Need to replace 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natty Bumppo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After 10 years we had to retire our little Johnsered 2240. It's a homeowner saw that was pretty cheap in 2011. That it lasted this long on the job was unexpected. We're not loggers, but we run saws a couple times a week through the cooler months. Need to get a new, lighter saw.

We have a Stihl 241 and love it, but would like to go with something less expensive. Used to have a Husky 339XP. Is the 543XP a good saw? I remember when it came out, reviews weren't exactly glowing. How is the 440, and why is the 439 smaller but has an MSRP $90 more.

There are some Echo dealers around. Anyone have any experience with the CS-400 or CS4510? 4510 seems heavy considering their 50cc saws are lighter. Would consider a 50cc saw as well, such as their CS490 or CS501P (I assume the 501P is pro grade). How would those compare to the Husky 545? My personal saw is a Husky 555, so I have no issues with auto-tune.

Always wanted to try the Dolkita 40cc saw, I think it's now called the 4300. Not as light as others in its class, but pro grade and seems to be well thought of. Some concerns re: availability of parts and service in future if it's true they're wanting to go all battery in the near future.

We've got Husky, Echo, Stihl and Makita dealers around us. Was looking at spec's on manufacturers website. Disappointed that only Makita seems to give horesepower ratings for their saws on-line anymore (I didn't look at the Stihl website). Would appreciate your input.

I own a couple Echo cs400 saws. Great little saws. Yes the 490 is the same weight but it runs .325 pitch where the 400 is .375 low pro. Don’t know if I would trust the 490 to run a 20” bar. The 400 has no problem with 18” bar and flat rips with a 14”

The 501p seems to be the hot ticket. Guy here at work just bought one and is very happy with it . Plenty of power and lightweight and about $500 out the door here in Wa. I would guess the X series saws are the pro saws from Echo.

I got a 543. Can't say how the 543 runs in stock form, but it definitely handles well and feels more normal in my hands than the 339 I used to have did, as I could never get used to the handling of that one.

Finding another 241 is a good option. Or the Dolmar/Makita. Or the Echo 400 if you are OK with a plastic clamshell saw; it seems to be a great example of that breed, without a bad word to be heard about it.

Just got back from the dealer with an Echo CS501P. Started with the intention of getting another 40cc saw, but their 50 was only a little heavier than the 40, and it's a pro-grade saw for a good price. They also had Shindaiwa saws there. They look to come off the same factory line as the Echos. And they no longer carry Makita/Dolmar, but had RedMaxx saws. They looked identical to a couple of our Jonsereds.

If we ever get to wanting a really light saw, does anyone have experience with the Echo CS361P? Also handled their little 25cc model. Not sure what all you could cut with that. I would expect you could cut stuff up to 6" without much difficulty with that.

Now I just want things to dry out a bit so we can put it into some wood.

Nat, Funny as I was in Lebanon last Saturday and walked out the door of my dealer with a new Echo, CS-590. What part of Missouri are you? This thing is like the shark in the movie "Jaws" BTY, I'm in the central portion of Pulaski county.

The CS 490 501 take a long time to break in. Steve
I have a few hours on mine and it seems to be stalling. I adjusted the low idle up a bit but I'm worried it's running lean. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow because I'm paranoid of adjusting the carb too much and running too lean/rich. Does your 501p rattle a lot at idle? this is more than just the normal pinging of a 2 stroke chainsaw. My echo backpack blower and stihl saws never sounded like this. Plus, it seems like developed this after some use.

Does your 501p rattle a lot at idle? this is more than just the normal pinging of a 2 stroke chainsaw
I've only got an hour on it thus far. Took it out this afternoon between showers. Cut some cedar & Siberian elm. Most small but a few in the 8-11" range. No rattling. I like the weight and how it handles. I like it so far but can't say "My God it's a beast" compared to other 50cc saws I've used. Factory chain was sharp but not "Holy crap that's sharp!" sharp. Maybe I can kick it up a notch with the Timberline sharpening jig. So far pretty happy with our purchase. We'll come to see how it holds up

I've got a 361P (14") and a 2511T (12"). Muffler modded and Stihl PS3 chain. Very happy with both.

Absolutely love the 241CM, haven’t owned it very long, but am constantly reaching for it for every bit of limbing and making stuff more chipper friendly.

I’d probably love a rear handled 200 or 201 as well.

That 361p has piqued my interest for quite some time. I haven't seen a lot of info on them. It appears to be a super nice, light saw.

I'm pleased with my Echo collection so far....a cs590.

Back