Need a different approach for dealing with large buckthorn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm a homeowner who is doing his best to eradicate the buckthorn on his property but my methods have been slow and clumsy, so I'm here to ask if there are other, better tools to help me in my fight. Another reason for my post is that over the weekend, 2 of my old, homeowner level saws decided they were not going to run, so I might spend a little time tuning them but I'm getting to the point of working on them more than I run them; might be time for something new.

A decent amount of the buckthorn on my property is small that can be handled by a blade on my trimmer, but a lot of it is big (2-6" in diameter) that requires some type of saw. I was using an old top handle 30cc Homelite or my old 32cc Poulan to prune the trees down to nothing to get rid of them. My 3rd saw is a Poulan Pro 5020; I know there is a lot of hate for the Poulan's around here but that is what I could afford at the time and actually runs pretty well. But it is too big for most of what I have to do. These bigger trees are highly branched with multiple trunks, and many of them are overrun with wild grape vines so I am trying to clean up quite the intertwined mess.

When I had all of my trouble over the weekend, I thought that a new chainsaw in the 25-35cc range was in order. I want something small and light that I can get into the thick brush and make my cuts. I've read several threads regarding the guidance and disagreements over top-handle saws being used on the ground. I'm not ruling out a top-handle out yet, but I'm focused on rear handle saws or other solutions. Then I began to think that maybe a pole saw/pruner is really my answer:

- I can reach above my head safely
- I can stand away from the chunk of canopy or trunk that I'm cutting, so I'm not having everything drop on my head
- I could cut the grape vines up higher to help pieces of the tree fall
- No concerns with kickback (that I'm aware of)
- Other benefits I'm not considering?

A new, small chainsaw would have more overall utility, but I have plenty of buckthorn to justify the cost of a power pole saw (if that is the best choice). If I could only buy one for my purposes, should a pole saw be my focus or a small, more reliable chainsaw? A manual pole saw and a chainsaw are possible, but 2 pieces of power equipment are not within budget. I've used a low-end manual pole saw before and did not care for it. I've never used a power pole saw before or a higher end, manual pole saw.

Ideally this is what I need (forestry cutter on skid steer) but I do have enough of this stuff growing in areas that you would not be able to get a skid steer into (other side of a stream, wet areas) to warrant some manual removal.

Thanks!

What trimmer do you have now?

A Stihl FS-90R. I know that I can get a pole saw attachment for it, but last I checked, it was pricey. I did not buy it at the time because I could get a dedicated pole saw for the same money (albeit, not Stihl), with longer reach, and wouldn't have to fuss with converting things back and forth.

What are the prices on the Stihl pole saw attachment these days?

I have several limbing saws and extra blades. The Buckthorn was eating me and my pickup going to work. I would usually just take a saw out and wack away. As I was spilling more and more blood I came up with the idea to mount a blade on a shovel handle. It tales a little effort but has proved to be very effective against the dreaded bush. Thanks

Attachments

• LMBLD.jpg
    LMBLD.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 12
Many years ago I was cutting under a buckthorn cannapy of 16 or 20 ft. multiple trunks, it started to fall then spun around & just whacked me on the head, drove one a them thorns an 1'' under my scalp.

Many years ago I was cutting under a buckthorn cannapy of 16 or 20 ft. multiple trunks, it started to fall then spun around & just whacked me on the head, drove one a them thorns an 1'' under my scalp.

That's why I want to stay away from it! I prefer to deal with it in the fall and winter when I can be covered in heavy clothing. Anytime I get poked by those thorns, they seem to get infected pretty quick.

I have several limbing saws and extra blades. The Buckthorn was eating me and my pickup going to work. I would usually just take a saw out and wack away. As I was spilling more and more blood I came up with the idea to mount a blade on a shovel handle. It tales a little effort but has proved to be very effective against the dreaded bush. Thanks

The manual pole saw I used before had a very long, flimsy pole and the blade would bend and bind by just looking at it. Your idea has me thinking! Maybe a 10" blade (stiffer than a longer blade) on the shovel handle would be a nice budget compromise.

Had the same thing happen. That was the last time I cut without a helmet. Not even a single quick cut is made helmetless in the woods!

Okay Harley, your logic has convinced me to look into the pole saw attachment for my FS90R closer...

I called my local Stihl dealer and you are correct, $200 and that appears to include the bar and chain. I went to ebay looking for used units and found one new in the box (no returns though) and placed my highest bid. Within minutes I was outbid. Then I went and looked at used units on Ebay and they have "buy it now" prices of $150-180 (PLUS shipping), all of them beat up, some of them included bar and chain...I'll pay $200 for a new one with dealer support at those prices!

Then I started looking at the "junkers" on ebay. Looks like you have 2 tiers - the ultra cheap @ $20 with only 1-2 clamping bolts, then you have the pricier $60 units that look like an exact copy of the Stihl units. If I were to go with one of the units that look a little more robust, by the time you add a bar and chain, you probably have $100 into it so I will have to think on that.

I've never warmed up to the idea to spending a ton of money on a used chainsaw; too much unknown in how the engine was cared for. But what would the general opinion be on buying a used model of a pole saw attachment like this? Is there much to go wrong/break in one of these? I won't pay $160-180ish for a banged up unit, but would $100-150 (depending on condition, including shipping) be fair? Obviously, if I get outbid, the market is telling me that it is worth more but I just want to set my expectations.

Thanks!

I love my pole saws - I happen to have battery powered units: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/

But I thought that buckthorn needed to be pulled out by the roots to be effective?
View attachment 626206 View attachment 626207

Philbert

There are a couple approaches. One is to pull the tree out, but that is only effective on smaller trees and assumes you can get a tractor or other equipment close to the tree. Many of the places I'm trying to clear are on the other side of a stream and/or too soft and/or too tight. The hand puller like you show might work but I have way too many to use that. Also, I've read that a risk with yanking trees out is that you are disturbing the soil and basically planting any seeds that are laying on the surface. I will probably start having some emerge, but I want to minimize an explosion of them.

The other approach (the one I'm using) is applying herbicide (trichlopyr) either to the bark (basal bark application) or to the cut stump. On the biggest trees, basal bark is not as effective.

A few years ago I tripped on a bush that I had just removed and received several thorns into my leg as a result. I immediately pulled all the thorns out I thought. That same day my leg felt like it was on fire, but gradually subsided. A couple months latter I did almost the same thing and again stopped to pull out the thorns, but as I was digging around for the thorns there it was about an inch log that had made my leg so uncomfortable. When I have to remove limbs that can not be reached by a pole saw I resort to a rope saw. I have cut limbs as large as 12'' at 70' high. A few months ago had an Oak tree that was leaning over a fence and roadway. I did not want to do any fence repair or let wood onto the roadway so got the rope saw out to remove it. The rope saw that I had was one I had from many years ago, but it was one you could buy from a building supplier. It was too lite to go through a solid large limb. I took a chain and modified it with a 100' rope on each end and it was the ticket. It took several trial and errors to get it just right, but works well. Thanks

If you are going to get a used pruner, consider an Echo. Unless it was brutally abused the only thing usually wrong with them are carburetors and you can put a cheap Chinese one in it and get working on a tight budget.
For thorns in the 2"-3" range you may consider buying a carbide tipped circular saw (Tsumura or Sanei), but your FS90 will struggle with it. They work the best with engines 35cc and larger.

If you are going to get a used pruner, consider an Echo. Unless it was brutally abused the only thing usually wrong with them are carburetors and you can put a cheap Chinese one in it and get working on a tight budget.
For thorns in the 2"-3" range you may consider buying a carbide tipped circular saw (Tsumura or Sanei), but your FS90 will struggle with it. They work the best with engines 35cc and larger.

When I was talking about "used", I was talking about a used Stihl pruner gear head/gearbox to bolt onto my existing Stihl trimmer.

Back