New carb on 346xp still bogs out and dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilabeez0

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I can not figure this saw out. It came to me with a bog but more so on the high end. Multiple carb cleanings in my ultrasonic cleaner did nothing. I bought a Chinese carb and put it in and took the limiters off. Last night I had it running great and set the idle and high speed to correct RPM’s with my wireless tach. Today it won’t run for ****. I can get it to idle but it immediately bogs out when you hit the throttle. I can also back the L screw out like 5 full turns and the idle remains the same. I don’t know what to do next.

Might be a defective new carb. You odds with that stuff is 50/50. Probably less than that.
Make sure you have impulse. Better yet, take off the muffler first and inspect. The hell with a gauge. Leave it in the box. Vac/Pressure test is best. If not, someone just posted a genius idea. Over forty years working on saws and I never thought of it Just spray soapy water in the general areas you want to test and pull the saw over, plug in. Look for bubbles. Not as good as a MityVac pump, but it should show what you seek.
And is a whole lot better than guessing. Check the cylinder first.

I buy a LOT of Chinese carbs, for lawn tractors, snowblowers and chainsaws......in the last five years, I've had ONE that wasn't perfect right out of the box.....may be a one percent( or less) failure rate. I don't even fire up the ultrasonic cleaner any more.

I buy a LOT of Chinese carbs, for lawn tractors, snowblowers and chainsaws......in the last five years, I've had ONE that wasn't perfect right out of the box.....may be a one percent( or less) failure rate. I don't even fire up the ultrasonic cleaner any more.
WOW that's incredible ........ you should leave for Vegas right away ..............with your luck you will be a millionaire in a few days or less ......... :yes:

I'm just giving you my experience.....I hear on line by "experts " how crappy Chinese carbs, pistons, and cylinders are.....but only had one carb and one chainsaw cylinder I wasn't 100 % happy with....I'm not trying to impress anyone....just giving my personal experience. If you have other experience.....please document and tell us...instead of mocking me....

Ive put on at least 75 chinese carbs this year and 3 oem carbs, 3 chinese carbs had problems and 1 pricey oem carb had problems, does suck when one wont tune, my go-to symptom is the low and high needles cross talking...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I'm just giving you my experience.....I hear on line by "experts " how crappy Chinese carbs, pistons, and cylinders are.....but only had one carb and one chainsaw cylinder I wasn't 100 % happy with....I'm not trying to impress anyone....just giving my personal experience. If you have other experience.....please document and tell us...instead of mocking me....
i am not mocking you .....I have tried a ton.... 50-70 carb's that are china brand i have well less than a 50% first time success rate , my rate is by the time i get a solid carb that is adjustable it is the third time of return and change ...not proactive i am glad some have better rates i have used a lot of china parts in the past decades or so , ill stick to oem unless it's A cover or muffler , same on car repairs rotors made in china are ok at best but i would never use a electronic or important part ..i believe most of Americans will agree ...however opinions very i have never had anywhere near the last two post success rate ....and it is correct they are.......... ****** compared to oem quality ........

Do a vac test is u can, if not "Brake Clean" test. See if its drawing air from around the intake boot and also crank seals. Then check compression , should be in the 150psi range. If its not sucking air from places it shouldn't and has compression.... Ignition failure sometimes sounds and feels like a lean condition. Then off to the carb and things. Of course all of the above assumes things like the spark plug, plug wire, fuel line/filter , tank vents etc has been checked are are good.

sometimes the H/L needles have different thread rates, so turns in/out don't line up with OEM, but overall I have had very good experiences with china carbs.
I have over 35 china carbs on various machines, and zero-1 failures to date from the carbs.
A lot of people claim "china junk" on here out their ass, but in reality it's all junk to a point. The chinese carbs hold up just fine for my mild professional and often daily use.

Op: check for an air leak somewhere is my 2cents.

Compression is 120. I’ll report back on further checking. I do have a mityvac

My luck just ran out, I've been using nothing but Chinese carbs as replacements, probably over 25 without a single bad one but I finally got one that was a complete dud, the orifice that the tapered end of the H screw goes into was WAY too big in diameter and the saw would run smoking rich until the screw was turned right in until it stopped against the shoulder and the saw would stop. Not a complete waste as I now have a carb with new diaphragms as well as a removable main jet check valve that would cost me $8.00 at my local Stihl dealer.

Another thing to consider besides the carb--the air filter. I had trouble with a 346 running like crap. Although the air filter looked completely clean and flawless, I took it off and the saw screamed, ran like it should. Put the filter back on and it fell on its face again. This was the vinyl screen type filter as opposed to the flocked model. I cleaned the filter and it made all the difference.

Maybe take the muffler off and look at the piston? Definite pressure/vac test. Don’t toss that old carb either. I’d put it back if you find something else.

Check the purge bulb and lines. I had a 346 that was pulling air back into the carb from a bad purge bulb that I missed initially. Drove me crazy for a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back