Need Input Regarding Whether The Purge Button or Air Purge Button Really Makes It Easier to Start When Engine is Cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Targa

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to restore my 35 year old Stihl 024AV but plan to buy a additional new chainsaw in the meantime. My 024 has always been hard to start when its cold but ran good when it warms up and cuts well with 3 HP and a 16" bar.

I'm just a diy homeowner with about 300-400 (40-50 year old) pine trees that need attention each year.

I am considering purchasing either a Stihl MS211 , a Echo CS 352 or a Husqvarna 435 each having a 16" bar. I'm 74 and like the size and weight of these saws.

My question is whether the Echo and Husqvarna models which each have a Purge or Air Purge button will be noticeably easier to start when cold than the Stihl MS211 which does not have one?

I would appreciate any input and suggestions.

Thank you

It pulls fuel from the tank through the carb on a primer button set up, the 211 has to pull the fuel into the carb from the tank using you pulling the cord and choke. saws and trimmers are designed to drain the fuel out of the carb back into the tank after they sit a while. When carb diaphragms get hard, impulse lines deform, fuel pump flaps deform or compression drops it takes more starter pulls to lift the fuel from the tank to the carb on the first start.

Welcome to the site........the idea of the primer bulb is to be able to pump fuel from the tank to the carb manually before you try and cold start it.......otherwise it may take many yanks on the cord to do this by sheer vacuum......so yes if all is working properly it should make for an easier starting saw.

I'm currently trying to restore my 35 year old Stihl 024AV but plan to buy a additional new chainsaw in the meantime. My 024 has always been hard to start when its cold but ran good when it warms up and cuts well with 3 HP and a 16" bar.

I'm just a diy homeowner with about 300-400 (40-50 year old) pine trees that need attention each year.

I am considering purchasing either a Stihl MS211 , a Echo CS 352 or a Husqvarna 435 each having a 16" bar. I'm 74 and like the size and weight of these saws.

My question is whether the Echo and Husqvarna models which each have a Purge or Air Purge button will be noticeably easier to start when cold than the Stihl MS211 which does not have one?

I would appreciate any input and suggestions.

Thank you

The echo 352 has been replaced by the 3510. That's the one I would get. I have a 352 and it's a great little saw. The 3510 is supposed to be a little lighter and have a little more power.

435 has no decomp button, starts easy after sitting and it likes the primer bulb pumped up before your first start of the day. Many bash this tiny thing but they are mostly trouble free. It quiet, light and balanced better than most imo. 16" 66dl of 325 nk chisel is my preferred chain on it. It also has air injection that keeps the mesh air filter clean. They do weep oil over time sitting so dump the tank or use a diaper under it for storage. One other nice feature is they never flood with spring loaded choke butterfly. You can leave the choke on for warm ups.

There are some primers on equipment that actually squirt a shot of fuel in the barrel.
Majority just fill the fuel lines and dump it back in the tank. So, in theory you could pump it til next week and it would not flood the saw.

If it shot fuel into the carb throat it would indeed be a primer. The purge bulbs on chainsaws and trimmers and such are merely air purge bulbs. And yes you can push it till the cows come home and it won't flood the saw.

435 has no decomp button, starts easy after sitting and it likes the primer bulb pumped up before your first start of the day. Many bash this tiny thing but they are mostly trouble free. It quiet, light and balanced better than most imo. 16" 66dl of 325 nk chisel is my preferred chain on it. It also has air injection that keeps the mesh air filter clean. They do weep oil over time sitting so dump the tank or use a diaper under it for storage. One other nice feature is they never flood with spring loaded choke butterfly. You can leave the choke on for warm ups.

I'm a Husqvarna guy for sure but those little echos are hard to beat, cheaper and lighter too.

I'm a Husqvarna guy for sure but those little echos are hard to beat, cheaper and lighter too.
Stihl guy here but do use other brands. Geared more towards a purpose built tool then any one brand myself. Purpose built saws I've done have been very popular with the owners be it bucking, top handles, chunking down or felling.

Have customers switching from Jred and Husky to Shinny and Echo. They want light tools being most of us are over forty or fifty now. It's not something any of us considered up until about three years ago or so based on quality issues from the factory. Lighter saws, less issues, cheaper parts and no issues with them in any trim so far. Sixty CC saws running 24 and 28 bars for more reach bucking but ported and not high compression builds. They are not burying the bar so the saws are handing it very well. They oil fine and we have had zero issues once I open them up so they can breathe better on the intake, filler and exhaust. The ported ones also have had zero issues in the last three years of use. It will continue to improve just like the clones do.

Don't overlook the Stihl 261c.
I hate them. Too heavy, too sloppy and most tree companies I've ran them at also said they were sloppy and heavy for the power output. I'd never use or buy one myself. 241 will smoke them with a bit of work. Echo or Shinny saws of the same CC perform just as good with far less weight and parts cost isn't even close.

Stihl guy here but do use other brands. Geared more towards a purpose built tool then any one brand myself. Purpose built saws I've done have been very popular with the owners be it bucking, top handles, chunking down or felling.

Have customers switching from Jred and Husky to Shinny and Echo. They want light tools being most of us are over forty or fifty now. It's not something any of us considered up until about three years ago or so based on quality issues from the factory. Lighter saws, less issues, cheaper parts and no issues with them in any trim so far. Sixty CC saws running 24 and 28 bars for more reach bucking but ported and not high compression builds. They are not burying the bar so the saws are handing it very well. They oil fine and we have had zero issues once I open them up so they can breathe better on the intake, filler and exhaust. The ported ones also have had zero issues in the last three years of use. It will continue to improve just like the clones do.

Yes. I'm not brand loyal but I do consider myself a Husqvarna guy. There are certain models of most brands that I would or have bought. My Dolmar 6100 is a beast. I love that thing but don't use it near as much as my Husqvarna 545 because of the weight. My echo 352 cuts very well for it's size and weight.

Yes. I'm not brand loyal but I do consider myself a Husqvarna guy. There are certain models of most brands that I would or have bought. My Dolmar 6100 is a beast. I love that thing but don't use it near as much as my Husqvarna 545 because of the weight. My echo 352 cuts very well for it's size and weight.
My go to models are
200T x4 stock, mods or ported up to an 18" bar
200 almost done with the alterations on it
034 x4 in several custom configurations
036, 034S, 360P sit most times
361 one of my my very favorite chainsaws x3, sold 3
361 mag getting another sister built just like it
362 x3 in every configuration
362 moronic
044, 460, 046 just sit mostly
660 x4
066 flat top big bearing short cases
084 x3 for milling

394 stroked but not quite finished yet, details
395 in the process

6401 x2
8401 needs more work internally

PP455 16x24 bow
My other three bow saws are parked

These are my go to models but plenty more reside here for other tasks they were setup for.
Most have sisters and then some. The rest are just not used much now.

If it shot fuel into the carb throat it would indeed be a primer. The purge bulbs on chainsaws and trimmers and such are merely air purge bulbs. And yes you can push it till the cows come home and it won't flood the saw.
I had a Robin weed eater that had a primer. It had a little sight window on the side of the carb where you could see the fuel, sort of changed colors when the fuel came in. I let it roll around in the back of the truck and the sight window came off and disappeared. I tried to take a soldering iron and melt another piece of plastic over it but couldn't get anything to stick. That carb and Robin parts in general are non existent.

I have a shop full of weed eaters that I have absolutely nothing in dollar wise, but I wanted to see how long I could keep that one going. Late eighties or maybe early nineties vintage.

I had a Robin weed eater that had a primer. It had a little sight window on the side of the carb where you could see the fuel, sort of changed colors when the fuel came in. I let it roll around in the back of the truck and the sight window came off and disappeared. I tried to take a soldering iron and melt another piece of plastic over it but couldn't get anything to stick. That carb and Robin parts in general are non existent.

I have a shop full of weed eaters that I have absolutely nothing in dollar wise, but I wanted to see how long I could keep that one going. Late eighties or maybe early nineties vintage.

I remember those. The people I knew that had them really liked them.

Back