Neighbor Cut Down a Tree on My Property

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

songxxx

Reaction score
Hello all. I apologize in advance for the length of this post/question. I am hoping I can get some input about a dispute I am having with my neighbor regarding a tree that was cut down.

My neighbor took the liberty of cutting down a tree that is on my side of our property line. He owns the chain link fence (4 ft.) that goes along the actual property line between his yard and mine. About 18 inches into my property is my wood fence (6 ft.), so everything within this 18 inch gap is on my property. The tree in question I have determined to be a Black Locust tree about 40 feet tall (my guess). It’s not a particularly valuable tree from the standpoint of beauty (in fact I think it’s actually an overgrown weed), but it provided shade and privacy from our backyard neighbor, which is especially important to us.

On a Sunday in February he had a tree cutting crew start cutting down this tree. When we realized what was going on it was already cut down to the height of the chain link fence. We told the tree crew to stop and we told them they were cutting down trees on our side of the property line. They were going to cut more trees down on my side of the property. When we confronted the neighbor he pleaded ignorance, claiming that he thought the trees were on his side of the property line. A little context/background … We paid for a property survey when we purchased our home about 4 years ago so we knew where the property line was and the trees were definitely on our side. Our neighbor did not do a survey when he purchased his home about 2 years ago. We were instructed by our real estate lawyer to do a survey, which we did. My neighbor said he didn’t want to spend his limited funds on a survey. My wife and I were very upset about the whole situation and we explained the value of privacy and shade to my family. He apologized and as compensation we agreed that the neighbor would plant a tree of our choice in our backyard and we would revisit this in May. I wanted to keep things cordial with my neighbor.

Come Saturday May 14, I met up with the neighbor and we told him what tree we wanted, ie. We wanted a Crape Myrtle Tree, 6 feet tall preferably, but at least 4 feet tall. We did not tell him where we wanted it planted. He said he would reach out to a landscaper/friend he knew to see what could be done. There was no further discussion. We were expecting him to come back to us with information about what he found out, height of the tree and the correct type of tree and when we would schedule the planting and further, we expected to be informed of the time when the tree planting crew would arrive so we can explain where the tree would be planted, totally reasonable (in fact expected) from my point of view.

Fast forward to this morning Wednesday May 18, I get a text at 11am from the neighbor that the tree is coming and “can you tell the guys where you want it planted?” I texted back saying “you should have given me notice, can we schedule this another day?” and I also said “yes I am home, but I have meetings all day (I work remote).” I told him, “how would you assume I was home, and how would the crew know where to plant the tree if I wasn’t home”. He said it was “beyond his control and he was notified this morning the crew was coming”. I don't believe this. He said, “they can leave it somewhere, but I would have to plant it.” I didn’t want to do that, so I grudgingly said I would meet the tree planting crew. BTW, the neighbor was at work all day. In the meantime I texted him asking if there would be a warranty on the tree. He said he would check with the crew when they arrived. He didn’t do that and they came to plant the tree. I asked the tree planting crew about a warranty and they said they provided no warranty, nor did the nursery they purchased from, after I called the nursery and asked them about it, while the crew was there. At that point we refused to have the tree planted because we wanted the warranty that comes with tree purchases that appears to be fairly common. If the tree died after a month we wanted to have some sort of recourse. Now the neighbor is saying he did everything we asked and we brought up the warranty at the last minute.

Our view is that he gave us no notice of the planting and by rushing the job, we didn’t have the opportunity to discuss the warranty when he was supposed to get back to us before the tree was planted, which he did not. He claims he would have made the warranty possible if he had known about it earlier after we made an “agreement”. In my view, we didn’t have a fully realized “agreement” because we didn’t have ANY details of the planting before this morning. We asked the neighbor to take on the responsibility of the tree himself it it dies within a year in a written statement. Can I get your opinions about this situation?

My neighbor made two grossly bad assumptions in my view. He assumed the tree was on his side of the property in the first place and he assumed there wouldn’t be a problem if he notified me of the tree planting on the day of the planting. So far as of late Wednesday night I have not heard from my neighbor and I see the tree sitting in his backyard, left by the crew. Are there any good suggestions about what to do at this point? If I decide to take him to small claims court, how do I determine the value of a tree, not known for its beauty, but valuable to our family for shade and privacy? Thanks for reading this and sorry it’s so long, but there isn’t another way to tell the full story of what happened.

You are right no matter what you decide, it’s your property. i would highlight the survey you did by placing 4 to 6 foot galvanized pipe on the pins they set your property corners with and paint them fluorescent orange, then there are no more questions about that.

my neighbor used to mow part of my property and actually planted trees on it. I did the pipe markers and a reasonable discussion ensued. Why I say this is because he is still your neighbor and will be for some time I’m guessing, so finding a happy medium will only benefit you in ways you may not see right now. What that is again, is up to you But court isn’t in in my opinion.

good luck, but stand your ground….

I’ve never bought a tree, and never heard of a warranty on a tree except for high dollar stuff like mature palms. I’m not sure that’s even a possibility on a small tree transplant.

Some people just don’t communicate well. It doesn’t make them bad people, they just lack a skill that you have.

You didn’t ask for the warranty up front, and didn’t specify advance notice up front. Regardless of how you feel now, a court is just going to see that you were wronged by the locust being removed and that you requested something to repay you for that wrong, which has now been provided.

At this point in time, If it were me, I would kindly thank the neighbor for following through and let them know that you have a spot picked for the tree to be planted and request the company to come plant it asap. Also, request that they come back within a month to check on the tree and it’s health.

Life is so short. Don’t get too upset by the small stuff, and be friends with your neighbor!

That said, if someone cut a tree down on my property I would be rippin mad for a minute I think!

If it was a black locust that was cut down and a stump is still there, it will be back in short order. I have several of them on my property, and wish I had none. While because it was on your property and he had no right to have it cut down, I sure wouldn’t loose any sleep over that one much less take a neighbor to court over it.

1. He was wrong to cut your tree but it was on "his" side of your bigger fence, but he was still wrong.

2. He bought you a nicer tree. Why not just put a flag, bucket, cone or stake where you wanted it planted.

3. Insisting on a warranty seems a bit much. Sometimes we offer them but in this situation I would have been uncomfortable and possibly refused the work. I'm sure your a nice guy but even by your own account it sounds like your neighbor made an honest not too huge mistake and you are being very particular.

Just my opinion.

Hello all. I apologize in advance for the length of this post/question. I am hoping I can get some input about a dispute I am having with my neighbor regarding a tree that was cut down.

My neighbor took the liberty of cutting down a tree that is on my side of our property line. He owns the chain link fence (4 ft.) that goes along the actual property line between his yard and mine. About 18 inches into my property is my wood fence (6 ft.), so everything within this 18 inch gap is on my property. The tree in question I have determined to be a Black Locust tree about 40 feet tall (my guess). It’s not a particularly valuable tree from the standpoint of beauty (in fact I think it’s actually an overgrown weed), but it provided shade and privacy from our backyard neighbor, which is especially important to us.

On a Sunday in February he had a tree cutting crew start cutting down this tree. When we realized what was going on it was already cut down to the height of the chain link fence. We told the tree crew to stop and we told them they were cutting down trees on our side of the property line. They were going to cut more trees down on my side of the property. When we confronted the neighbor he pleaded ignorance, claiming that he thought the trees were on his side of the property line. A little context/background … We paid for a property survey when we purchased our home about 4 years ago so we knew where the property line was and the trees were definitely on our side. Our neighbor did not do a survey when he purchased his home about 2 years ago. We were instructed by our real estate lawyer to do a survey, which we did. My neighbor said he didn’t want to spend his limited funds on a survey. My wife and I were very upset about the whole situation and we explained the value of privacy and shade to my family. He apologized and as compensation we agreed that the neighbor would plant a tree of our choice in our backyard and we would revisit this in May. I wanted to keep things cordial with my neighbor.

Come Saturday May 14, I met up with the neighbor and we told him what tree we wanted, ie. We wanted a Crape Myrtle Tree, 6 feet tall preferably, but at least 4 feet tall. We did not tell him where we wanted it planted. He said he would reach out to a landscaper/friend he knew to see what could be done. There was no further discussion. We were expecting him to come back to us with information about what he found out, height of the tree and the correct type of tree and when we would schedule the planting and further, we expected to be informed of the time when the tree planting crew would arrive so we can explain where the tree would be planted, totally reasonable (in fact expected) from my point of view.

Fast forward to this morning Wednesday May 18, I get a text at 11am from the neighbor that the tree is coming and “can you tell the guys where you want it planted?” I texted back saying “you should have given me notice, can we schedule this another day?” and I also said “yes I am home, but I have meetings all day (I work remote).” I told him, “how would you assume I was home, and how would the crew know where to plant the tree if I wasn’t home”. He said it was “beyond his control and he was notified this morning the crew was coming”. I don't believe this. He said, “they can leave it somewhere, but I would have to plant it.” I didn’t want to do that, so I grudgingly said I would meet the tree planting crew. BTW, the neighbor was at work all day. In the meantime I texted him asking if there would be a warranty on the tree. He said he would check with the crew when they arrived. He didn’t do that and they came to plant the tree. I asked the tree planting crew about a warranty and they said they provided no warranty, nor did the nursery they purchased from, after I called the nursery and asked them about it, while the crew was there. At that point we refused to have the tree planted because we wanted the warranty that comes with tree purchases that appears to be fairly common. If the tree died after a month we wanted to have some sort of recourse. Now the neighbor is saying he did everything we asked and we brought up the warranty at the last minute.

Our view is that he gave us no notice of the planting and by rushing the job, we didn’t have the opportunity to discuss the warranty when he was supposed to get back to us before the tree was planted, which he did not. He claims he would have made the warranty possible if he had known about it earlier after we made an “agreement”. In my view, we didn’t have a fully realized “agreement” because we didn’t have ANY details of the planting before this morning. We asked the neighbor to take on the responsibility of the tree himself it it dies within a year in a written statement. Can I get your opinions about this situation?

My neighbor made two grossly bad assumptions in my view. He assumed the tree was on his side of the property in the first place and he assumed there wouldn’t be a problem if he notified me of the tree planting on the day of the planting. So far as of late Wednesday night I have not heard from my neighbor and I see the tree sitting in his backyard, left by the crew. Are there any good suggestions about what to do at this point? If I decide to take him to small claims court, how do I determine the value of a tree, not known for its beauty, but valuable to our family for shade and privacy? Thanks for reading this and sorry it’s so long, but there isn’t another way to tell the full story of what happened.
A 40' locust around here is 4 or 5 yrs old, be patient and it will be back.

I had a neighbor clear some brush and trees on my property I asked that he left the rest and shook hands it was a mistake. And being friendly with neighbors benefits everyone. Id bring him a beer and let it go. Paying for a new tree to be planted was a pretty good gesture. I don't know either of you, so I don't know if theres truly a bad guy here. if he encroaches again address it but otherwise id let it go. Good luck hope it works it self out.

Im glad I don't live where 18 inches is a matter of life and death. A locust at that? ZERO commercial value, sentimental or whatever is up to you I suppose. Plant that section between the fences in privet, wild rose, wild plums, whatever lol.
It’s worth close to nothing unless it had some tie logs in it but the lumber would have went for frame stock so close to worthless I totally agree with you on the 18’s”

A good relationship with my neighbor is worth way more than a damn tree.

Unless this neighbor had already burned the friend bridge some other way...this would not be a deciding factor on me taking him to small claims court.

Yes, he made some mistakes. Seems like they were honest mistakes.

My opinion, take the tree as a token of gratitude, plant the thing yourself because it's not that hard, have a beer with your neighbor and let bygones be bygones. A good neighbor is worth a lot.

All good advice given but there are a couple of things that have not been mentioned. (1) If the canopy of the tree on HIS side of the property line should fail and fall and damage anything on HIS side of the property line, you would be held responsible for that damage. (2) Why did he have it cut down in the first place? There has to be a reason.
Life is short. Good neighbors can sometimes be hard to find. Have a beer
and get on with life. JMHO :cool: 🍻

For the court you would have to prove monetary loss.
According to others in this thread the tree was worthless.

A licensed appraiser would have to determine the value for loss of use.

Discuss this with a property appraiser.
If you decide to do this please let us know what they say.

All good advice given but there are a couple of things that have not been mentioned. (1) If the canopy of the tree on HIS side of the property line should fail and fall and damage anything on HIS side of the property line, you would be held responsible for that damage. l: 🍻
Not the case at all unless the owner was negligent ie knew the tree was unsafe and did nothing to correct it. I would suggest you ask your insurance agent about the scenario you posted and I'm sure the response would be that your homeowners policy would pay for your structural damage .

To the OP I would just have them plant the new tree .

Having 2 fences obscures the property line. I think a judge would throw the case out - I would if I was the judge.
Why don't you just ask for your "pound of flesh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back