need info on Jonsered 451E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp233

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey y'all, inlaws have an old Jonsered 451E that I'm looking for some basic info on. I'm having a hard time finding stuff online, although I did find a parts diagram (dated 30 April 1981).

It sat for several years and won't start. It had been worked over by a shop 4-6 years ago and ran, and it ran about 2 years ago, was sitting after that with all the gas drained. I didn't have time to mess with it much, but when I get back in front of it I'll verify spark and clean the carb and try again.

It cranks over fine, is not locked up or anything, feels like it has good compression. The spark plug looked normal.

My first basic question is - what fuel mix does this thing want? A lot of older saws I've seen used to recommend 40:1, and wanted to make sure not to run 50:1 if that's the case. It looks like it's one of the circa 1978-1981 variety?

Also, what spark plug should go in this thing? the old parts diagram I found says 504 39 06 02 but I'm having trouble crossing that to something new/modern. I forgot what was in there.... will check in a few days.

The bar is a Windsor (made in canada) with oil lube holes in the nose sprocket - does regular bar oil go in there or can you use lighter oil that flows more? It seemed clogged on one side, will blow it out with compressed air if I can get the thing to run (I hope that is not too dumb of a question)

Here it is with my old Stihl 028 AV Super. Sadly both failed me last weekend.... had to stop the Stihl and tried to get the Jonse running to no avail just to finish cutting one big downed oak

Attachments

• 20200502_164459 (2).jpg
    20200502_164459 (2).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Hey y'all, inlaws have an old Jonsered 451E that I'm looking for some basic info on. I'm having a hard time finding stuff online, although I did find a parts diagram (dated 30 April 1981).

It sat for several years and won't start. It had been worked over by a shop 4-6 years ago and ran, and it ran about 2 years ago, was sitting after that with all the gas drained. I didn't have time to mess with it much, but when I get back in front of it I'll verify spark and clean the carb and try again.

It cranks over fine, is not locked up or anything, feels like it has good compression. The spark plug looked normal.

My first basic question is - what fuel mix does this thing want? A lot of older saws I've seen used to recommend 40:1, and wanted to make sure not to run 50:1 if that's the case. It looks like it's one of the circa 1978-1981 variety?

Also, what spark plug should go in this thing? the old parts diagram I found says 504 39 06 02 but I'm having trouble crossing that to something new/modern. I forgot what was in there.... will check in a few days.

The bar is a Windsor (made in canada) with oil lube holes in the nose sprocket - does regular bar oil go in there or can you use lighter oil that flows more? It seemed clogged on one side, will blow it out with compressed air if I can get the thing to run (I hope that is not too dumb of a question)

Here it is with my old Stihl 028 AV Super. Sadly both failed me last weekend.... had to stop the Stihl and tried to get the Jonse running to no avail just to finish cutting one big downed oak
First thing to check is spark.....if none...replace the plug with a Champion CJ7Y.....if still no spark disconnect the kill switch...if still no spark then you have to identify which of the three different ign systems you have.

If you have spark then it is likely a fuel issue...make sure your fuel line/filter is in good shape with no cracks or pin holes. After that you will likely need a carb kit....HK 12 kit.....thoroughly clean the carb and rebuild. Fuel can be 50:1 as long as you use good quality oil. Oil quality has vastly improved in the last 40 years!

The holes in the sprocket tip are for grease and you will need a needle point gun tip. Some folks grease, some don't on the theory that bar oil will keep the tip well lubed......up to you.....if you grease you always have to grease as the grease will prevent bar oil from getting to the bearings.

Roger all- thanks!

Got a manual from the Beg thread too, so I've got a good starting place.

Latest posts

Back