Need way to connect diesel engine to chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am looking for input on adapting a perkins diesel from a tractor to directly power an 8" woodland mills pto chipper.
The problem I am facing is that the bell housing from the tractor stays with the tranny, leaving me with just the pressure plate on my engine.

I have heard of industrial bell housings which sound like the right piece of "lego" to put on, but they are hard to find here, and I would still need either a clutch or flex plate to connect. I can't seem to find a place to buy a flex plate or such that would take a shaft, let aside a direct mount pulley.

Has anyone tackled something like this re-powering a regular chipper?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I am looking for input on adapting a perkins diesel from a tractor to directly power an 8" woodland mills pto chipper.
The problem I am facing is that the bell housing from the tractor stays with the tranny, leaving me with just the pressure plate on my engine.

I have heard of industrial bell housings which sound like the right piece of "lego" to put on, but they are hard to find here, and I would still need either a clutch or flex plate to connect. I can't seem to find a place to buy a flex plate or such that would take a shaft, let aside a direct mount pulley.

Has anyone tackled something like this re-powering a regular chipper?

Thanks!
https://www.advanceadapters.com/probably your best bet is to get ahold of these folks and see what they can do for you.
Or look for a Twin disc PTO output,
OR.. find a boat with a perkins diesel in it and steal the trans unit
Orrrr run a V belt of the front end of the crank, probably your easiest path to success

Thanks for the replies! The boat option sounds interesting, come to think of it I've seen a couple of marine diesels come up cheap ish on kijiji in the past. I think I'll explore that option as well as Advance adapters.
If I can put this all together for under $10,000 it is worth it, otherwise I should probably wait for an old vermeer, morbark or bandit

Thanks for the replies! The boat option sounds interesting, come to think of it I've seen a couple of marine diesels come up cheap ish on kijiji in the past. I think I'll explore that option as well as Advance adapters.
If I can put this all together for under $10,000 it is worth it, otherwise I should probably wait for an old vermeer, morbark or bandit
This Chipper uses a 540 RPM PTO drive . If you direct couple it to an engine , you will be idling the engine and have no power . Looking at the
picture of the Chipper , you could direct couple the flywheel of the Chipper to your engine and run it at 1100 RPM , but they recommend a
minimum of 35 horsepower . A 2 to 1 (or so) speed reducer coupled directly to the Chipper flywheel would allow the engine to run in the 2200 RPM range for the best power . You don't say what Perkins diesel engine you are wanting to use , but there are speed/power charts available to see if this engine has the horsepower needed .
Charles

Edit : You will also need to see if the starter mounts to the engine block or the bellhousing .

Thanks for digging into the chipper side, You are right about the 540rpm. The pulleys they use are both 2" shaft, so if i was able to couple to the lower shaft I would have switched them around or gotten different ones since at least they are off the shelf items. If I find a used 2to1 trany I'd be set as well, one guy quoted me $7000 for a new one!

I haven't bought the engine yet, there are a few between 50 and 60 hp, I was thinking parting a tractor was handy since it gives me the rad, tank, throttle controls all ready to go, but am now wondering if I am kidding myself and should look for something that comes with the industrial pto even if it costs more
This Chipper uses a 540 RPM PTO drive . If you direct couple it to an engine , you will be idling the engine and have no power . Looking at the
picture of the Chipper , you could direct couple the flywheel of the Chipper to your engine and run it at 1100 RPM , but they recommend a
minimum of 35 horsepower . A 2 to 1 (or so) speed reducer coupled directly to the Chipper flywheel would allow the engine to run in the 2200 RPM range for the best power . You don't say what Perkins diesel engine you are wanting to use , but there are speed/power charts available to see if this engine has the horsepower needed .
Charles

Edit : You will also need to see if the starter mounts to the engine block or the bellhousing .

Back