need help with japanese weeping maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsquare

Reaction score
Last October, I relocated a japanese weeping maple not far from original location just to enhance my landscaping. The tree stands about 4 foot tall with an umbrella span almost to the ground. The tree is approximately 7 years old. I live in central New Jersey, Zone 6. Here is my problem........ in past years the tree would lose its leaves in the winter and regrow in the spring. This year after the relocation, the tree did not lose its winter folage. It is now middle of April, last years dead folage is still on. There are signs of buds on new branches, however, there are many dead branches as well. Same trees in the neighborhood show more growth than mine.
Any advise?

When a decidious tree holds leaves like that (in winter) it indicates that those branches are dead. While some budding may have occured, I doubt this tree will come back. it sounds as if significant transplant shock occured to the root system, causing decline/death. Japanese Maples are very sensitive and relocation is VERY often problematic.

thank you all for your advise. There are signs of life. New leaves are starting to form on some sections. Is there anything I can do to help ie. watering, fertilzer, pruning or just let nature take its course?

Latest posts

Back