Need a 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kel71

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Getting old, selling off my bigger saws. Want to step down to a 40cc saw. The best dealers by me
are Echo and Husqvarna. So I am looking at the Echo CS400 or the Husky 435 , 440.
I want to keep the price down around $300.
What do you think?

I have the CS-400. Starts easy and cuts great. It fits nicely between my CS-3510 and CS-490. I did a mild muffler mod for a little extra power. The CS-400 has been out for awhile so lots of new and used saws and parts. The saw is easy to tune and maintain.

Getting old, selling off my bigger saws. Want to step down to a 40cc saw. The best dealers by me
are Echo and Husqvarna. So I am looking at the Echo CS400 or the Husky 435 , 440.
What do you think?
But thats a Dolmar 5105 on your avatar... what would you want an Echo 400 for ?

Id say MS241cm, but there is probably lots of saws at you place that does the same job.
Thats the power of a 50cc doin the weight of a 40cc ..

Can't speak on the Echo's. My son's first saw was a Husky 435. Got it in 2015, still runs great.

Good luck, NYH1.

If your looking for a lighter saw the 3510 is almost 2lbs lighter than a 400. I picked up a 3510 for $50 this summer but haven't cut any wood yet. It feels a lot lighter than a 400. My favorite small echo is the 2511p but it's $400-450.

Had zero issues, surprisingly, with a 2015 435. It's due to replace the spur and has eaten maybe ten chains. I file them. My saw came with no bucking spike and no provisions for one. 16 325 NK 66dl of full chisel runs just fine on them. Good for limbs with good AV.

Tighten all the screws twice if you get a new one. Mine came slightly used and many screws were almost loose. Clutch has never been off yet. It does not cut more than ten inch logs.
41mm bore just like the 440. Not a good felling saw unless your cutting brush size saplings.
YMMV

Between my Husky 440 and my Echo 400, I choose my Echo every time.

I've had my 400 since I was a kid (at least 10 years) and it has needed nothing but bar oil and gas since then. I could probably tune it and get more rpm on the top end, but I like to brag that I have never needed to tune it. Fantastic saw. Great performance for the price. Don't expect it to easily pull an 18" bar. It can do it in softwoods, but not well. 16" is the sweet spot.

I only run the Husky because I feel obligated to run it once in a while so it gets some exercise.

If your looking for a lighter saw the 3510 is almost 2lbs lighter than a 400. I picked up a 3510 for $50 this summer but haven't cut any wood yet. It feels a lot lighter than a 400. My favorite small echo is the 2511p but it's $400-450.
my 3510 always surprises me in how well it cuts, even though it's small and light it does really well as long as it's not real big stuff ( old growth redwoods)

What do you think?
I have an old cs370( same as the 400 nearly) that has been used beyond its capacity for over 12 years. I bought a new cs400 this year while they still make them because it’s such a durable and dependable machine.

Back