New CS-690 - New Member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmbz

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just purchased an Echo CS-690 with 24" bar.
Had been using a CS-490 and other smaller saws for the past few years and with all the Dead Ash, needed something bigger.
The last 6 were all over 30" diameter and the 490 was overheating.
Will be using the 690 for the first time on some smaller 20" by 60-70' tall dead Ash.

One Tree that is quite large and has already dropped some large branches is leaning the wrong way. Nothing in the path but a Maple I want to keep.

So I will need to rope it. Any suggestions for Rope and throw line for my occasional home owner use?
I have a decent come-along and a tractor (on TBN too).

Thank you for any advice-don't want to spend too much, but want to be safe
Ken
490 with 20" bar, cooling down between cuts
Saw20in20210902_175134.jpg

Do you mean a Echo CS680, never heard of a Echo CS690. If your CS490 is over heating you have it tuned too lean or your lugging it too much or both. Keep the rpm up but don't let it scream. The CS680 will cut nice, make sure it's tuned good. Steve

Sorry , CS-620 and the 490 is tuned by someone who knows more than I do.
The Ash trees are dead, so a mix of greenwood, mixed with some rot and dust. Not the easiest to buck.
more work than the Maples , Oaks and Poplars I'm used to.

Sorry , CS-620 and the 490 is tuned by someone who knows more than I do.
The Ash trees are dead, so a mix of greenwood, mixed with some rot and dust. Not the easiest to buck.
more work than the Maples , Oaks and Poplars I'm used to.
Sharpen yer chain, most over looked reason for over heating.

It would start to lug everytime I hit a transition from green to rot etc. Also a lot of bar in the wood for a long time on a cut.
Throwing nice chips, and then some rot/muck, then nice chips. I took a file to the chain right before starting.

We will see how the 620 does this weekend. I bet I will have less problems.
The 490 will pull the 20" ok, but is happier with the 18"bar. It has served me well and I have a lot of hours on it with no problems (knock on wood).
I just think I was asking too much of it. I will still use it for smaller trees and branch duty, so it'll be busy.
I have about 20 more large Ash to go, may let some of them fall on their own, but a few will block trails.
Have to worry about dropping 20-30' long branches, so as the rest of the trees drop leaves it will be time to go at more of them.
Hope to get some more trails completed, if I loop them maybe will get a 1/2 mile or so more.
Have an FS110 handlebar brushcutter and some pole saws to help.

Saws that are tuned right shouldn't overheat unless they are lugged too hard. A dull chain might cause that. Steve
My first piece of advice to anyone even before buy a chainsaw is LEARN HOW to file a chain, buy PPE. I've got a new friend who just bought a chainsaw. I told him to learn to start the saw WITHOUT a chain on the bar. Don't over reeve AND buy several files and LEARN how to sharpen a chain. I've invented my own guide after years of filing chains. It's simple. Fast and all the teeth are the correct angle. I've never let anyone see it. Don't know if ill try to patent it or not. Not even my grandson has seen it. Design something that works for you. The electric ones seemed to eat my chains up to fast. Maybe it just I grew up when almost everyone filed. I hate most of what is sold in stores. I preferred making my own. However, im kinda independent. Then maybe we all are. Maybe that's what makes us do what we do and enjoy it. Few 75 year old guys still chunking firewood. Ha. Ha. Id die if I couldn't work.

My first piece of advice to anyone even before buy a chainsaw is LEARN HOW to file a chain, buy PPE. I've got a new friend who just bought a chainsaw. I told him to learn to start the saw WITHOUT a chain on the bar. Don't over reeve AND buy several files and LEARN how to sharpen a chain. I've invented my own guide after years of filing chains. It's simple. Fast and all the teeth are the correct angle. I've never let anyone see it. Don't know if ill try to patent it or not. Not even my grandson has seen it. Design something that works for you. The electric ones seemed to eat my chains up to fast. Maybe it just I grew up when almost everyone filed. I hate most of what is sold in stores. I preferred making my own. However, im kinda independent. Then maybe we all are. Maybe that's what makes us do what we do and enjoy it. Few 75 year old guys still chunking firewood. Ha. Ha. Id die if I couldn't work.
If you don't patent and put it on the market hopefully you at least document it so it's not lost. If it's that good it shouldn't just be gone.

I learned to file before I had my own saws. Also got that PPE! I learned to file from a vet logger…..no guides. But I do enjoy a file guide to check angles. I find the guides make it hard to scoop out the gullet. But…in the world of chain filing…you’ve got to learn it and learn what works for you. Nothing will kill your saw as fast as a dull chain…..except straight gas!

Back