Need input on which chipper to buy for a very small tree business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizake7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a climber and owner of Blake's Tree Service. I've finally saved up 24k cash and want to throw it on a chipper. I have a 2012 6.7L f250 and a 14k brand new dump trailer. Is it practical to chip into a dump trailer, requiring me to involve another truck to haul it? Let me know your thoughts on that.

So I've been looking at getting a Vermeer BC1000s but I don't know which engines/years are better than others. Does anyone which ones were the worst/best chippers to get? I want something preferably with under 1500 hours and probably somewhere around 70hp. Thanks for your inputs

check capacity and dimensions, you MAY be able to put a chipper inside your dump trailer if the trailer is empty, and you have suitable ramps

I know, sounds insane, im sure there is a reason nobody does it, but its an idea

p.s, please get some D rings welded into the trailer for tie downs

I haven't been around a ton of chippers, but I have spent some time running 3 different BC1000s. My experience with them would lead me to look at different brands if possible. The vermeers just seem to be overly complicated on the electrical side of things. Personally I'd check which dealers are in your area and get a sense for who you can get the best service and parts supply from. If bandit or morbark have a presence there, I'd look into them. There are some other good brands too.

stay with Vermeer then, their customer service and machine service is impeccable in my opinion. We run 3 bc1800XL and a WC2500xl, as well as a few sc852 stump grinders.. and no im being a fan boy they just have always treated our company with respect, attentiveness and willingness to get our machines running right should something happen, and are super easy to call and order parts or ask for advice. Will send service techs your way when available as well. I’ve had experience with mobark,bandit and Vermeer. All great chippers but Vermeer is top of my personal list

For a small company you may be able to find a good condition woodsman 12x, if memory serves me it’s 115hp, John Deere turbo diesel and can take 14” wood… I enjoyed running one when it was around

O OK yeah that sounds right. It really seems to eat whatever i put in it. I'm not putting any 10" in diameter pieces in it though.

Small chipper Vermeer bc700 if your keeping anything 5 inch and above. If you want to chip allot of 8 inch wood then a nice 12in machine would be the smarter buy for you. I have a bc 700 and a 1890xp I use the 1890xp all the time. But that 700 is my chipper for any cemeteries I work on or smaller jobs.
It depends on what you really plan to do. The 700 me and one other guy can grab and walk it around it rolls and it’s light enough. But I also grew into allot of big always crane removals. Hence the 1890xp which is an entire category of its own. The dump trailer is great to chip into build some nice sides I mean don’t be a cheap ass build them right. Then raise it and chip into it you’ll get the hang of it then love it. Finish it with a nice tarp. I used the factory one off the front of mine I just mounted it on top of the néw wood sides it also ties it together nicely.

Here is the thing.
If your honest not on drugs and do good work. Your (small) company is now your new world. Ask anyone on here that matches the first sentence. It grows so fast even more now then ever. Think long term and bottle necks down the road. It’s an investment maybe even more then you plan or know. Either way I hope some of this helps you out or someone else. I tell you what when your thinking about this in a year or two going damn back when it was just so simple lol you’ll miss the beginning some lol.

sorry for the rant haha was just enjoying the day off sitting down up north doing nothing haha

Thanks for the input! I started this business 2 and half months ago. In that time I've bought a $5k 99' 1500 ram pickup, $24k BC1000, $10k dump trailer and at least another $5k in tools saws and rope. All that I've made from the business and paid for with cash. I plan on buying a chip truck, bucket truck and mini bob cat by the middle of next summer! I'm so surprised it's taking off like it is.

I have a few questions for whoever's willing to answer them; How much do you gross? How many employees do you have? How do you pay them? What do you do during the winter? I've got a wife and 3 kids and I'm starting to wonder what I'll be doing during the winter

Sole proprietor. I’m on payroll I pay myself. For more then one reason but the tax write off is good there’s so much that goes into it. It really does cost money to be a legitimate company. There’s so many things involved. Best thing you can do is get a business account with a card use that for anything business related then at the ends of the year all your write offs are in one spot. I use quick books it works great

Sole proprietor. I’m on payroll I pay myself. For more then one reason but the tax write off is good there’s so much that goes into it. It really does cost money to be a legitimate company. There’s so many things involved. Best thing you can do is get a business account with a card use that for anything business related then at the ends of the year all your write offs are in one spot. I use quick books it works great
how much dyou pay a month for quickbooks?

Latest posts

Back