NEED HELP w/ Homelite XL-924

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Homelite XL-924 that I can’t get to idle and keep running!

Here is what I know:
-It has spark + brand new spark plug adjusted with the correct gap
-145 psi
-Exhaust baffle has been grinded and is free of any build up
-Brand new fuel lines. Carb is pulling gas. Running 32:1??
-Brand new Tillotson carb

At first I installed a carb kit on the original carb but that did not work or change any thing. I purchased an OEM Tillotson carb meant for a XL-925, installed it and now it starts but does not idle. After pulling the cord it goes high up in the revs for about 5-10 seconds then dies. I’m at 1 1/4 turns out for the High / Low jet. The carb pulls gas.

What could it be? What am I missing or not looking at?

Cheers!!

Will post video soon

If seals was leaking it may no pull gas.just a though.beacuse cant built up pressure in crankcase.i think.
With a small leak it might build up a smaller pulse but not with a big leak. But with any leak at all it should be repaired. I just got done repairing a big leak in a Husqvarna and it wasn't in the seals at all, it was the cylinder base that was leaking.

That could do i to.have to get a leak detector.have one for carbs.
All I have for pressure testing and for carbs is a blood pressure bulb, some hoses, a gauge, and a T fitting. Just got done testing an 046 Stihl for leaks, didn't find any, so I'm installing a new piston and cylinder on it. Guess the previous owner forgot to put oil in the gas..

Back