New bar/chain/sprocket advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jconaway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 029 Super that I purchased several years ago which has sat on a shelf until recently. It runs out strong, but both the (spur) sprocket and bar are worn and need to be replaced (the chain is a .325 and it's the only one I have in this size). I would like to convert to a rim sprocket, anyway, so it would seem like the perfect time to swap everything out and choose the best chain/bar size for my needs. Since I currently run a 3/8" x .050 on my 034 Super and 026 it would naturally seem like a good idea to go to this size on the 029 as well. This saw will see occasional use for general purpose cutting (firewood, property maintenance, etc.) and while I like to buy the best parts possible I am not made of money and am open to aftermarket parts for the best cost/benefit ratio.
Questions:
1. Should I go with 7 or 8 tooth sprocket? My guess is 7.
2. OEM or aftermarket rim sprocket (what brand, if aftermarket?)
3. 16" or 18" bar? My 034 currently has a 18" GB Pro Top (the old Australian one) with 66 drive links, my 026 has a 16" and a couple other limbing saws have 14" bars, so perhaps it would be best to go with an 18" on the 029? That would simplify things with one chain size to fit both it and the 034. Or will it lack power with the 18"?
4. What is the best bang for the buck these days when buying a bar, brand-wise? Not looking for sub-standard quality. It'd be great to get another GB Pro Top like my other one but the Aussie ones are long discontinued. Is the Carlton Super Pro any good?

1 that saw will not pull a 8 tooth sprocket with 3/8 chain.
2 I dont know which is cheaper Oregon or OEM, get the cheaper one.
3 18 inch bars are fine just dont use all of it, I like 16's better but im short.
4 I run cheap bars, Oregon or forester are fine for fire wood. Pro bars are better if you bore cut trees all the time but the cheap ones last just as long bucking fire wood IMO.

Do you already have the drum to convert to rim sprocket? 8 pin rim isn’t gonna work too well on your saw as mentioned previously. OEM drum and rim sprocket aren’t expensive so that’s what I’d recommend. Same with the bar. Get a good one and be done with it. Replaceable sprocket tip. Carlton, Oregon, Stihl, etc.

Do you already have the drum to convert to rim sprocket? 8 pin rim isn’t gonna work too well on your saw as mentioned previously. OEM drum and rim sprocket aren’t expensive so that’s what I’d recommend. Same with the bar. Get a good one and be done with it. Replaceable sprocket tip. Carlton, Oregon, Stihl, etc.
No, my plan is to buy a whole new drum kit to convert to rim drive and stay with the 7 tooth. It looks like I found a good/great deal on a Carlton bar, so will go with that. Already have several Stihl RS chains on hand, thankfully.

Latest posts

Back