Need to replace 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My limbing saw is a little Echo CS-310. I make it pull a 20" bar so I don't have to bend over so much, and it does a fine job at it. It's been the only saw that doesn't need anything done to it except regular bar and chain/sprocket/air filter stuff.

I am trying to figure out where to go post-Dolmar. I need a brand where a couple parts don't cost more than a new saw (and a brand where it's not a given that the electronics need to be replaced regularly). Might be Echo- I will sit down and price out parts across similar saws from all the manufacturers one of these days. (I'll be glad if Echo comes out on top of the parts price research, as I really like my little limbing saw.)

My limbing saw is a little Echo CS-310. I make it pull a 20" bar so I don't have to bend over so much, and it does a fine job at it. It's been the only saw that doesn't need anything done to it except regular bar and chain/sprocket/air filter stuff.

I am trying to figure out where to go post-Dolmar. I need a brand where a couple parts don't cost more than a new saw (and a brand where it's not a given that the electronics need to be replaced regularly). Might be Echo- I will sit down and price out parts across similar saws from all the manufacturers one of these days. (I'll be glad if Echo comes out on top of the parts price research, as I really like my little limbing saw.)
Is that a 310 straight from the box? How well does that little fella oil that 20" bar? I don't recall it having an adjustable oiler...

Is that a 310 straight from the box? How well does that little fella oil that 20" bar? I don't recall it having an adjustable oiler...

Just a muffler mod and a carb tune. It does not have an adjustable oiler. It may not oil 20" adequately to keep it buried in oak, but that's not this saw's job.

If you run it at speed, it flings a good line of oil off the tip, and bar wear has seemed normal over the years.

My back would appreciate it if I put a 36" on there... now I feel like I am buying a pole saw one piece at a time... :laugh:

I guess that's what I was getting at, muffler mod and tune a must! Stock the 310 stumbles with the 14" bar in comes with! As long as it's oiling, that's what matters! Yep, after clean up and picking up firewood for an extended period of time, my back feels like how the letter "S" looks!

I guess that's what I was getting at, muffler mod and tune a must! Stock the 310 stumbles with the 14" bar in comes with! As long as it's oiling, that's what matters! Yep, after clean up and picking up firewood for an extended period of time, my back feels like how the letter "S" looks!

I didn't run it long stock, but it was really stopped up by the muffler. It was a much happier little saw with a little more ventilation on the exhaust side.

I think it would pull a longer chain just fine for limbing work. You're trading power for reach in that context, but almost no power is needed for limbing.

I've used it before to do cuts in larger hardwood, and it can do that too, you just have to be patient while it chews through at its own little 30cc pace. It's a good saw but you won't mistake it for a 60cc machine.

Dad bought a 310, 400, and a Timberwolf all at about the same. He called me over to show me just how nice they were. Granted brand new out of the box, they cut just awful, couldn't get outta their own way with bogging down in even little stuff. I told Dad that they stunk, and took them home, modded and tuned them. It was like CPR for a drowning victim! Lol.

The Echo CS501P is the lightest 50cc saw sold in the US, so if you're going for a lightweight feel that's an option. It's not exactly cheap though.

The Echo 4510 isn't too light relative to the displacement but it's only $329.

There's nothing currently available on the market that really compares with the MS241 which was a serious pro saw despite the displacement.

Not wowed by the 543XP which isn't even really a Husky saw-just a rebadged Zenoah saw with moderate specs and a big price tag.

The Echo CS501P is the lightest 50cc saw sold in the US, so if you're going for a lightweight feel that's an option. It's not exactly cheap though.

The Echo 4510 isn't too light relative to the displacement but it's only $329.

There's nothing currently available on the market that really compares with the MS241 which was a serious pro saw despite the displacement.

Not wowed by the 543XP which isn't even really a Husky saw-just a rebadged Zenoah saw with moderate specs and a big price tag.
Husqvarna bought Redmax because of their technology! It's solid stuff! Big energy out of small, quad ported jugs. Zenoah Komatsu...the Jap stuff is good. Swedes getting lazy, maybe...

I like my Dolmar 32cc, it cuts as good as my Husky 445 but weighs just 4kg, it have a good feel to it, sturdy grip. I dont care about the cost - whathever it takes.

I like my Dolmar 32cc, it cuts as good as my Husky 445 but weighs just 4kg, it have a good feel to it, sturdy grip. I dont care about the cost - whathever it takes.
My 64cc Dolmar is my favorite all arounder, but next time I need a saw Dolmar won't be an option. Not even sure how long keeping the old one going will be an option.

I broke out the boltholes on my muffler, so I priced a muffler at every place I could find the other day... lowest price (for an OEM midsize saw muffler, mind you) was $165 and they went up to $250. For that price I can fabricate an entire muffler AND buy a different chainsaw. :rare2:

That 361p has piqued my interest for quite some time. I haven't seen a lot of info on them. It appears to be a super nice, light saw.

I'm pleased with my Echo collection so far....a cs590.
I have 2 590 and 3 cs 400 the dealer support in michigan has been great so far. 590 20 and 24" bars and 400 14 14 and 18" bars. I am looking to upgrade the collection to a 620pw or the new 7310.

Latest posts

Back