Needing larger size stihl pre mix or different oil suggestions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motul 800 2T Factory Line 100% Synthetic Off Road 2-Stroke Engine Oil 4L (104039) https://a.co/d/dxzTbx9

I used Motul 2T in road race and off road motorcycles until other competitors started complaining about the stink (this was in observed trials where there's a certain amount of sitting around). They were right, it's pretty bad. I switched to Redline Allsport and continued to use that in my OPE. It smells a lot better. The engines I have torn down that have been running it look pretty clean inside. It's JASO FC.

I used Motul 2T in road race and off road motorcycles until other competitors started complaining about the stink (this was in observed trials where there's a certain amount of sitting around). They were right, it's pretty bad. I switched to Redline Allsport and continued to use that in my ***. It smells a lot better. The engines I have torn down that have been running it look pretty clean inside. It's JASO FC.
Can’t complain about bad smell , guess it’s all about type of fuel and application, it burns ok for me

I used Motul 2T in road race and off road motorcycles until other competitors started complaining about the stink (this was in observed trials where there's a certain amount of sitting around). They were right, it's pretty bad. I switched to Redline Allsport and continued to use that in my ***. It smells a lot better. The engines I have torn down that have been running it look pretty clean inside. It's JASO FC.
Redline doesn't make a Certified oil.

Stihl Ultra comes in many sizes! You just need to find a good dealer!

2.6 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 2.6 oz. - 48/Case​

5.2 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 5.2 oz. - 48/Case​

6.4 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 6.4 oz. - 48/Case​

12.8 oz. Bottle - 6 pk. 12.8 oz. - 24/Case​

1 Gallon Jug - 4/Case​

5 Gallon Pail​

16 Gallon Keg​

55 Gallon Drum​

50 to 1 premix also comes in many sizes, up to 55 gal. drums!​

Of the 30 dealers in a 50 mile radius there is no one that carries any stihl 2 stroke premix in anything other than the small bottles.

High octane is not advised and your elevation is not compatible with high grade fuel. I use Walmart Supertech but a high quality low price two stroke oil comes from Lucas and there are some others worthy of mention. Maxima can be bought in 55 gallon drums too. When my son and I were racing we did not have to furnish our own fuel or oil so we did not not care how it came. A fifty five gallon drum will last more than a year. Thanks
How many gallons of mix does one get from 55 gallons of oil? I'd have to think it would last more than a year!

I switch back and forth between the VP and Echo red Armour. Tractor Supply has the VP oil, and Home Depot has the Red Armour in my area. So just depends where I am at... Both are FD rated and seem to work pretty well in all my equipment. Very little smoke or smell from either. FWIW in the bottle, the VP appears to have slightly better film strength to it...but not by much. They both coat pretty well. I have even run them both through a little outboard motor a time or two just because I was too lazy to mix a few gallons of TCW oil...

I want to go back to running 40:1 pre mix in all of my equipment. Just purchased a new ms462c and the numb nuts that got the saw ready put some kind of blue premix in it, it sure wasn't stihl ultra. I purchased a new 028av super in either 84 or 85 an have used 40:1 always. I am tired of throwing so many of those little plastic bottles away. I can't find anything near me but the little bottles of ultra. What is some good substitute oil that I can find in larger quantities and would be as good or better than stihl ultra? I use 93 octane from an ag supply that has its own dedicated pump. I have many other trimmers and blowers, clippers and pruners.
I use to use Stihl Ultra but after buying a brand new Echo 4910 I ran two tanks through it and sent it out to be ported and the guy who was going the do the work was surprised at how dirty the engine was after taking it apart. He told me to run Red Armor which I'd done ever since. It cleaned up the particles left by the Stihl oil and clean the engine back up to like new condition. Prior to that I had only heard of red Armor but was otherwise familiar with it. However you can look on YouTube and the internet in general and you will see many growing praises for it.

High octane is not advised and your elevation is not compatible with high grade fuel. I use Walmart Supertech but a high quality low price two stroke oil comes from Lucas and there are some others worthy of mention. Maxima can be bought in 55 gallon drums too. When my son and I were racing we did not have to furnish our own fuel or oil so we did not not care how it came. A fifty five gallon drum will last more than a year. Thanks
Explain your comment about elevation?

High octane is not advised. High octane has a higher flash point. Meaning that it is harder to ignite. In a high compression racing applications then this is fine. However a chainsaw is not in this application. A lower octane rating means that the mix is easier to ignite, easier starting more power and much less cost.

Explain your comment about elevation?
Especially with chain saws that do not have high compression or load a high octane fuel is not needed. Where higher elevations are concerned a very low octane is needed. Unless an OP is right at sea level where fuel is more easily ignited then using high test fuel is not practical. My point was that the higher the elevation the longer it takes for ignition to be completed in the combustion chamber. Knowing a little bit about Texas it seemed not likely a higher octane would have much benefit with few exceptions. Thanks

How many gallons of mix does one get from 55 gallons of oil? I'd have to think it would last more than a year!
With two of us racing year round the oil went quick. However it it did last more than a year. Each bike was consuming on average fifteen gallons a week times two to three. One thing I learned about storing oil is that it needed to be agitated. So I would divide oil up in containers when oil was fresh. Then I would move container around like laying them upside down or sideways because they tend to separate. Thanks

I want to go back to running 40:1 pre mix in all of my equipment. Just purchased a new ms462c and the numb nuts that got the saw ready put some kind of blue premix in it, it sure wasn't stihl ultra. I purchased a new 028av super in either 84 or 85 an have used 40:1 always. I am tired of throwing so many of those little plastic bottles away. I can't find anything near me but the little bottles of ultra. What is some good substitute oil that I can find in larger quantities and would be as good or better than stihl ultra? I use 93 octane from an ag supply that has its own dedicated pump. I have many other trimmers and blowers, clippers and pruners.
Red armor

I wonder if that is the same oil as red armor? The color and bottle are the same as red armor.
RA is SEMI synthetic blend. Newest blend they removed the ester but kept the high price still.

VP 100% synthetic

VP cheaper by a long shot and both FD.

Just so you know. Stihl Ultra FB rated.

I run a mix of 90 octane non meth fuel and 101 octane airplane fuel that has .53 percent lead in it. I’m switching from Stihl ultra mix to Lucas mix. I mix @40-1. All 6 of my saws and weed eaters run great after many years using this gas combo. I’ve got quick access to my the 101 octane Leaded gas by means of my small airport. The trace of lead in the fuel really does reduce wear….The Stihl manual says minimum octane is 89.

Latest posts

Back