class A chimney installed from the ceiling through the roof,and just don't have the guts to tackle the project myself with the whole cutting a hole in my roof and all.

If the stove is against an outer wall, you don't need to cut a hole in the roof. Send it out through the wall and then up and around your eve. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow.

Ian

Don't use my woodstove all that much the last few years as I have installed an OWB but when I do fire it up I sleep well at night knowing that it was installed by a certified pro. Yeah it cost a few bucks more but the guys were in and out of here in one day and the job was done right. If your house happens to burn down and you tell the insurance company that some guy from craigslist did the install do you think they will pay ??

That does sound like a decent price considering what your situation involves. I know my simple one was almost $1000 in chimney parts alone. I did the framing myself but I didn't have a cathedral either. Mine was a steel roof so a little more work than shingles.
Sounds reasonable especially considering you have several bids in the same range. No the next step, never hire anyone who isn't recommended by someone you know. Don't just ask for references make sure you check the references.

Well, "tomorrow" turned into 2 days.

The part about this setup that I like the most is that I can run a brush through most of it from ground level outside. Taking the inside pipe off the wall thimble consists of removing 2 screws and lifting the pipe off the stove. If I had a setup that went through the roof, I'd have to climb onto the roof, brush it, and then vacuum the stove out. This way the vast majority of the mess stays outside.

Ian

Last edited:
Looks good Haywood! That's ALOT of stainless pipe.... Do you have any problem getting it to draft? One of the guys that gave me an estimate said it would be more expensive and I wouldn't get as good a draft if I went through the wall, something about all the bends ?

No problem with draft at all. It's triple wall insulated outside and double wall inside. Your guy was right in that it's ideal to keep the bends to a minimum and inside the house envelope if you can, but this has worked out for me just fine. The guy that did mine said to go vertical as far as possible before turning to go out the wall. With your cathedral ceilings, you can stay vertical longer than I could and more of it would be inside the house envelope. I'd guess that it would work at least as well as mine. My wife thinks all that exposed pipe looks hideous and wants to put a chase up around it, but the money isn't there at the moment. We were told that it would work better with an insulated chase, but I have no complaints so far.

Ian

Back