ArboristSite.com Sponsors

New 520 Oregon owner looking for advice, guidance

moresnow

moresnow

ArboristSite Operative
Quite simply I have never owned and rarely operated a electric bench grinder. After wearing out a few sets of hand files over the years (with both good performance's and poor:confused:) I finally decided to get it over with and bought the 520. Amazon delivered yesterday.
I am thinking about setting this thing up to match a brand new chain (by eyeballing the fit/match/angles?). I understand the factory angles are easily researched also.
My beater saw that I keep using is (shhhh). A Poulan 5020. I know it's a POS but it's been a real interesting experiment in cheap saw R.O.I.!
I am a personnel firewood user only, feeding a BK freestander that heats my home entirely with ease all winter long. I suppose I use 3+ cord a year and am happily 3+ years ahead of the game of seasoning.
My issue is that my tree service friends like to load me up on occasion and I am battling my way through a substantial stockpile this summer to finally catch up! Plenty of dirty logs unfortunately.
I do have a Stihl 441 that could/will become my go to saw. Roughly the same weight of the P.P. Mucho better quality/performance etc. I get it.

Anyway any advice will be happily taken on grinder setup and operation. Thanks all.

moresnow

moresnow

ArboristSite Operative
I've been watching the vids for sure. Lots out there for guidance. Looking forward to getting this set up. Guessing I'll get a handle on it!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Anyway any advice will be happily taken on grinder setup and operation. Thanks all.
The Oregon 520 is a good grinder, and importantly, comes with good quality wheels: the part that does the cutting / grinding.

I always encourage guys new to grinding to take a couple of scrap chains and play / experiment with the grinder:
- set up the 'recommended' angles and see what you get;
- use a chain that you like (not necessarily a new chain), place it in the grinder with the power 'OFF", and try to copy those angles / settings. They try to grind them.
- see what small changes in each grinder adjustment / setting makes on the cutters.
- try to intentionally overheat /'burn' a cutter; then work backwards to avoid doing that.
- offer to grind some chains free for your 'friends', and learn stuff, before grinding your good chains.

A couple of key things to remember:
1. Take lots of small taps, rather than maintaining sustained contact with the wheel. If you know Morse Code, use all 'dots' and no 'dashes'.
2. Check each cutter after you grind it (good lighting helps) to make sure it looks like what you want; adjust as needed.
3. Dress the grinding wheel frequently to constantly expose fresh abrasive: I do this once per loop, and anytime it feels like it needs it.

Lots of stuff in this thread:

Philbert