New adventures in Honeysuckle eradication [Cut Stump and Paint]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elric

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, the foot deep snow has been gone about a week down in the Wisconsin Tropics zone. I've been out twice to cut Honeysuckle on DNR property. The wee pink buds are coming out, stuff does not take things by half measures.... My Skil 20v reciprocating saw continues to lay the foul Servants of Darkness down... The blessings of Holy Glyphosate [25% concentration] is then applied, while chanting "The Litany of Hate" [hey, it can't hurt]. Some updates on blades... I was using the Japanese Zetsaw R-210, but the blade is a hulking 0.9mm [.035] thick. In Zetsaw's defense, they clearly list it for 14.4v and under. It "pings" when the tip slams head-on into solid wood. You'ld think it snapped, but it's still in one piece. Some teeth have the tip snapped off from hitting rocks while close-cutting, but it holds up well considering how badly it's been abused.

I tried the Milwaukee Tools "Axe" blades. They are .050 and are aggressive, but when the gullets catch on small diameter stems, it stalls the motor. The Zetsaw's teeth never catch that way, and you can start cutting small trunks without the shoe. The "Axe" blades also turn the Cambrium layer into fuzz, so when you apply the Herbicide, it isn't as apparent if the liquid will be taken up.

I will be trying the Lenox "Extra Sharp" fleam ground blades. [Ace SKU 2472363 / Lenox 121029W6R]. Ordered them through my local Ace Hardware. The local Retailers that Lenox identified do not carry this "Specialty Blade". Anyways, 6TPI, 9" long, 1.3mm / .050 thick. 5 pack for $21 [before tax...], love me those Zetsaws, but shipping from Japan was $20. The blades weren't scary expensive, but...

Figured out how to sling the RS582901 reciprocating saw, get about a foot of 3/4" velcro strap, go around the body of the saw just in front of the open handle, thread the D-Ring onto the strap with about 6" of overlap. Will not rip free. Took an old 2 QT canteen strap and hooked onto the shoe opening at the front and onto the D-Ring at the back. Resembles carrying a machine pistol.... For those using a reciprocating saw on a jobsite, or with a ready vehicle to pack it in, this may seem over-blown. But when you are hiking into public property with no vehicles allowed, it makes sense...

Woodcock are coming through. Went out Saturday with my girl and put up two singles and a double. They were loafing under... Honeysuckle... after feeding in the near-by Popple clump. That does not mean Honeysuckle is good, this stuff was spreading into the Popple saplings that were spreading out from the clump. On the plus side, there is a slight ridge nearby, and the bodies of the Honeysuckle will be unceremonially tossed into the marsh.... Burn, Heretics, Burn!

"Popple 911, what is your emergency?"

Back