Need another saw and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the west coast, a tree isn't "huge" unless it's over about 6 ft. DBH!
Sounds like the Women we have here in the deep south,,,, they aren't fat UNTIL they are over 200 pounds AND file for Divorce. 😊 Smile. Then we say, thank God,,, the FAT B**** is gone. They are known to grab stuff on the way out the door too. Ha. Ha.

I'd have bought a 241 if they were available in the U.S. I really like my old 024s. They're my go-to saws. I'm trying to find some old 034 or 036 saws, or even 360 or 361s as long as they don't have electronic carberation

I have owned a MS290 for quite a long time and it does what I need it to do for the most part. That said, we just moved and to some wooded property. I would like to get a new saw that is relatively small and reliable that would work best for trimming, thinning, pruning and limbing bigger trees that fall.

I am Running 18" bar with 3/8 yellow chain on the 290 and also have a 16. This will continue to work for cutting up some of the bigger stuff and a backup, but it is a bit heavy and clunky for small stuff.

Good news is I have a great shop 5 miles up the road that can take care of any stihl products. We do also have a couple places that can handle husky and other brands. I checked around quite a few places and Stihl products and a handful of these have great stock of pretty much the entire lineup. Probably 10 or more places to get husky as well, but most are not carrying more than a few options and don't fix what they sell.

I narrowed down my list to what I believe are good options, and it really comes down to how small should my small saw be. When I do tree stuff it is a least several hours to a full day. I would rather spend a bit more than deal with a fussy saw. Not enough days to be fixing stuff instead of doing stuff.

MS201 C-EM - nice power and weight, but a bit high on cost and probably not as widely available. 3/8 PS3 chain
MS211 C-BE- more common, a bit more weight and less power than the 201, but price is better. 3/8 PM3 picco chain
Husky 440 - nice power to weight and reasonable price, .325 chain. probably more hassle to service, but warranty is better than stihl
MS251 - maybe a bit of overkill for light work, but it does have full profile .325 RM3 chain that might stay sharp longer than picco/low profile. little more power and weight. lots of these in use
MS261 - better saw in most ways, more power less weight than 250 but more $ and potentially overkill

Not sure if the Mtronic and easystart make sense or not. More stuff to break? Should I be be considering the smaller ones like MS171, MS194, MS151?

If I had no saw at all, I would probably go with the MS261, but thinking the 290 will eventually need to be replaced and going a bit smaller makes more sense.

I have read a lot of good info, and would really appreciate some thoughts on which small saw you all would recommend knowing that I am looking for baby bear and momma bear combo. I have no need for a poppa bear saw but could possibly see going to 60 cc range if the 290 dies off.

Save money and be happy = Echo CS-361p with muffler mod and a narrow kerf 18" bar

I'll start with the disclaimers: I'm 52, fat, and out of shape as a guy can be who makes wood year round for sale and personal use. Relatively big volume. I have never owned a husky, ran a few small ones a few times. I don't have the tools, so have never seriously considered. I own 8 saws from 20 to 98 cos z and I have repaired (and therefore "run") nearly every size and price point saw out there.

You would have to pry my MS261 from my cold dead hands. It legitimately does at least 85% of my cutting - from 52" cottonwood to brush clearing. The second I can downsize this saw finds its way into my hands. I can literally run it hard for a 10 hour day.

If I can run a saw all day, anyone can. Add to it that the MS261 can pull a 20" hoop like a boss, it just works. I personally don't know of another saw that is such a perfect combo, but I'm sure Husky makes one, and it is likely a similar quality.
100% agreed. The 48-50cc is a go to for me. I love my 026. I run a 3/8 square ground chain and it's my most favorite thing.

OP, did you buy a new saw yet, it's been a while now.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how much quicker he will be getting work done with a saw such as the 261, add in the weight savings and I think it will be a great saw for the work he's doing.
If he was to keep the 290, a muffle mod will help, and then a nice 35cc saw would be another option.
I put a lot of hrs on my small (35cc and smaller) saws, and I'd hate to not have them.
35-50-70, nice 3 saw plan, not that I'm promoting having only 3 saws lol.

OP, did you buy a new saw yet, it's been a while now.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how much quicker he will be getting work done with a saw such as the 261, add in the weight savings and I think it will be a great saw for the work he's doing.
If he was to keep the 290, a muffle mod will help, and then a nice 35cc saw would be another option.
I put a lot of hrs on my small (35cc and smaller) saws, and I'd hate to not have them.
35-50-70, nice 3 saw plan, not that I'm promoting having only 3 saws lol.

i finally purchased a MS201 rear handle and did a muff mod = SMOOTH and SWEET

i will soon do a speed cut test between my muff mod cs-361p and the 201

Both are light saws that cut great

Stihl wins on low vibe but Echo wins on Saving Money

i finally purchased a MS201 rear handle and did a muff mod = SMOOTH and SWEET

i will soon do a speed cut test between my muff mod cs-361p and the 201

Both are light saws that cut great

Stihl wins on low vibe but Echo wins on Saving Money
Awesome, congrats.
I ran a couple tanks thru mine last week and the week prior. I could have grabbed a 40 or a 50, but the 201 rear handle was there begging to go like a Jack Russel wanting to play with a ball, so out it went lol.
I still haven't ran a 361p yet. I have the little 2511 top handle and use that a good bit, but still want a ported 2511 rear handle, in order to make that a reality I'll probably sell the 201 and the 192 rear handle, maybe next yr.

Latest posts

Back