Need info Stihl MS290 fuel related?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS290 that will runs good and strong for few seconds if mixed fuel is squirted directly into the carb throat after couple pulls of the rope. the saw looks old like it's been at rest for long time. The tank screen looks clean and the pickup tube looks ok, but old.
I'm thinking carb kit or carb and go ahead and replace the pickup tube, impulse line and get a manifold tube in case I find the old one has a crack later.

I called Stihl experts about parts such as carb kit and my medicat (2012) showed 1127-0071062 and a generic CARB kit is on ebay for $8. Stihl man says Stihl don't offer carb kit???
Medicat showed carb as 1127-120-0660 for a HD-19c carb and Stihl man says number 0660 no good use 1127-120-0650 at $80???
(this MS290 saw is older than 2012 area most likely??)Do I need to find a serial number or ID number for correct parts???

Flea bay has china clone carbs for like $20.

I can get a complete RUSSO kit for a MS290 from flea bay which is carb, fuel hose, impulse line, manifold boot,spark plug, and ignition coil for like $36. Are these any good???Probably China stuff.??

Anyone tried any of this generic stuff for Stihl MS 290's??

Is the clone carbs worth a try or should I just go with the $8 kit for the existing OEM carb, fuel hose, impulse line, and a spare manifold boot in case the old one is cracked?????

Get the 1127-120-0604 for $32.99, and a new fuel line from your dealer.
Here is one that I bought a few weeks ago.
View attachment 515815

That 0604 carb will work ok on a MS290?
and does it require a special tool for adjusting the jets?
Appears the MS290 bad OEM carb limiters can be adjusted with small screwdriver. (the OEM carb is still in the saw)

Should I get a impulse line and rubber intake boot?
(The Stihl man is about 40 miles round trip and usually has to order parts and don't mind spending few dollars more for small parts to try and eliminate go backs and Murphy's law)

Wonder why a carb kit is not offered? I have a ultrasonic carb cleaner and usually I kit the small chainsaw and small engine carbs is why I ask??? Thinking about getting the carb you mention, fuel pickup hose, but would also like to kit the OEM carb maybe???

I don't have a price list and don't see price list in the mediacat info either.

That 0604 carb will work ok on a MS290?
and does it require a special tool for adjusting the jets?
Appears the MS290 bad OEM carb limiters can be adjusted with small screwdriver. (the OEM carb is still in the saw)

Should I get a impulse line and rubber intake boot?
(The Stihl man is about 40 miles round trip and usually has to order parts and don't mind spending few dollars more for small parts to try and eliminate go backs and Murphy's law)

Wonder why a carb kit is not offered? I have a ultrasonic carb cleaner and usually I kit the small chainsaw and small engine carbs is why I ask??? Thinking about getting the carb you mention, fuel pickup hose, but would also like to kit the OEM carb maybe???

I don't have a price list and don't see price list in the mediacat info either.
I thought that I e-mailed you a price list, send me your e-mail again.
It is for the Bryan Equipment area.

Look at the pic I put up, it gives the carb kit part number, but just get the Walbro kit from any shop instead.

The new carb comes with the limiters still out.

carb 001.JPG

Thanks. When I clicked on the carb kits page it enlarged enough to see the info!

The HD18 and HD 19 take same kit by part number.
The mediacat indicated this is probably a HD19C.

That is some real handy cross ref carb info. Is that in the price lists info also?
Check your PM.

Thanks and Later!

Put that carb on today, the saw runs like new!
Okie, I just saw your e-mail. Just p.m. me here, I rarely look at my e-mail, I get too much crap from e-bay.

The carb kit pages are in the front of the book form price lists, and I only have an old one, so I will put up the pages for saws here, so all of the guys can have the info.

kits 001.JPG kits 002.JPG kits 003.JPG

Back