Mystery chipper I brought (woodchuck?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of the spur of the moment online auction things. Perkins 90hp engine, 12 inch, and owner thinks its american. My guess is that its an early woodchuck 12 inch but am not 100% sure. I take delivery of it in a few weeks.

Needs some love, but was wondering what this model is like and what to look out for.

Any more pics? Does it run?

Start with the usual; oil and grease everything. Try turning the disk by hand. It should turn freely. Check the clearance on the anvil, make sure there's nothing in the chute. Check the tank for water, consider draining it, adding some of that water absorbing stuff and refilling with fresh fuel. Don't change the fuel filter until after you get her running. Besides that, just the usual. Check bearings for play, have a listen to everything and see how it sounds. You don't want to feel or hear any scratchiness when rotating the disk. Sharp blades, and a correctly set anvil with a nice square edge.

Shaun

One of the spur of the moment online auction things. Perkins 90hp engine, 12 inch, and owner thinks its american. My guess is that its an early woodchuck 12 inch but am not 100% sure. I take delivery of it in a few weeks.

Needs some love, but was wondering what this model is like and what to look out for.

its a woodchuck wc17

jo6wo,

Is the following quote about you true? Whats your side of the story? Heres alpineman's side from the thread. Maranuk Equipment in PA.
This statement about Joe is very correct!! Beware, i just purchased a bucket truck and i paid top dollar for a truck that only made it 5 miles off of the lot. Joe then refused to help us get it fixed after I paid the expense of flying two guys out from Colorado to drive it back. My guys are now stuck somewhere in PA with no way to get the truck fixed! Worst buying experience ever. Joe made numerous claims to make the sale and then did nothing to back it up in the end. Buyers beware!!!

to make a long story short

i sell quality equipment, we run every piece of equipment through a DOT certification process, along with the boom certification, di-electric testing and OSHA certs, to keep the customers cost down to a minimum some customers choose to buy a truck without our state certified mechanics looking it over first. some customers opt out to have anything done to the truck and want the cheapest price possible, otherwise i personally stand behind every piece of equipment i sell to give a customer a piece of mind ! well this particular customer chose to have NOTHING done to the truck and acknowledged this on his bill of sale, he bought the truck 10,000 cheaper then it would of cost him if we had treated the truck up to our standards witch are the highest in the industry for safety and the whole reconditioning process, the end result was that rear brake caliper was frozen on the truck from sitting and it needed a shot of pb blast to get it moving again. any tree guy knows you have to be a on the fly mechanic in this line of work and this truck was no different. out of the 300+ trucks a year we sell this is the first unhappy customer. he sent UNeducated drivers to pick the truck up. it was a CDL truck and neither of them had CDL's and they were gonna wing it from pa to CO, the statements that i was absolutely no help to him is absolutely not true. we installed a brand new caliper and pads on the pass side rear of the truck for the customer and he was still not satisfied and i told him to have a good day. i appreciate your guys concern for a fellow tree guy as im a tree guy myself

i sell quality equipment, we run every piece of equipment through a DOT certification process, along with the boom certification, di-electric testing and OSHA certs, to keep the customers cost down to a minimum some customers choose to buy a truck without our state certified mechanics looking it over first. some customers opt out to have anything done to the truck and want the cheapest price possible, otherwise i personally stand behind every piece of equipment i sell to give a customer a piece of mind ! well this particular customer chose to have NOTHING done to the truck and acknowledged this on his bill of sale, he bought the truck 10,000 cheaper then it would of cost him if we had treated the truck up to our standards witch are the highest in the industry for safety and the whole reconditioning process, the end result was that rear brake caliper was frozen on the truck from sitting and it needed a shot of pb blast to get it moving again. any tree guy knows you have to be a on the fly mechanic in this line of work and this truck was no different. out of the 300+ trucks a year we sell this is the first unhappy customer. he sent UNeducated drivers to pick the truck up. it was a CDL truck and neither of them had CDL's and they were gonna wing it from pa to CO, the statements that i was absolutely no help to him is absolutely not true. we installed a brand new caliper and pads on the pass side rear of the truck for the customer and he was still not satisfied and i told him to have a good day. i appreciate your guys concern for a fellow tree guy as im a tree guy myself

Thanks for your side of the story. It sounded from the original post to be a much more series problem. As with all used equipment, the buyer must know what he is looking at. I bought a grapple off you a couple years ago. It was a light duty grapple, and i have over time had to repair it because i was using it harder then it was intended to be used. I can not be mad at you because I knew it was light duty when i bought it, and you gave me a good deal on it.

Thanks for your side of the story. It sounded from the original post to be a much more series problem. As with all used equipment, the buyer must know what he is looking at. I bought a grapple off you a couple years ago. It was a light duty grapple, and i have over time had to repair it because i was using it harder then it was intended to be used. I can not be mad at you because I knew it was light duty when i bought it, and you gave me a good deal on it.

well thats cool that you understand and i hope to do business in the future, and im glad to hear that you understand that with any kind of equipment you will need to fix things on a daily basis, post pics of the grapple you bought off me, i would like to see it to job my memory

more pics

Post more pics. Specifically of the disc and side profiles. It kind of looks like a Woodchuck but not quite. I don't think its an old Morbark.

Whatever you do, DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM TRI STATE FORESTRY EQUIPMENT (jo6wo), unless you like to pay for a over priced pile of crap with a new paint job.

Back