New Mcculloch Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCulloch1-52

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
McCulloch used to make good chainsaw's a long time ago what happen to them? who bought them? who make's them? are they any good for everyday use?

The McCulloch name is now owned by Huskqvarna/Electrolux, as well as most every other older name except Stihl and Echo. I heard a story over the weekend that Husqvarna is going to bring the McCulloch name back, don't get too excited because they are giving the name to what is now known as the Poulan Pro series. Nowadays McCulloch falls into the occasional homeowner use category.

I forgot my Fridge is a Husky. Or is my chainsaw an Electrolux? Great Fridge btw. Great chainsaw btw. My first chainsaw was a Mac. Full circle, I guess...

yes this is very true,i don't know where i read it but i read it a while back that sthill and husqvarna have a lot of the older makes bought out,so does this mean that they will all have sthil and husqvarna stamps on the older brand names saws like as you mentioned like McCulloch?
it seem that all the larger saw companies are buying out a lot of other markets,i race model cars which are 5th scale (small r/c cars) they have tuned 23cc two stroke engines which are called zenoah,now the last one i bought from zenoah (jap company) has husqvarna/zenoah on the box :)

Mcculloch chainsaws are a thing of the past. They are gone but will never be forgotton in this generation anyways. You never know, one day they might be awesome again, but not under the Husqvarna name I suppose.

The names of the past will never be leaders again as they no longer have their own R&D departments and share technology.

McCulloch used to make good chainsaw's a long time ago what happen to them? who bought them? who make's them? are they any good for everyday use?

McCulloch could not comply with tightening emissions standards in the late '90s, and closed-up shop. Filed for bankruptcy in 1999. Jenn Feng (Taiwan) bought the use of the name.

I bought one of their 35 cc saws in '06 as a cheapie backup. So far, so good, with hundreds of hours run-time on it. Relatively quiet, fuel-efficient, low-vibe, it's become my go-to saw for whatever its "14" inch bar can handle. Just wish its air-filter sealing were better; a bit of gummy rubber adhesive seals it nicely. Responds well to being worked hard and not having trees dropped on it.

Apparently Husqvarna is developing more serious models for the PPro line (e.g. PP5020), maybe readying them for a shift to more-intense-yellow paint? (from PPro's orange-yellow) Multiple-badging anyone?

McCulloch copied a chain style too close to Oregon's (Omark at the time) and got sued. Bankrupt, the name was auctioned off. I think there's some info about this on Mike Acre's site.

McCulloch could not comply with tightening emissions standards in the late '90s, and closed-up shop. Filed for bankruptcy in 1999. Jenn Feng (Taiwan) bought the use of the name.
I have an IPL for the little Silver Eagle 2012S I got recently, and it's marked as 2003 from the McCulloch Corp in Tucson, Arizona. I don't know when the saw was actually made as the sticker is damaged - it was made in Mexico.

While the saw is small and inexpensive, the basic design and layout clearly shows McCulloch design - horizontal cylinder with the bar studs off the bottom end of the engine. So I suspect they bought more than just the name and/or the timing is off.

The names of the past will never be leaders again as they no longer have their own R&D departments and share technology.

Most likely you are right, but I know of one exception to that statement. Can Am made great dirt bikes back in the 70's, they went bankrupt, and were bought out. Bombardier came up with the rights to the name. Due to lack of brand recognition, Bombardier started putting the Can Am name on all their premium ATV's, around 2005. Now the Can Am name has been resurrected, and represents the highest level ATV's in the market, uncluding a 1000cc machine that has a retail price of about $13000.

The McCulloch situation is quite a bit different, as Electrolux already has highly recognized brand names, and their Husqvarna line, if not first in the industry, is second only to Stihl.

Most likely you are right, but I know of one exception to that statement. Can Am made great dirt bikes back in the 70's, they went bankrupt, and were bought out. Bombardier came up with the rights to the name. Due to lack of brand recognition, Bombardier started putting the Can Am name on all their premium ATV's, around 2005. Now the Can Am name has been resurrected, and represents the highest level ATV's in the market, uncluding a 1000cc machine that has a retail price of about $13000.

Arctic Cat went of business came back a year later but it is different.

Last edited:

Arctic Cat went (out) of business came back a year later but it is different.

AC used Suzuki engines for decades (may still do in a few models) but gradually started making their own. I had a 1999 Arctic Cat 400 4WD ATV with a Suzuki engine. That was a 371cc water cooled engine (AC later used an air cooled 377cc Suzuki based on the DR350 for their 'economy' 400 quads) in the same family as the older Arctic Cat 454 and the larger Arctic Cat 500 (which was also used in some 500cc Suzuki quads such as my buddy's 1998 Suzuki 500 4WD). Can-Am used Rotax engines since the beginning. ATK did for a few decades as well. I used to have a 1990 ATK 406 Cross Country. Had the same basic Rotax engine as the old Can-Am 400.

Last edited:
McCulloch copied a chain style too close to Oregon's (Omark at the time) and got sued. Bankrupt, the name was auctioned off. I think there's some info about this on Mike Acre's site.

The litigation between Mac and Oregon had nothing to due with McCulloch going under. The suit was around 1963 or so. McCulloch was still king for another decade. Black and Decker was the beginning of the end for Mac. Then it was Shop Vac, then holding companies, then finally everyone's favorite: EPA :angry:

Jenn Feng kept the AZ office. But even before the bankruptcy, McCulloch was making or assembling parts in Mexico. I have new chain brake assemblies for the PM800 line that have assembled in Mexico stickers on them.

bob

I had a McCulloch 610 chainsaw several years ago in my younger days. I used to cut lots of firewood. That saw never gave me any problems and believe me, it cut a lot of wood. Even some hickory occasionally. Went thru lots of chains on that hickory, but it got the job done.
I recently acquired another McCulloch 610 someone gave me. I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I got it running by dumping gas in the carb. I think the fuel line is probably loaded with varnish from the fuel. So that will be the next step.
Too bad McCulloch sold out. That was a good saw. Not so overpriced like a Stihl. so if you acquire one and have some knowledge of chainsaws, McCulloch is a keeper.

I had a little Eager Beaver saw what a piece of crap . IF you got it started it was fine. Shut it of and it would not start to it cooled down.

Back