Mystery problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike27m

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a used Makita 6100ea about 5 years ago and had nothing but problems til it blew the other day. Thinking about trying a top end rebuild, as I've recently replaced recoil starter, clutch drum, carb, bar and added carbide chain.
Here's the problem, before it popped, I had a recurring issue that I never figured out. The saw always cold cranked easily and cut like a beast BUT after it got hot, it would die with any throttle, like it was fuel starved (hence the new carb, which didn't effect the problem at all).
-I cleaned the spark arrestor and even tried removing it temporarily. Also emptied the fuel and replaced the filter.

To be clear, it, after it gets hot, it'll still crank right up and idle indefinitely but as soon as I BARELY touch the throttle, it bogs down and dies. Before I invest the time and money into it, I need to know if I can correct this. What else could it be??

Bought a used Makita 6100ea about 5 years ago and had nothing but problems til it blew the other day. Thinking about trying a top end rebuild, as I've recently replaced recoil starter, clutch drum, carb, bar and added carbide chain.
Here's the problem, before it popped, I had a recurring issue that I never figured out. The saw always cold cranked easily and cut like a beast BUT after it got hot, it would die with any throttle, like it was fuel starved (hence the new carb, which didn't effect the problem at all).
-I cleaned the spark arrestor and even tried removing it temporarily. Also emptied the fuel and replaced the filter.

To be clear, it, after it gets hot, it'll still crank right up and idle indefinitely but as soon as I BARELY touch the throttle, it bogs down and dies. Before I invest the time and money into it, I need to know if I can correct this. What else could it be??
Bogging coming off idle is too lean on low screw. Did you try to fatten the low setting?

Yup, vac test before you do anything else... That way you know where you stand & what you may need to fix to prevent the new top end going the same way

Back