Need Help with an Oak Tree Close to the House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiek

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a HUGE oak tree growing very close to the house. It's canopy provides shade to my 1400 sqft. home and covers the whole thing. The house was built in 1952 and judging from the size of the tree, I would say it was here before the house was built. But, I don't really know. I have lived in the house for 13 years and when I bought the house I couldn't imagine that the tree would get any bigger, but it has.

It doesn't appear to be causing damage to the foundation though I would say its roots have caused my driveway to buckle and crack in places. However, it causes a mess and makes it near impossible to grow anything in the yard due to the heavy shade it provides. Additionally, there is always the fear that it will drop a large limb on my house as well as it might just grow right into the side of the house.

I am interested in having it removed; however, I am concerned about what I have read on the internet that removing a tree that has been symbiotic to the house for so long could actually cause foundation issues in the long run with the swell and shifting of the soil once the roots decay.

I am seeking advice on whether anyone knows about root decay and foundations as well as your opinion about what you would do if this was your house.

I recognize that removing the tree will cause the whole landscape of the house to be different as well as my air conditioning bill in the summer to likely increase. I am just needing help with the pros and cons of removing it versus leaving it.

Ugh! What a decision, and an expensive one at that. Kind of seems like a lose-lose.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

D+8+Dz%0QLWBROCgItOozg.jpgodwNQoGbQfa5bHQuNz%sHA.jpgIMG_0503.jpeg

Wow!
Can't tell what species that is. A neighbor planted a Pin Oak about 35 years ago. It was taken down two years ago and was 24 - 28" diameter. In 66 years, it could get as big as yours. I suspect it was planted after the house was built or was just a sapling. Probably wouldn't have survived if the house was constructed next to it. I'm sure you will get suggestions soon.

Wow!
Can't tell what species that is. A neighbor planted a Pin Oak about 35 years ago. It was taken down two years ago and was 24 - 28" diameter. In 66 years, it could get as big as yours. I suspect it was planted after the house was built or was just a sapling. Probably wouldn't have survived if the house was constructed next to it. I'm sure you will get suggestions soon.
Hi! I think it is a Willow Oak, but I am not entirely positive. It has the narrow, skinny leaves. I have a certified arborist coming on Monday afternoon so he can weigh in on the matter. I'm sure he will be able to tell me what kind it is.

Tree looks plenty healthy from what I can see. Good canopy - I wouldn't be too worried about branches dropping on the house.

Do you have a basement or crawl space? If a full basement, then there might be some issues, but if only a crawl space, I wouldn't think it would make any difference whether you take it out. Have you looked at the inside of the foundation to see if it's bowing in at all?

Still, I would recommend you keep it, but keep an eye on it. The downspout for the gutter seems to be in a bad place. Is that a low spot there? Where does the surface water go?
And which direction does your house face? Where is north?

As for growing things, you can find a host of plants that thrive in the shade.
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/solving-shade/shade-garden-design-ideas/

Tree looks plenty healthy from what I can see. Good canopy - I wouldn't be too worried about branches dropping on the house.

Do you have a basement or crawl space? If a full basement, then there might be some issues, but if only a crawl space, I wouldn't think it would make any difference whether you take it out. Have you looked at the inside of the foundation to see if it's bowing in at all?

Still, I would recommend you keep it, but keep an eye on it. The downspout for the gutter seems to be in a bad place. Is that a low spot there? Where does the surface water go?
And which direction does your house face? Where is north?

As for growing things, you can find a host of plants that thrive in the shade.
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/solving-shade/shade-garden-design-ideas/
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have a crawl space and have recently had it inspected. With the exception of some moisture, it is in good shape and no foundational damage.
The yard definitely has some standing water issues which is another question - does the tree help or hurt the water problem? The picture in which you can see the whole house and tree, there is a newly dug ditch with a bunch of drainage rock. That is pretty much where the enormous puddle would form after a heavy or long rain. I just had this installed and they still need to cover it with soil. In this same picture, North is the tall, privacy fence on the left side of the picture.

And, thanks so much for the site recommendation on growing in the shade.

There are willow oak leaves in the crevices of the root flair so I'd say that you are right, it is a willow oak.

Good arguments can be both ways as to if it should stay or go.

Trees near buildings and porches sometimes don't have many roots under the structures so can be more prone to being blown over by winds.

It's going to cost to get it removed.

I'd keep it.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have a crawl space and have recently had it inspected. With the exception of some moisture, it is in good shape and no foundational damage.
The yard definitely has some standing water issues which is another question - does the tree help or hurt the water problem? The picture in which you can see the whole house and tree, there is a newly dug ditch with a bunch of drainage rock. That is pretty much where the enormous puddle would form after a heavy or long rain. I just had this installed and they still need to cover it with soil. In this same picture, North is the tall, privacy fence on the left side of the picture.

And, thanks so much for the site recommendation on growing in the shade.
How deep was the ditch dug? Looks pretty close to the tree? Were any roots damaged?

Trees are huge pumps taking water out of the soil. You will probably see more water (especially in the spring after it has leaves) if the tree were gone.

You are trying to grow the wrote things under the tree. Yeah...you probably aren't going to get golf course turf. But look in a forest...it is flush with plants under MUCH heavier shade than that tree casts. I'd add a big mulch ring to cut down on the mud (but do NOT put landscape fabric under it...that is terrible for the tree's roots.)

Regular monitoring can really cut down on probably of branch failure. Most of the time those are predictable. Dead and poorly attached branches are the ones that break.

I'd leave it...but I like trees! Unless it damages the foundation. Bit it hasn't yet, so probably won't. The big problem comes as the tree grows in diameter, it will grow into the house.

Back