Need a Good 20 Saw Plan (Stihl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
026 is back together and running well. Thought it had an 18" bar but it's a 16". It hit 14,400 when tuning it. Had more to go, but I didn't want to lean it out any more. Richened it up to where it topped out at 13,000 unloaded. If it doesn't clean up in the cut/loaded, I'll lean it out some.

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6953.jpeg
    IMG_6953.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6954.jpeg
    IMG_6954.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6957.jpeg
    IMG_6957.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
I'm much less ambitious. I have a 3-saw plan: Small / Medium / Large. Done. 353 / 372XP / 390XP. Yes, it's always nice to buy a new saw, but once that "new saw smell" is gone -- it's just a saw. For 99%+ of the cutting I will do, this line-up works.

JQ
Add a top handle and you’ve pretty much said what I bring to most jobs. Mine are Stihl, but displacement of them are about the same or close enough.

026 or 024 Super, MS441CM, and MS650. Then the MS200T or MS201TCM if I’m climbing.

Lately I’ve fallen in love with this MS241CM. For such a cute little thing, I’m always surprised and smiling over the speed, response, and overall performance. It’s really a lot of fun to use.

What’s Husqvarna got for professional grade rear handle 40cc class? Anything that’s comparable to the MS241?

One has to be cautious with the Stihl`s, they proliferate quite quickly. One starts out with a couple and before you know it your past 50 of em and still more keep showing up, somehow most all models and different cc`s but carry the same family colors.

One has to be cautious with the Stihl`s, they proliferate quite quickly. One starts out with a couple and before you know it your past 50 of em and still more keep showing up, somehow most all models and different cc`s but carry the same family colors.
That's an affliction I'd like to have. Lol

I've only got three saws. Two pretty much the same, a 260 and new 261 for when the 260 has finally had enough, and a 462. For me, that's enough saws, but I am now looking into the Kombi stuff. I'd like to have some of those tools as well.

Your 20 saw plan is missing 2 that I would recommend, an 088 and a MS441.
The 088 is flat out impressive with a few simple mods, I've run an ms880 an it definitely doesn't catch the 088 in stock form.
I really like the ms441 and its M-tronic equivalent. The oddity of production and its innovation got me interested ( even though it didn't sell well), alot of the modern stihl saws that came to be had alot of cues from the 441. I find it to be like a big version of the MS361 with its durability and anti-vibe. Worked over just mildly they are a force to be reckoned with.

I've only got three saws. Two pretty much the same, a 260 and new 261 for when the 260 has finally had enough, and a 462. For me, that's enough saws, but I am now looking into the Kombi stuff. I'd like to have some of those tools as well.
There’s not much you can’t do with a 462 and a 261. Might need a few bars for each but that’s a lot cheaper than buying more saws.

Your 20 saw plan is missing 2 that I would recommend, an 088 and a MS441.
The 088 is flat out impressive with a few simple mods, I've run an ms880 an it definitely doesn't catch the 088 in stock form.
I really like the ms441 and its M-tronic equivalent. The oddity of production and its innovation got me interested ( even though it didn't sell well), alot of the modern stihl saws that came to be had alot of cues from the 441. I find it to be like a big version of the MS361 with its durability and anti-vibe. Worked over just mildly they are a force to be reckoned with.

All my 1124 experience has been with the 084, so I’m not very familiar with the 088.

as for the 441, I’m about to rebuild an 044 and had planned to keep it but I’ll keep the 038 Mag instead. 044 will go up for sale when I’m done.

I feel kind of guilty that there’s not an 1106 or 1109 series (Contra, Lightning, 070, 090) in the long term plan. Those really are some of my favorite saws and I even run the 1106/1109 group on Facebook. Just not a need for one when I have a nice 076 Supah to scratch my long bar itch.

having said that, I have a half dozen Contras that need to be rebuilt and sold so I’ll have those hanging around for a while.

Back