Needing larger size stihl pre mix or different oil suggestions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsmcm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I want to go back to running 40:1 pre mix in all of my equipment. Just purchased a new ms462c and the numb nuts that got the saw ready put some kind of blue premix in it, it sure wasn't stihl ultra. I purchased a new 028av super in either 84 or 85 an have used 40:1 always. I am tired of throwing so many of those little plastic bottles away. I can't find anything near me but the little bottles of ultra. What is some good substitute oil that I can find in larger quantities and would be as good or better than stihl ultra? I use 93 octane from an ag supply that has its own dedicated pump. I have many other trimmers and blowers, clippers and pruners.

High octane is not advised and your elevation is not compatible with high grade fuel. I use Walmart Supertech but a high quality low price two stroke oil comes from Lucas and there are some others worthy of mention. Maxima can be bought in 55 gallon drums too. When my son and I were racing we did not have to furnish our own fuel or oil so we did not not care how it came. A fifty five gallon drum will last more than a year. Thanks

Motorex Cross Power 2T or Amsoil Dominator. Used both in my motocross race bikes and it was Awesome. Tear down a YZ125 after 12-15 hours of hard WOT use. Piston and cylinder would be immaculate. I use Motorex because its more readily available than the Amsoil. I run it at 50-1 in all my saws old and new with great results and performance. Very little smoke and exhaust goop build up as well. đź‘Ť

Stihl Ultra comes in many sizes! You just need to find a good dealer!

2.6 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 2.6 oz. - 48/Case​

5.2 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 5.2 oz. - 48/Case​

6.4 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 6.4 oz. - 48/Case​

12.8 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 12.8 oz. - 24/Case​

1 Gallon Jug - 4/Case​

5 Gallon Pail​

16 Gallon Keg​

55 Gallon Drum​

50 to 1 premix also comes in many sizes, up to 55 gal. drums!​

Lots of good options out there, I'd be fine using any JASO FD rated oil. Echo Red Armor, Husky XP+, Yamaha 2R, Honda HP2, etc.

Nothing TCW3, nothing dual use, that works for both air-cooled and water cooled engines.
+1 for red armor, it's alil pricey when i mix it 32-1 for my vintage saws, not so bad when I mix it 50-1 for my echos. Been running it for a few years now and saws are running great.

I wonder if that is the same oil as red armor? The color and bottle are the same as red armor.
Looks like different suppliers. Echo is Philips 66, VP is Maverick Performance. The same bottle will be just a bottle supplied by a packaging company, bet that same bottle is used by hundreds of companies. They might be mixing the same recipes, but I doubt it.

https://www.echo-usa.com/EchoUSA/files/d5/d5e66496-3079-4374-82c2-ad427eb044e2.pdf
https://vplubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/X2-1050-2T-SDS.pdf
I tried comparing JASO numbers, but couldn't find the VP JASO number. Might not have helped anyway, as Husqvarna XP+ and RedMax oils have different JASO numbers, even though the RedMax jug says Husqvarna right on it.

Looks like different suppliers. Echo is Philips 66, VP is Maverick Performance. The same bottle will be just a bottle supplied by a packaging company, bet that same bottle is used by hundreds of companies. They might be mixing the same recipes, but I doubt it.

https://www.echo-usa.com/EchoUSA/files/d5/d5e66496-3079-4374-82c2-ad427eb044e2.pdf
https://vplubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/X2-1050-2T-SDS.pdf
I tried comparing JASO numbers, but couldn't find the VP JASO number. Might not have helped anyway, as Husqvarna XP+ and RedMax oils have different JASO numbers, even though the RedMax jug says Husqvarna right on it.
Great research and info! :numberone: Every time I read a oil thread I learn something new.

Your gonna get a million different replies. Most name brand 2 stroke oils these days are great and will do the job well. Ive been playing around and researching different brands for quite a few years now. Tearing down and inspecting carbon build up or gum. So far the best I've used is Opti-2 and I continue to use it. I don't use it at the recommend 100:1 ratio, but at 50:1. Even at that it burns clean with zero smoke or smell. I haven't noticed any carbon build up at all either. I buy it in gallon jugs for $58 on Amazon (sadly can't find it anywhere around me). I bought a smaller bottle of it that I full up and dump half of it into my 2.5 gallon can that equals out to 50:1.

I buy the gallon jug of Husky mix oil, I suspect that's what the p.o. ran in the 462 as it's blue. I've yet to have issues with it but it does have a bit of a smell to it when you run it. I'd just buy any easy to find oil that isn't the Stihl stuff, from what I've seen Stihl oil will cause a carbon buildup pretty quick.

High octane is not advised and your elevation is not compatible with high grade fuel. I use Walmart Supertech but a high quality low price two stroke oil comes from Lucas and there are some others worthy of mention. Maxima can be bought in 55 gallon drums too. When my son and I were racing we did not have to furnish our own fuel or oil so we did not not care how it came. A fifty five gallon drum will last more than a year. Thanks
My saws have no problem running at 8000+ feet of elevation on premium..

Latest posts

Back