New land and new saw needed to replace MS 250 - MS 261 C-M?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jp_over

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Friends,

We recently retired and now have 16 acres of land that was select cut about 6 years ago.

My (2008) MS 250 which would usually see 1-2 hard weeks of use per year has recently become more of a "project" saw than a cutting saw so I'm looking to upgrade.

After a good bit of reading here on the forum I think the MS 261 C-M might be a good fit for our new property / hobby farm. Of note, mostly this saw would be for:
- clearing fallen trees
- procuring wood for the fire pit (we'll have a gas fireplace so no need to get routine firewood)
- occasional felling dead/problem trees
- saw will likely see use multiple times per month with this new property but I'm just guessing as we're new land owners

I'd like to get a good saw the first time that will last another 10 years or longer even if I have to spend a bit more than a standard MS 250. I like that the MS 261 line is a bit more powerful at just about the same weight and has some more robust "pro saw" features. Also, I have a decent Stihl dealer in town and another decent Stihl + Echo dealer about 40 minutes away.

Finally, please help me out here with 2 questions:
1) What is your personal rule on fuel? 30 days? Does this mean 30 days after mixing or 30 days after getting it from the pump? Also, I treat all my fuel with Stabil & only use 93 octane ethanol-free.
2) What the heck is CAD?

I've run chainsaws for over 30 years as a non-pro but am still learning quite a bit and humble enough to take good advice. I'm a bit frustrated now with my MS 250 as I've spent over a month watching videos to learn about repairs and changing parts but still don't have a working saw (addressed in separate thread).

Thanks for any input!

drf255,

Thanks for the feedback!

I also like the fuel advice. My rule has generally been 6 months (always treated, always ethanol free) but with my recent MS 250 problems I was thinking about going to a 30 day limit. Looks like this shouldn't be necessary.

For your limited use that 261 will last the rest of your life I would feel safe to say. Does not sound like your going to be running a saw much at all. 1-2 weeks a year , if you keep that pace up is nothing. That is a working saw. Your talking about a saw that can run every day in a crew and last easily a few years at that pace. And I'm thinking when you say a few weeks your not talking about 9 hour days running a saw.

I'd get that saw if your ok with the price. It's a solid saw with a good reputation and will fit your needs perfect. My recommendation would be different if you were cutting large amounts of firewood but your not.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

drf255,

Thanks for the feedback!

I also like the fuel advice. My rule has generally been 6 months (always treated, always ethanol free) but with my recent MS 250 problems I was thinking about going to a 30 day limit. Looks like this shouldn't be necessary.

Stabil is simply not necessary and is merely an extra expense that's gaining you nothing. My opinion, stop using it. E-free mix lasts 6 months without issue. The only reason to use Stabil is if you're trying to get gas to last as long as possible...year plus.

I really enjoy my 261. It's a joy to operate, has plenty of power. If the 18" bar is big enough I use it for felling. Obviously I can buck 30"+ logs with it if necessary to clear trails. I would rather use my 462 on stuff that big, but that comes with a weight penalty.

With my usage, I expect this saw to last 20+ years and I use mine monthly at the very least. I usually have a removal job or 3 a month plus cutting firewood for friends/family as well as cutting all the wood I need for maple syrup in the spring. Between 2 family members and 3 friends, I probably cut 5-10 cords a year myself. Then add in the removals and syrup.

Saw should last you a lifetime easy.

i think you will find the 261 outcuts the 250, in my experience as limited as it is there is just no comparison between the 2. the 250 might just find a new permanent home in the shed unless you might get the 261 pinched in a tree and have to cut it loose

For your limited use that 261 will last the rest of your life I would feel safe to say. Does not sound like your going to be running a saw much at all. 1-2 weeks a year , if you keep that pace up is nothing. That is a working saw. Your talking about a saw that can run every day in a crew and last easily a few years at that pace. And I'm thinking when you say a few weeks your not talking about 9 hour days running a saw.

I'd get that saw if your ok with the price. It's a solid saw with a good reputation and will fit your needs perfect. My recommendation would be different if you were cutting large amounts of firewood but your not.

I clarified my original post a bit. The 1-2 weeks per year use was when I was on active duty and using the saw at my mother-in-law's place during brief visits for clearing fence line & problem trees.

Now, I'll have to maintain both my 16 acres & the other 2 acre property. Overall, the saw will see use multiple times per month but it still sounds like the MS 261 C-M will be a good fit and last me a very long time.

To all -thanks for the solid feedback!

I have way too many saws.

But for maintaining 16 acres, and a couple more on the side, I'd want two saws at least. The 261 and a smaller lightweight saw in the 25 to 35cc range.

Well, with the OP being in east texas, his fuel might go bad faster due to higher heat and humidity. 3 months might be a safe time for fuel storage for him, and it might vary throughout the year as well. East Texas has some pretty good size trees too. You might want to take that into account as well.

When I was driving truck, while going down I45, you'd really feel the heat and humidity hit right around Centerville. It was really a strange feeling. Like it happened all at once.

Depending on the size of the OP's trees, I might be more inclined to look for a MS362 along with the MS261.

Side note, I'd spend some time on http://landgrantpatent.org/ figuring things out if I had land in Texas.

If you have a 250, you’d probably be better suited to a 362 and get the 250 back up and running. Gives you more scope. My father went from a 260 to a 362. They are a lovely saw and very manageable. With that said, it felt crazy springy!! You pick it up and the power head can move / flex / twist. Very strange to someone coming from a more fixed saw. Clearly it will reduce vibrations and i’d get use to it, but I must admit, I wasn’t a fan. I’m sure this is a part of all newer and bigger saws.

OP
A pro saw is a very nice thing to do for yourself.
Weight : Power on average is much better than consumer or farm saws.
The price difference is a pittance over 10years of ownership.
Consider bar length when choosing a model.
If an 18” or shorter does 90% of your work, save the weight and get the 261cm.
It’ll handle Texas hardwoods fine.
Just sharpen up and take your time.
60cc are seldom called for under 20” bar length.

OP, yes a 261cm would serve you very well and would be a big step up from a 250. I agree that it is one of the best 50cc saws ever made.

I run a 18" .325 Sugihara bar most of the time and on occasion, a 16" 3/8" Tsumura. With a muffler mod, the 261 can do most of my cutting.

I definitely vote for the 261. I have a 462 with a 20” and 28” bar and then my 261 has a 20” bar. Trying to decide whether or not to get a 16” or 18” for the 261 now. But you’ll love it.

It’s great to hear good reviews about the 261, I bought the Arctic version today over the phone.
I tried to hunt down a new 026 Arctic but none on shelves anywhere.
Would the 261 be hard to work on with the new fangled technology?
Also are any parts interchangeable between the 026 and the 261?

It’s great to hear good reviews about the 261, I bought the Arctic version today over the phone.
I tried to hunt down a new 026 Arctic but none on shelves anywhere.
Would the 261 be hard to work on with the new fangled technology?
Also are any parts interchangeable between the 026 and the 261?
Looks pretty simple after watching “Human” on YouTube dismantle an m-Tronic carb! Few extra wires and steps, but nothing that would be too difficult!

I appreciate all the replies and feedback. Just got the MS 250 running and will keep it as a backup.

I think the 261 C-M with an 18" bar will be more than sufficient for 95%+ of what I'll be doing. That other 5% I can just contract out as needed or re-evaluate down the road as "CAD" progresses.

Well, with the OP being in east texas, his fuel might go bad faster due to higher heat and humidity. 3 months might be a safe time for fuel storage for him, and it might vary throughout the year as well. East Texas has some pretty good size trees too. You might want to take that into account as well.

When I was driving truck, while going down I45, you'd really feel the heat and humidity hit right around Centerville. It was really a strange feeling. Like it happened all at once.

Depending on the size of the OP's trees, I might be more inclined to look for a MS362 along with the MS261.

Side note, I'd spend some time on http://landgrantpatent.org/ figuring things out if I had land in Texas.

Nathan,

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out but it looks like they're still working on the Texas specific info.

I appreciate all the replies and feedback. Just got the MS 250 running and will keep it as a backup.

I think the 261 C-M with an 18" bar will be more than sufficient for 95%+ of what I'll be doing. That other 5% I can just contract out as needed or re-evaluate down the road as "CAD" progresses.
Better get a 461 then just to cover that other 5%

Back