New here, advice requested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI, so I am not quite a rank amateur with chainsaws. I have been bringing in enough firewood to heat my home exclusively with wood for some nine or ten years now. I contracted some kind of brain fungus which has been compelling me to look at used saws for sale lately. I went from owning a simple trusty ms290 firewood saw to now having 4.
I am going to look at two Olympyk 999f saws tomorrow morning. I am told they are running fine. He is asking $600 for the pair, with three bars 2x 25" 1x 20" and 6 chains. I am thinking of picking them up to try my hand at hobby milling slabs. I am wondering, as I am pushing 50 now, if I dont take to the milling experience, could I expect to get the money back reselling these saws?
All input is appreciated.

Those are kind of an uncommon saw but are desirable for their size. Having a couple of old powerhouses around is good fun for a chainsaw enthusiast.
First let me say that you could probably resell them for what your purchasing them for if in good condition, one caveat is ;if used for milling most collectors will take that as a detriment to the saw. Milling can be very taxing on a saw and usually I suggest getting a cheap (non rare) saw to learn with for milling. A knock off ms660 or 372xp are good choices.

Thank you kindly for the reply. These are good points.
I have a rancher 460, maybe I should use that for some smaller milling projects to see if it suits me before acquiring more saws.
Those big old boys do look fun, though.

Sorry to hear about the brain fungus.
Around here we call it ‘CAD’— Chainsaw Addiction Disorder. There is no known cure, but it seems that the best treatment is to give in to it, although it has the side effects of a low bank account and an upset wife. It sometimes runs in conjunction with Firearm Addiction Disorder and/or Tool Addiction Disorder.
I suggest buying the wife some flowers from time to time, and NOT every time you make a new purchase. That’s a dead giveaway…..and you’ll be dead and she’ll giveaway your collections.

Latest posts

Back