Need Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labans

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some help picking a very lightweight but powerful small chainsaw, 14" in size. I just don't know the brands well enough to know which brands are A+. I currently run 40+ year old Partner S55 that is a wonderful, powerful beast, but it is heavy and not a good
saw for cutting the limbs or small trees.
Thank you

I need some help picking a very lightweight but powerful small chainsaw, 14" in size. I just don't know the brands well enough to know which brands are A+. I currently run 40+ year old Partner S55 that is a wonderful, powerful beast, but it is heavy and not a good
Thank you
Are there any dealers around you - Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered, shindaiwa?
Price range?

If I were going out to the shop to grab a saw in that size range, it would be my Dolmar/Makita EA3400.
It's constructed like a pro saw with a magnesium crankcase, spring AV, and is easy to service design.
I purchased my used from the Home Depot for less than a clamshell design MS180 that it replaced.
It should also be noted that awhile back Dolmar/Makita has announced that they are exiting the chainsaw market.
Since you're running a vintage Partner saw, one can conclude that you know how to care and maintain a chainsaw properly.
As Buzz mentioned, having a access to a knowledgeable local dealer is important should problems arise.
I'm fortunate that there are several true saw shops in my area, as compared to places like Lowes and Home Depot that sell saws but couldn't service them properly when needed.

I have a little Echo CS-400 that I like a lot. Lightweight, pretty powerful, easy to maintain, easy to find consumables for it, always starts and cuts. CS-400 is an older model that you may be able to find used, but you could buy a new Echo and be very happy as well. Report back in when you find something and let us know if you like it or not.

it would be my Dolmar/Makita EA3400.
Must be a new model :p.
The 421/4300 is a great budget 40cc saw and they are quite durable, but a little heavy for their cc size, although for their size they have nice power. They should mainly need things like filter, fuel lines, and spark plugs, and air filters which are found anywhere, other parts should be easily found on the net, which I find convenient as most dealers around me are almost worthless.
The echo line of saws is great also and similar as far as parts and quality of build. Not sure where the echo is built, but the EA4300 is built in china :(, the previous version of it the dolmar 421(same saw different color) was built in Japan :clap: iirc.
One thing nice is both have a standard carb so you don't need the dealer to assist if a problem arrises.
That being said I don't know if you will be able to find a part other than on the net 40 yrs from now.

Thank you
I have heard good things about the echo 3510. It's about as light as you will find for the price.

I have a dolmar 421 and I really like it, but not isn’t particularly light. My echo cs400 is light and cuts good, but required retuning and a muffler mod before it woke up. I second the recommendation for the echo 3510. They’re light, cheap, and handy with decent power. I expect it would also need the high side opened up a little to run right.

+ 2 or 3 for the Echo CS-370 or CS-400. I have a CS-370 here that's been my go-to saw for small work and has been flawless for years. I keep a second one at my daughters house in case I need to do some cleaning up when we are down there visiting. Not overly fast but plenty of "grunt" and perfect for small jobs and not really that bad for 10-12" logs with a 14" bar. I will say that gutting the CAT and modifying the mixture screws for fine tuning is pretty much required if you want to get the most out of one......

I have a cs-370 that I bought not running and beat up. Fixed minor things like fuel line and got it running. I run it with a 18" bar and it's an animal for its size. I use it on full bar length hardwoods no problem. It's light so I use in the tree sometimes. The only thing I do not like on it is the spring assist pull starter.

Latest posts

Back