NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigcrow067

Reaction score
I have operated a landscaping business for 17 years and have trimmed and pruned all kinds of trees. I started climbing for my uncles tree business at 16 for about 5 years or so. To be honest I was overweight for many years because of health issues but now Im at my normal weight doing better. In fact I just took down a tree myslef on my property that was 64 feet high yes I measured. No issues rented chipper have my own saws used the Rancher 455. Anyways, around here many are making serious cash especially near winter tree service. Questions should I go with a used 12 inch chipper or larger and what kind and brand should I use? I sold my climbing gear so I will need. I have various dumps I can convert in tree trucks easily.. I am also looking for a lift truck I think my uncle used a 65 foot if Im not mistaken. Not sure I need something that reaches that high? or maybe I do? He did all the bidding but most of the time I helped him so Ill adjust my prices accordingly. Thanks so much

Money will be the issue, a larger chipper will be expensive, it will get the work done
faster through, and will handle thicker material. Same goes for bucket truck, do you
need a self drive, or a tow-able one, or a tracked one, or an all wheel drive one, there
are many choices, and the prices will make you want to give up, its all money, so you need
to have constant work to pay for them, or simply rent one and charge for it.

A few thoughts... Hire a climber. Climbing is a full time job, and you already have a full time job, running your business. If you have been in business 17 years, I am assuming you don't spend much time pushing a mower or a wheelbarrow much either.

As far as equipment, let this new division you are starting pay for itself, rent at first, and by the time you have generated enough work to invest in equipment you will have a pretty good idea what you need.

Back