Need help with 372 x torq crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cas101326

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m replacing the crank/bearings in this 372 (only second time doing a bottom end) and I’m not able to get this crank to center up. I set both bearings in halfs all the way in, the clutch side set in the half a decent amount but I have red this is correct. Headed halves up, slipped crank in and they liked about a half inch meeting up, put the crank bolts in and slowly evenly tightened them and brought it together, it spun somewhat free but rubbed flywheel side, and I’ve tried tapping as much as I’m comfortable with and it won’t move and now it’s even harder to turn. Any help I’d appreciatedimage.jpg

I’m replacing the crank/bearings in this 372 (only second time doing a bottom end) and I’m not able to get this crank to center up. I set both bearings in halfs all the way in, the clutch side set in the half a decent amount but I have red this is correct. Headed halves up, slipped crank in and they liked about a half inch meeting up, put the crank bolts in and slowly evenly tightened them and brought it together, it spun somewhat free but rubbed flywheel side, and I’ve tried tapping as much as I’m comfortable with and it won’t move and now it’s even harder to turn. Any help I’d appreciatedView attachment 929543
I've only put two cranks in as well. One of them I had to tap a lot harder than I felt comfortable with to get it to move.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I don’t have a brass hammer, just tried with a rubber mallet but it doesn’t seem to be helping any

Thread the fw nut on flush and use a regular hammer and a center punch. Swing about like you’d hit a nail. You need a few whacks on the clutch side and a half whack on the fw side and it should free up
Thank you sir I will sure try that tomorrow. Everything went so much smoother than first time, this time I heated the cases in the oven and bearings went right in, heated again and crank went almost all the way in no trouble and then this, I was very dishearted

On my older 2100 I used a dead blow hammer to center the crank. Next you need to use a cold chisel to spread the porkchops even again to loosen up the crank. Now I purchased every crank tool for every case.

Back