New in timbersports

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axe

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of entering in a log chop for the past year and I was just given a Tuatahi axe for my birthday. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the correct honing stone to use and also the proper technique to sharpen it?

If you are just touching it up, just use a good quality fine wet stone and follow what was done, I sharpen mine like I do my pocket knife. If it needs major work, send it to Mike Eash.

Last edited:
honing stones

it depends on the grind of your axe . if its been ground to cut poplar(cottonwood) its fairly thin you will have to keep it sharp by using a razor hone use the hone flat or slight angle same amount of strokes either side.if its ground for hardwood a different approach is needed.

In prepping my axes or hardwood I use a ceramic hone. If what you are doing is just a quick touch up then draw it back and forth accross the edge, taking care to not only follow the blade, but also keeping your fingers out of harms way. If there is a slight ding then the technique is much the same. Take your time work the burr back and forth (one side to the other). If unsure contact you states Axemen's association, Im sure they could put you onto someone who can assist you in this. Otherwise, for new handles etc, I send my axes to Jim O'Dowd in Colac, Victoria. He is unreal!

Good luck and see ya round the chops!

Back