New land and new saw needed to replace MS 250 - MS 261 C-M?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s great to hear good reviews about the 261, I bought the Arctic version today over the phone.
I tried to hunt down a new 026 Arctic but none on shelves anywhere.
Would the 261 be hard to work on with the new fangled technology?
Also are any parts interchangeable between the 026 and the 261?
Pretty much a completely different saw. Not certain a single part is interchangeable.

Did you buy a C-M? That’s the auto tune version. Generally very few problems as long as you Get a good one from the factory.

I’ve ported both saws, many more 026 than 261. The 026 is much more compact and a simpler beast.

The 261 makes more power for sure. Better AV and filtration. But, it’s as big if not bigger than an 036 in physical size. 2-3 lbs lighter though.

The auto tune is the greatest thing ever, until it stops working. A malfunction is rare and usually only requires a solenoid swap (which just got pricier).

So, which would you rather drive? A new Corvette or a 1967 stingray? Pretty much the best comparison. The new one will give you better mileage and more comfort. Better overall performance. When they both stop running, the 1967 will require a $10 set of points and condenser and the new one a new computer module.

I upgraded my MS250 to a 261c early this year.
Best move I made in a long time.
I finish my work much faster.
It's my favorite saw and gets used the most at my farm. My "big" saw is a ms462c. That combo covers 99.9%.
I'm currently shopping for a tiny 12" saw for ATV/Tractor duty.

Pretty much a completely different saw. Not certain a single part is interchangeable.

Did you buy a C-M? That’s the auto tune version. Generally very few problems as long as you Get a good one from the factory.

I’ve ported both saws, many more 026 than 261. The 026 is much more compact and a simpler beast.

The 261 makes more power for sure. Better AV and filtration. But, it’s as big if not bigger than an 036 in physical size. 2-3 lbs lighter though.

The auto tune is the greatest thing ever, until it stops working. A malfunction is rare and usually only requires a solenoid swap (which just got pricier).

So, which would you rather drive? A new Corvette or a 1967 stingray? Pretty much the best comparison. The new one will give you better mileage and more comfort. Better overall performance. When they both stop running, the 1967 will require a $10 set of points and condenser and the new one a new computer module.
Great post! Thanks for putting forth the effort.
I got the C Arctic. To be quite honest I feel somewhat intimidated by all this new technology but that seems to be the name of the game these days.
Maybe an old dog can be taught new tricks but I’d much rather have that 67 Stingray.
Luckily my new Stihl guy has been selling saws for the last 40 years. I’ve always had good experience with Stihl for the most part.
Do they come with a rim sprocket as the ones I saw on the net were fixed sprockets? If so I better buy a 3/8 rim.

I got the C Arctic. To be quite honest I feel somewhat intimidated by all this new technology but that seems to be the name of the game these days.
Maybe an old dog can be taught new tricks but I’d much rather have that 67 Stingray.
Luckily my new Stihl guy has been selling saws for the last 40 years. I’ve always had good experience with Stihl for the most part.
Do they come with a rim sprocket as the ones I saw on the net were fixed sprockets? If so I better buy a 3/8 rim.

Every V2 261cm I've seen, used, or heard of come with the rim sprocket in 0.325". I'm not aware of any that came from the factory with a spur sprocket. The 261cm is a phenomenal saw man. No, it is not as light or nimble as my 026 saws, but the power difference is very noticeable - it spools up quicker and has quite a bit more torque in addition, which is a win-win in my opinion. Awesome saw man.

Thanks for the positive info. Has 325 evolved in the last decade or so, because I never really twigged to that pitch. I like all my saws running 3/8 as I don’t like mixing and matching different gauges and pitches.

325 on a 16 or 18 inch bar just seems right for 50cc saws.

50cc feels like the only true middleweight saw to me. One that crosses over from limber to firewood to light feller better than any other. And I think it deserves a middleweight chain. 3/8LP feels too fragile and 3/8 too beefy somehow.

It’s great to hear good reviews about the 261, I bought the Arctic version today over the phone.
I tried to hunt down a new 026 Arctic but none on shelves anywhere.
Would the 261 be hard to work on with the new fangled technology?
Also are any parts interchangeable between the 026 and the 261?

Thanks for the positive info. Has 325 evolved in the last decade or so, because I never really twigged to that pitch. I like all my saws running 3/8 as I don’t like mixing and matching different gauges and pitches.

Wasn't there a thread going on this "finding a heated 50cc saw" thing. A thread YOU started? I guess you just abandoned your buddies over there and found this bunch of scallywags over here??!!

Maybe it's ADD? Idk.

:chainsaw: ;)

I upgraded my MS250 to a 261c early this year.
Best move I made in a long time.
I finish my work much faster.
It's my favorite saw and gets used the most at my farm. My "big" saw is a ms462c. That combo covers 99.9%.
I'm currently shopping for a tiny 12" saw for ATV/Tractor duty.

What size bars do you run on your 462 and 261 out of curiously? I have the same saws and love them.

What size bars do you run on your 462 and 261 out of curiously? I have the same saws and love them.

I got carried away and bought all the Tsumara lightweights.

I have 16" & 18" for the 261c.
20", 24" & 28" for the MMWS 462C.

The 261 (Muff mod only) wears the 16" with 3/8 semi chisel most of the time.
The 462c wears a Tsumara 20".

One finding with the 462- with the 20" using full comp 3/8 I'm fighting the rev limiter. I find myself having to push down on it to add more load. Same problem with the 24" with skip chain.

I catch myself running it 3/4 throttle when I get tired. I'm going to take my rakers down to .028-030 and see if that helps some.
It cant be good for the engine to constantly bump around at the rev limiter....but it's not good to run at partial throttle either.
1st world problems....

Cut down an ash tree with these two today! The perfect duo! Used the 261 for 75% of the time and love it.
6b6a824d381d97bae9a8c02deb5f3cbc.jpg

261 will probably do what you need if you have a few larger trees a ms362. Or since your a homeowner and not in the woods daily the ms311 or ms391 would easily fit your needs I believe my ms250 homeowner saw is used frequently and it's closing in on 10 years old and I've cut close to 70 cords of wood before I upgraded.

Back