New guy in Washington

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junk Saw Collector

Sell me your junk Poulans!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals. I’m new to chainsaws and their uses. I’ve been scoping out this forum for a couple of months now and found a lot of tips and useful info so far. Here’s a little about myself.

I bought my house (that’s out in the woods) last year. I’ve been needing a good saw since then. I was in a bad motorcycle accident earlier this year that left me looking for a new hobby. By chance, I happened across a free McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10s. It was seized and dirty as hell when I got it. I’ve been overhauling it and having fun with it. I also picked up a McCulloch Mac Cat for super cheap. It also needs a lot of help. Then, I picked up another cheap saw, this time a Poulan 2250. This ones a runner, but needs a good cleanup and a tuneup.

I was obsessed with motorcycles and now I find myself obsessed with chainsaws. Because they’re 2-strokes, they make that same brap brap sound that a lot of motorcycles make. Lol! I have a ton of cutting to do around the property, so having multiple saws doesn’t seem to be a problem. It also seems to be the standard from what I’ve heard. So far, I really appreciate all the info I have found on this site and thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. If you all have any tips or advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

I understand the saws I have acquired are not the big expensive “pro” models from Stihl or Husqvarna, but I like them and I’m having fun bringing them back to life. Is there any noticeable difference in quality or operation between brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo when compared to McCulloch, Poulan, or Craftsman? I understand that Husqvarna owns Poulan, but that doesn’t make them the same machines.

Hello guys and gals. I’m new to chainsaws and their uses. I’ve been scoping out this forum for a couple of months now and found a lot of tips and useful info so far. Here’s a little about myself.

I bought my house (that’s out in the woods) last year. I’ve been needing a good saw since then. I was in a bad motorcycle accident earlier this year that left me looking for a new hobby. By chance, I happened across a free McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10s. It was seized and dirty as hell when I got it. I’ve been overhauling it and having fun with it. I also picked up a McCulloch Mac Cat for super cheap. It also needs a lot of help. Then, I picked up another cheap saw, this time a Poulan 2250. This ones a runner, but needs a good cleanup and a tuneup.

I was obsessed with motorcycles and now I find myself obsessed with chainsaws. Because they’re 2-strokes, they make that same brap brap sound that a lot of motorcycles make. Lol! I have a ton of cutting to do around the property, so having multiple saws doesn’t seem to be a problem. It also seems to be the standard from what I’ve heard. So far, I really appreciate all the info I have found on this site and thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. If you all have any tips or advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

I understand the saws I have acquired are not the big expensive “pro” models from Stihl or Husqvarna, but I like them and I’m having fun bringing them back to life. Is there any noticeable difference in quality or operation between brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo when compared to McCulloch, Poulan, or Craftsman? I understand that Husqvarna owns Poulan, but that doesn’t make them the same machines.
Welcome to the forum. It doesn't matter that you didn't work in the industry. What matters, is that you are addicted to chainsaws like the rest of us.
I love working with the old saws, and have not specialized in any one brand, I just collected the saws that appealed to me.
I have two 10-10 Macs, and although they are a little heavier than the newer 54 cc saws, they are a good saw for the type of work you are interested in doing. Although I am not familiar with your particular Poulan, one good source to learn about all brands of saws is,
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=155#155This site lists most of the common manufacturers, and a substantial database of chainsaws.
I don't know about others on this site, but I can state with conviction, that there are days when you need a saw and the damn thing won't start. The only solution, is to have a spare for those moments.
Maintaining two cycle engines is a black art, more magic than anything else.
Good luck with the hobby

Attachments

• Mac 10-10 lh_sm.jpg
    Mac 10-10 lh_sm.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks j-jock! That site is awesome! I appreciate it. I’m really digging the old stuff. Now I have a little bit of new flavor as well. I just got a brand-new Stihl MS 180 C-BE for my birthday. So now I have four gas saws, but only three of them are projects. That Stihl really rips for a small saw.

Hey Mac Guy 81, I was given a Mac Cat 2.3ci/ 38CC for free a few weeks back, It was sitting outside for a long time, so it is rough too. I completely tore it down and cleaned up all the parts. I was contemplating selling the parts on eBay or rebuilding it, for fun. I imagine this is not a very valuable saw at all, so not worth rebuilding. Do you need parts for your Mac Cat? If so, I have almost a complete saw. If I can help another saw collector out, I'd be happy to. Looks like I am not too far from you (Burlington), and I make my way down to West Seattle periodically, where my mom lives.
-CF

Hey Mac Guy 81, I was given a Mac Cat 2.3ci/ 38CC for free a few weeks back, It was sitting outside for a long time, so it is rough too. I completely tore it down and cleaned up all the parts. I was contemplating selling the parts on eBay or rebuilding it, for fun. I imagine this is not a very valuable saw at all, so not worth rebuilding. Do you need parts for your Mac Cat? If so, I have almost a complete saw. If I can help another saw collector out, I'd be happy to. Looks like I am not too far from you (Burlington), and I make my way down to West Seattle periodically, where my mom lives.
-CF
Valuable, probably not. I think this is one of those cases where if you wanted to do it for fun and for yourself, it could be worth it. I’ve put my Mac Cat so far on the back burner that I don’t know when I would get to it. Do you have a good use for a small top handle saw? Would you be interested in a project? I would be more than happy to help out a fellow saw collector as well.

Latest posts

Back