Need help Choosing betwee 3 Echo Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlL

Reaction score
I have 10 pines on my property, about 35 feet tall, either dead or dying. The trunks are around 30 inches. Have a lousy old Poulan that won't hack it. Best local dealer is an Echo dealer and he has a one day 20% off sale coming up. I buy all top quality equipment (except the stupid Poulan!) and keep them forever, so I have a $500 budget. Husky and Stihl are not in the running, due to closest local dealers having poor reps.

The dealer offered me the following choices around 50cc size I think I would like to have:
CS-500P-20" $304 + tax
CS-550P-20" $304 + tax
CS-501P-20" $376 + tax

As someone who is 76 years old and not an outdoorsman, weight is a consideration, although I won't be running the saw for hours a day and I really didn't notice a lot of difference between a 500 and a 550 when I held them for a while. I know the 501 is a new model replacing the 500 and that it is more powerful.

My question for the experts is which one would your recommend to cut down the pines and then be fitted with a 16" bar for taking down small trees, removing low limbs (I don't climb or ever work over my head).

Thx for any info you can give on the "pro" saws.

Carl

I own a 550p and they are very heavy for their displacement/power. Cannot comment on the 500/501 but I think I've read good reports on them for a light good pro 50cc saw. If I was in your shoes wanting to tackle 30" pine I'd forget those models and buy a 590 timber wolf. Its a 60(59cc) class pro saw that is super value at $300-$399msrp. It would service your needs much better than the models you have mentioned. Stay away from the 550p....its the size of a 70cc saw with the power of 50cc's.

Thx for the reply. A little more digging on my part finds that the 590 weighs 18 lbs fully loaded. While this weight would make bucking the 30" pines easier on the arms, since the weight would drive the saw, I believe it would be a disadvantage for limbing and cutting down small trees that would make up all of my work once the pines are gone. Most reviews say that is really too heavy for a day of cutting the small stuff. Because of your comments about the 550 and the weight of the 590, I have eliminated both from my search

Now the decision is between spending more for the newer, more powerful 501P or saving some money and getting the closeout 500P.

Hopefully, some other experts will chime in, or I can move this to the chainsaw discussion.

Yes the 500/501p is a good choice. Do a little searching for threads that discuss the differences between the models and go buy a saw. Sometimes a mass of opinions from experienced/inexperienced people is hard to swallow and work out what is good advice. It happens a lot these days. I'd do some reading then go do some cutting with your new saw. I'd definitely order the saw from Nate @Outdoor Power Equipment, he is always the cheapest, is a sponser that supports the forum and can give honest good advice based on first hand experience. He stands by his products and has dealt with a LOT of members. A warranty is only as good as the dealer, think about that for a minute.

I spoke to a highly respected saw customizer about 90 miles from my home. His #1 recommendation was a comparable Dolmar, but there are no dealers near me. However, he did feel the 501P was sufficiently improved over the 500P, to make it worth the higher cost. He also offered me a new fully ported, modified and tested 501P, that he had on the shelf. However, the price would be about $200 more than the unmodified saw and I would lose the 5 year warranty and the convenience of a dealer less than 5 miles from my home. Also, knocking seconds off a cut really doesn't mean anything to me, since I don't cut for a living. If I really want a modified saw, I could take mine up to him at a later time.

Based on his advice, my other research, the reputation of the local dealer and the 20% discount next Saturday, the 501P is what I am getting. I am pretty confident that it is the best choice for me.

Don't get to carried away with warranties, if you study the 3 pages of fine print often you'll realise there not worth the paper there written on. But, they are worth something PROVIDED you have a dealer that will present your case properly to the OEM. That is why choice of who you purchase the saw from becomes REALLY important. Warranty is only as good as your dealer will make it. I'd quite happily pay a bit more to purchase from a quality dealer for this reason. Anyhow most saws don't need warranty claims, especially Japanese Echo's.

I think the 501 is a good choice and you'll be very happy with it. That's a real good price and as you stated, weight is what's most important to you.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I have 10 pines on my property, about 35 feet tall, either dead or dying. The trunks are around 30 inches. Have a lousy old Poulan that won't hack it. Best local dealer is an Echo dealer and he has a one day 20% off sale coming up. I buy all top quality equipment (except the stupid Poulan!) and keep them forever, so I have a $500 budget. Husky and Stihl are not in the running, due to closest local dealers having poor reps.

The dealer offered me the following choices around 50cc size I think I would like to have:
CS-500P-20" $304 + tax
CS-550P-20" $304 + tax
CS-501P-20" $376 + tax

As someone who is 76 years old and not an outdoorsman, weight is a consideration, although I won't be running the saw for hours a day and I really didn't notice a lot of difference between a 500 and a 550 when I held them for a while. I know the 501 is a new model replacing the 500 and that it is more powerful.

My question for the experts is which one would your recommend to cut down the pines and then be fitted with a 16" bar for taking down small trees, removing low limbs (I don't climb or ever work over my head).

Thx for any info you can give on the "pro" saws.

Carl

# 1. Not an expert. # 2. Cheaper than cheap.

$159.99 Craftsman 38018 18" 42cc Gas Chainsaw
With an 18" Oregon bar and chain, this chainsaw will stand the test of time and get the job done fast. This chainsaw features the Incredi-Pull™ starting system for quick and easy starts. The isolated handle design helps reduce vibration and fatigue. This chainsaw is equipped with a durable, aluminum frame chassis to withstand tough conditions

• A powerful 42cc engine cuts through any wood
    • 18" Oregon bar and full complement chain provides fast, precision cuts
    • Incredi-Pull™ starting system reduces the pull force to allow for easier starts
    • The Anti-Vibration Handle is designed to improve comfort and reduce fatigue
    • Automatic oiler continually provides lubrication to the bar and chain to provide fast, precision cuts and maximize the life of the chainsaw
    • Side screw tensioning system allows for easy access to tighten the chain
    • Aluminum frame chassis provides superior durability to handle all types of cutting conditions
    • Includes a carrying case that lets you store the unit and help extend the chainsaw's life
    • Uses 2-cycle pre-mix fuel
It gets good reviews. Sears has an excellent return policy. You can spend more, but for your stated purpose, this saw should be sufficient. It weighs about 13 lbs. You can buy pies with the balance and invite all your new friends, me, over for a snack.

# 1. Not an expert. # 2. Cheaper than cheap.

$159.99 Craftsman 38018 18" 42cc Gas Chainsaw
With an 18" Oregon bar and chain, this chainsaw will stand the test of time and get the job done fast. This chainsaw features the Incredi-Pull™ starting system for quick and easy starts. The isolated handle design helps reduce vibration and fatigue. This chainsaw is equipped with a durable, aluminum frame chassis to withstand tough conditions

• A powerful 42cc engine cuts through any wood
    • 18" Oregon bar and full complement chain provides fast, precision cuts
    • Incredi-Pull™ starting system reduces the pull force to allow for easier starts
    • The Anti-Vibration Handle is designed to improve comfort and reduce fatigue
    • Automatic oiler continually provides lubrication to the bar and chain to provide fast, precision cuts and maximize the life of the chainsaw
    • Side screw tensioning system allows for easy access to tighten the chain
    • Aluminum frame chassis provides superior durability to handle all types of cutting conditions
    • Includes a carrying case that lets you store the unit and help extend the chainsaw's life
    • Uses 2-cycle pre-mix fuel
It gets good reviews. Sears has an excellent return policy. You can spend more, but for your stated purpose, this saw should be sufficient. It weighs about 13 lbs. You can buy pies with the balance and invite all your new friends, me, over for a snack.

Or beer!!! Good friends will work for beer.

Latest posts

Back