Need advice with double tie in system for climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New to climbing here so any advice is welcomed

I have a question regarding long straight trees where throwing a throwing line is not an option (like a very tall Doug Fir treee or similar).

How do you tie in twice ?

I have a wire flipline and a lifeline with a splice at the end.

What are my options in such situations?

Do I attach a caribiner at the splice, wrap it around the tree and move it up or down and use some sort of friction hitch to attach to the rope so i can ascend/descend?

Cheers

Don’t side load a carabiner. You can use a running bowline to choke the stem, I’d suggest using a Scott’s lock or a comparable finish with the bowline. You can use whatever ascend/descend method you choose with it. As Jolly said, don’t spike trees that aren’t being removed.

Tie a rope with a running bowline around the tree, connected to a mechanical device like a rope runner, and then for your second tie in, use either an overhead (climbing) line, or if spiking the tree, another lanyard, such as a steel-core lanyard. The running bowline should cinch up if you slip.

The best advice you could get is in case you do not have it yet, go buy Jeff Jepsen's book "The Tree Climbers Companion". If you do have it, reread the section on split tail climbing. That will give you a second tie in point and you can use same as your lanyard until you get to a point to unhook it and advance it over a limb(with wire flipline allowing you to be always tied.

I have a rope with a splice when I split tail climb that I girth hitch around a rope snap. The rope snap tosses around limbs good just be cautious with it dont knock out your chicklets.

Back