Need another saw and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwiseman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have owned a MS290 for quite a long time and it does what I need it to do for the most part. That said, we just moved and to some wooded property. I would like to get a new saw that is relatively small and reliable that would work best for trimming, thinning, pruning and limbing bigger trees that fall.

I am Running 18" bar with 3/8 yellow chain on the 290 and also have a 16. This will continue to work for cutting up some of the bigger stuff and a backup, but it is a bit heavy and clunky for small stuff.

Good news is I have a great shop 5 miles up the road that can take care of any stihl products. We do also have a couple places that can handle husky and other brands. I checked around quite a few places and Stihl products and a handful of these have great stock of pretty much the entire lineup. Probably 10 or more places to get husky as well, but most are not carrying more than a few options and don't fix what they sell.

I narrowed down my list to what I believe are good options, and it really comes down to how small should my small saw be. When I do tree stuff it is a least several hours to a full day. I would rather spend a bit more than deal with a fussy saw. Not enough days to be fixing stuff instead of doing stuff.

MS201 C-EM - nice power and weight, but a bit high on cost and probably not as widely available. 3/8 PS3 chain
MS211 C-BE- more common, a bit more weight and less power than the 201, but price is better. 3/8 PM3 picco chain
Husky 440 - nice power to weight and reasonable price, .325 chain. probably more hassle to service, but warranty is better than stihl
MS251 - maybe a bit of overkill for light work, but it does have full profile .325 RM3 chain that might stay sharp longer than picco/low profile. little more power and weight. lots of these in use
MS261 - better saw in most ways, more power less weight than 250 but more $ and potentially overkill

Not sure if the Mtronic and easystart make sense or not. More stuff to break? Should I be be considering the smaller ones like MS171, MS194, MS151?

If I had no saw at all, I would probably go with the MS261, but thinking the 290 will eventually need to be replaced and going a bit smaller makes more sense.

I have read a lot of good info, and would really appreciate some thoughts on which small saw you all would recommend knowing that I am looking for baby bear and momma bear combo. I have no need for a poppa bear saw but could possibly see going to 60 cc range if the 290 dies off.

I would say, your analysis is spot-on. You've laid it all out...just short of a decision. I suspect, any of the options you have mentioned will be fine.

But, since you are asking...MS261. Maybe after running the 261 you will want to sell the 290 and buy a 60cc saw; maybe after running the 261, you will want to sell the 290 and buy something smaller than the 261.

But, you will really like the 261, and really not want to run the 290.

Welcome to AS.

Roy

I have my eye on a Husqvarna 550xp mark2 for this exact role. Stihl makes good stuff too, and is preferable if that’s what you have local support for.

A good 50-55cc saw is about what you want.

I’d stay away from the pico / lp chains. .325 is a good bit tougher and can do more work for you. 3/8 is probably more than what you need, but it’s a good pitch.

I would say go one of two routes:
1. Sell the 290 and buy a 261 and a 462
2. Buy a rear handled 35cc super light saw and keep the 290

My personal opinion is 1. I don't see a reason to own a rear handled 35cc saw myself...but I'm 35 and in good shape so the 261 is plenty light to me, and having a 70-80cc falling saw is way more important to me than a lighter limbing saw.

3/8 LP works great for the right size saws. The MS241 is about the upper limit for it. It's a great saw for smaller stuff and limbing. For brush I use an even smaller 3/8 LP saw, an Echo CS352, which is super easy to start but is kinda slow on limbs over 6" or so.

A MS261CM would have slightly more power than the 290 and weigh over two pounds less. You might try that as a potential replacement for the 290 and to handle the smaller tasks as well.

3/8 LP works great for the right size saws. The MS241 is about the upper limit for it. It's a great saw for smaller stuff and limbing. For brush I use an even smaller 3/8 LP saw, an Echo CS352, which is super easy to start but is kinda slow on limbs over 6" or so.

A MS261CM would have slightly more power than the 290 and weigh over two pounds less. You might try that as a potential replacement for the 290 and to handle the smaller tasks as well.
Right, there's a torque limit on the low profile chains. It really seems to be designed for the 30cc and below saws. For those, it's great! My occasional use ego battery saw is a LP 14" and it's a little ripper for what it is. Doubt it could pull a 3/8 though. :0

I would say, your analysis is spot-on. You've laid it all out...just short of a decision. I suspect, any of the options you have mentioned will be fine.

But, since you are asking...MS261. Maybe after running the 261 you will want to sell the 290 and buy a 60cc saw; maybe after running the 261, you will want to sell the 290 and buy something smaller than the 261.

But, you will really like the 261, and really not want to run the 290.

Welcome to AS.

Roy
I like this answer. When I cut firewood, I take two saws to the mountains. But I only run one unless I get in trouble. It’s too much work for me to clean/sharpen more than one when I get home. So if the 261 is big enough, buy it as your main tool with the 290 as your backup.

The Husqvarna 570 seems to be the first choice here. The boys are young and strong yet. My youngest son just purchased a 390 Xp. My oldest son I gave him a jred 920, 86 cc.

Right, there's a torque limit on the low profile chains. It really seems to be designed for the 30cc and below saws. For those, it's great! My occasional use ego battery saw is a LP 14" and it's a little ripper for what it is. Doubt it could pull a 3/8 though. :0
Dont tell my 4-5hp 54cc saw, its running 3/8lp and cutting great.
I set it up like that for cutting muddy trees on atv trails which wrecks chains, those little chains are half the price of .325 chains and just as fast cutting if not faster.
Stihl even sells a kit to put 3/8lp on a ms261c, so its not just for 30cc saws.

Don’t worry, I’ll keep your secret! Any engineer knows that when you give a product a failure specification, the legal department guys kick it back with a note to cut off 25-50%.

No surprise the smaller chains cut faster, all else equal. It just has as thinner kerf. Removing less material means less work.

Everyone has to do their own caveman calculus on this, but I’m going to dispute the idea that 3/8LP is cheaper. I only have one saw running it, but I find it goes dull FAR faster. If it hits something chains don’t like, ALL the teeth are instantly damaged because there’s only a few of them. It also has fewer sharpens because the teeth are shorter.

I narrowed down my list to what I believe are good options, and it really comes down to how small should my small saw be. When I do tree stuff it is a least several hours to a full day. I would rather spend a bit more than deal with a fussy saw. Not enough days to be fixing stuff instead of doing stuff.

MS201 C-EM - nice power and weight, but a bit high on cost and probably not as widely available. 3/8 PS3 chain
MS211 C-BE- more common, a bit more weight and less power than the 201, but price is better. 3/8 PM3 picco chain
Husky 440 - nice power to weight and reasonable price, .325 chain. probably more hassle to service, but warranty is better than stihl
MS251 - maybe a bit of overkill for light work, but it does have full profile .325 RM3 chain that might stay sharp longer than picco/low profile. little more power and weight. lots of these in use
MS261 - better saw in most ways, more power less weight than 250 but more $ and potentially overkill
Based on your description of what you are going to be using this saw for, IMO you are one the right track with the MS201 - it will run a 16" bar nicely and its power to weight ratio will keep you safe (not overtired) and smiling (it performs very nicely).
It's higher quality (price) means it may last you a lifetime...

Thanks all for the thoughts. I believe the 241s are gone from what I can tell. On top of that, it may be hard to locate the 201 rear handle.

Funny how a 14 lb powerhead is no problem at 40 and makes you think a bit at 58.

I am going to focus on getting a nice 35 cc saw first and then replace the 290 in the next year or so. If I ever need to cut up some railroad ties or do some dirty cutting, the 290 will still have a purpose.

261 seems to make a lot of sense for cutting up the bigger stuff. More power and less weight than the 290. I won't need more than a 20" bar, so a solid 50cc saw should do everything I need it to do.

I did make it up to the husky dealer. He said if you want at good 55+ cc saw, get a husky, but the smaller ones need too many repairs in his opinion. That might be true for a lot of the lower end small saws in general, but was impressed he gave honest opinion on what he sees.

I really like the idea of 201 and 261 combo. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that 211 and 251 seem to be the mainstream saws that get sold and serviced by a big margin.

I'll start with the disclaimers: I'm 52, fat, and out of shape as a guy can be who makes wood year round for sale and personal use. Relatively big volume. I have never owned a husky, ran a few small ones a few times. I don't have the tools, so have never seriously considered. I own 8 saws from 20 to 98 cos z and I have repaired (and therefore "run") nearly every size and price point saw out there.

You would have to pry my MS261 from my cold dead hands. It legitimately does at least 85% of my cutting - from 52" cottonwood to brush clearing. The second I can downsize this saw finds its way into my hands. I can literally run it hard for a 10 hour day.

If I can run a saw all day, anyone can. Add to it that the MS261 can pull a 20" hoop like a boss, it just works. I personally don't know of another saw that is such a perfect combo, but I'm sure Husky makes one, and it is likely a similar quality.

Back